Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-13-2013, 11:51 AM

Default Re: trim automation not out of sync

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonthurley View Post
The difference between the trim plug and gain plug has been described in other threads as reducing the source/quantization error ratio when gaining down... as it is processed at 32 bit floating point but has to be within your bit structures headroom... like 16 bit has less headroom than 24 and 24 less than 32, etc... Trim maintains the original source signal/quantization error ratio, it only scales is down within the 32-bit framework the engine runs at 32 bit so to have a 24 or 16 bit session has less headroom than the 32 bit engine so it lowers this scaling to be within your bit ratio's headroom).
what??
i did not understand ! ,
Old 03-13-2013, 11:55 AM

Quote:
True, but what I added is that using automation nodes adds processing... when you use the gain plug you no longer have the engine automating multiple trims (meaning more nodes to process ontop of your session/plugins in real time....

So if you automation nodes are not acting in real time, I would simply stop using them and process the wave instead.. you can even setup a quick key to open the gain plug for processing, simple undo quickey if your not happy with the results and reprocess with a different setting.

So yes its essentially the same thing but your having to process it differently by using automation in real time.... from what I have heard PT will drop automation data to prevent from having an error... If you understand what that means in terms of using automation when you need it versus not using it if you dont need to (ie, clip gain). Although the computers these days should have no problem with this I assume if you have nodes on input trim, nodes on output trim, nodes on the volume, nodes on the pan, etc and then you have a lot of tracks it adds up....

I will try to replicate the issue on my home rigs which are not HD systems
oh now i get it, you are talking about the Audiosuite gain plugin....

ok, creating a quickeys to open audiosuite plugin? isnt it the same as creating a new windows configuration and access it with the keyboard ??
Old 03-13-2013, 12:28 PM

i am going to ask a little bit non related question to this thread..

do you think that using quickeys (software) would be as effective as using the keyboard/mouse preferences in OSX to create macros and such??

which one method would be more stable when going from system to system??
I mean, could I use these macros in other studios if I take them with me on a usb or something???

The way I see it, is that keyboard/mouse preferences in OSX would be more stable when going to other systems...
what do you think?

Thanks a lot

EDIT: also , do those other systems need to have quickeys or keyboard maestro installed for it to work?
Old 03-13-2013, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amoretam View Post
i am going to ask a little bit non related question to this thread..

do you think that using quickeys (software) would be as effective as using the keyboard/mouse preferences in OSX to create macros and such??

Quickkeys is amazing and does SO MUCH more than using MAC key commands. For instance you can trigger a combination of keyboard shortcuts at once...

which one method would be more stable when going from system to system??
I mean, could I use these macros in other studios if I take them with me on a usb or something???

Quickkeys is extremely stable. Going from system to system requires the systems to all have quickkeys (unless you carry an installer and reg code on a thumb drive and make sure you have installers for multiple OS (like Tiger, to Leopard, to Snow Leopard, to Lion, to Mountain Lion) as certain versions work with certain OS

The way I see it, is that keyboard/mouse preferences in OSX would be more stable when going to other systems...
what do you think?

Thats the best way if you are roaming around systems, I have QK's installed on all my rigs so I dont worry about that. It is extremely powerful and can save loads of time.

Thanks a lot

EDIT: also , do those other systems need to have quickeys or keyboard maestro installed for it to work?
I think I answered that above....
Old 03-13-2013, 03:06 PM

Quote:
I think I answered that above....
As i work on other studios as well, I am going to have to prepare my Mac commands for those situations (equivalent quickeys commands except macros), unfortunately I wont be able to create macros, but something is something, and I will use quick keys for my studio..

do you know the way to carry my mac commands around, where should I find the file??

Thanks a lots
Old 03-14-2013, 02:23 PM

I believe the files are located here:
[YourUserName]/Library/Preferences

I've yet to try copying the file and transfer it to another computer...

I also believe there is a plist file for Pro Tools keyboard commands so you would probably have to copy both files to move into another system...

Let me know how it works If you do it.
Old 03-14-2013, 03:18 PM

Quote:
I believe the files are located here:
[YourUserName]/Library/Preferences

I've yet to try copying the file and transfer it to another computer...

I also believe there is a plist file for Pro Tools keyboard commands so you would probably have to copy both files to move into another system...

Let me know how it works If you do it.
thanks bro, ill let you know