Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-09-2006, 02:13 AM

Default Digi002 conflict with MediaPlayer, MSN & Quicktime

Hi there,

I'm running Mac OS 10.3.9 on an iBookG4 which I have for about a year now. I also have a Digi 002 (Rack Version) with Pro Tools LE, version 6.9

Since a while (I don't know exactly when) I experienced some strange compatibility errors between (I thought) iTunes and the new MSN Messenger 5.0 for Mac (and also errors when trying to play audio and video in Windows Media Player and Quicktime). I went to an authorized Mac Dealer, they checked it in the store and everything functioned allright.
So I went home and thought the problem might have to do something with my Digi 002 and indeed, when I DON'T play audio through the DigiCore Audio Manager

--> MSN functions properly while iTunes is playing music (meaning: I stay online and receive and am able to receive and send everything. When iTunes is playing music through my Digi002, in some strange way after a while I don't get any more messages, I still can send them, but no one gets them, so basically: I can't do anything, because MSN doesn't function correctly)
--> Windows Media Player plays songs and video clips correctly (when trying to play through DIGI002, I get an error message, saying that the file format is not compatible with Windows Media Player, although it can't have anything to do with the file format, because when I don't use the DIGI002, Media Player CAN play it)
--> Quicktime Player 7.0 works properly (meaning: when I try to play songs in QT7.0 using DIGI002, I manage to play them once, but when I want to play the same song a second time, QT freezes after 5 seconds of playing time).

A simple solution would of course be not to use my Digi002 anymore with those programs, but my monitors are connected to my Digi002 and the audio coming out of the iBook is far from what you would call great...)

I read about the Quicktime 7.0 problem and the temporarily solution (downloading version 6.x.x), so I don't really need an answer on that question (I don't use QT very often anyway), but I'd specifically would like to listen to my music again when talking to people on the net without having to double check if they still get my messages and if I still get theirs and without having to nottice this is not the case and so without having to restart all the time or chat in pure silence...

Please help me, thx...
Old 01-09-2006, 05:08 AM

Default Re: Digi002 conflict with MediaPlayer, MSN & Quicktime

protools 6.9 is compatible only with mac os 10.3.8

System Software

Pro Tools LE 6.9 is officially supported on Mac OS X 10.3.8 (Panther)

Mac OS X 10.3.9 has not been fully tested with Pro Tools and is therefore not recommended
Old 01-09-2006, 07:25 AM

Thx, so if I upgrade either Protools to version 7.0 or MacOS to version 10.4, the problem should be solved (or should I upgrade both of them, because 6.9 is also not compatible with 10.4 --> where can i find this information btw?)

Thx already
Old 01-09-2006, 07:49 PM

Another simple solution would be to use the onboard audio for these programs and run a mini plug to stereo RCA plugs, patch it into the alt source jacks and just push the alt-source listen button when you wish to hear non-protools playback.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 01-10-2006, 03:31 AM

Nice idea, but in this case the Digi002 rack still has to be turned on, so the conflict between programs still remains (and by the way; in PT 6.7 I had a DigiCore Audio Manager in which I could choose and select which programs should use the DigiCore Audio Manager; I can't seem to find this function in 6.9 anymore (looked it up in the manuals and nothing is mentioned about selecting programs which should run their audio through the Digi002 ... or am I wrong?)

Grtz
Old 01-10-2006, 07:33 PM

Default Re: Digi002 conflict with MediaPlayer, MSN & Quick

Another simple solution would be to avoid Microsoft on a Mac. There are plenty of other messeging sevices out there.

As for WMP, well, it is what it is mostly because of who made it.

Maybe this will change now with the move to Intel, but I'm not holding my breath.

BTW I'm using CAM 6.9 with my 001 on 10.3.9. It works great, but I haven't upgraded QT or iTunes this time. I haven't installed any M$ either. Don't think I will. Everything just works.