Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Third Party Interfaces

Old 11-07-2020, 05:08 PM

Default Mixing down in the box with Quantum 4848

Hoping someone might have some insight.
I have recently moved to a Presonus 4848 as my main input, which is also connected via TB to a Presonus Quantum 2.
I have started moving to Presonus Studio One 5 as my main DAW, as well, and this HW setup gives my a ton of I/O, which is great, as I have a bunch of HW (pres, compressors, EQ's). I have twice the I/O I had with the HD I/O, and no issues with track-intensive sessions, in regard to latency.
With the HD I/O setup, I had a mix-down chain that went through a Vintech 273, on the line out, then back into a patchbay, so I can use HW comps and EQ for mixdown, then back into PT, via an SPDIF connection, on output 15-16.
Since I am limited to 32 I/O with a 3rd party device, I am struggling to have a similar setup with the Presonus H/W, as there is no SPDIF out on the 4848 interface. There is SPDIF out on the Quantum 2, but no matter how I move I/O blocks around on the I/O page, I can't get PT to recognize this device's I/O
Hoping someone might have an idea?
Before I get am response stating I should ask over on the Presonus forum, I already have posted there, as well.
Old 11-07-2020, 07:49 PM

Default Re: Mixing down in the box with Quantum 4848

Pretty sure this is due to the 32 IO limit, which basically ignores anything above #32. Maybe if you open the Presonus routing software and try to move SPDIF to 31/32? I don't have that hardware so I have little knowledge of its capabilities in regards to the software. Many of us have been asking Avid to lift the 32 IO limit, even if its a paid option like the extra voice packs.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 11-10-2020, 11:03 AM

Default Re: Mixing down in the box with Quantum 4848

Have you set up both Presonus interfaces correctly?
In Universal Control, you need to set the aggregation order of each device and set the clocking.

The 4848 also has a channel profile setting in UC:

Channel Profile. Some third-party DAW applications, like ProTools
Native, limit simultaneous I/O to 32 ins and outs. Channel Profile
modes are provided so that you can customize your 48-channel
I/O configuration for 32-channel applications.

System Details