Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 02-04-2004, 05:36 PM

Default FXPansion Help

I loaded the FXPansion and also loaded a VST and can't get anything to work.

Is FXPansion loaded to program files or Program/Common files/Digidesign/DEA/Plugins?

Also Where do you put the VST plugin?

I can't seem to figure it out or recognize anything in plugins when I have ProTools session up.

Thanks for any help.

Mike

July

MP3's
Old 02-04-2004, 05:54 PM

Default Re: FXPansion Help

Fred, wasn't this already answered in this post?
-HD I/O 8x8x8. -HD Omni -Avid S3

-API 2500 -API 5500 -UA 2-1176 -UA 2-610
-Neve 1073, Chandler LTD-1 -Eventide H8000FW -Lexicon PCM96
-Bricasti M7. -Joe Meek channel.

-Waves Mercury, Flux all, Softube All, Plugin Alliance all, McDSP all, Sonnox All, MH production, Wave Arts,a bunch more
-Moog Voyager XL, Nord Piano, Hartmann Neuron, ARP Axxe, Gibson Les Paul, Mesa Boogie Roadster, Kemper, Taylor T5 and T5-12
Old 02-04-2004, 06:21 PM

I scanned that thread and didn't see this specifically mentioned, or it was unclear...somebody had to show me how to do this too, because I just got it myself.

Fredsparky/Michael,
Do you see the 'VST to RTAS Configure' icon on your desktop, now that the wrapper is loaded? If not, do a search for it, and send it to your desktop. Once you run your VSTs through this, they should show up in your plugins list.

If you've already done this and have loaded a plugin it as midi, but still can't hear it, let me know. I'm new on this too, but I do have it working.

Also, Nikki-K saved us a lot of trouble by compliling a list of tried and true VST plugins...if you need it.

-Roy
Old 02-04-2004, 06:36 PM

Hey Cliffy. Yes you did respond and quite well to my original post. You wrote:
"1-The Fxpansion program loads into in ts own directory.
2-VST and VSTis need to be placed in the Fxpansion plug-ins folder. You then hit the Wrapper program and it will wrap AND place the wrapped plug-in the Digi-Common files-Plug-in folder. Very neat.
3- It works with VSTs and VSTi's
4-Of course you need midi to play VSTi's. Thats how they work.
5-to avoid obscurring pligins, create subfolders for the bad ones and name the folder starting with the letter z. E.g. zizotope. And drag the plug in the the subfolder. It will now appear at the end of the list."

But I'm a DUMMY sometimes. Here's where I am:
I loaded the wrapper and it is in Program Files. In the Program Files/FsPansion there are several files: a VST folder with nothing in it; an install doc; a manual; a VSTRTAS CFS; some templates and a coyote wah (I loaded) vst zip file. The unzipped coyote wah.dll is in an unzipped foler somewhere else. I pprobably need to put it somewhere.

If I go to programs in start menu I find the FXPansion and if I open the program there are two files : a manual and the config utility. If I open the config utility I get a popup with two choices: "add and detect VST and remove".

Nothing shows up in ProTools if I open up the plugins window in a session.

I then unzipped the coyote wah into the FxPansion plugins folder and it recognized it when I ran the CFG and selected detect- but still nothing shows up when I open a plug in insert.

I'm sure I'm putting things in the wrong place. Can you give me more advice??

Thnaks very much.

Mike

July

MP3's
Old 02-04-2004, 06:46 PM

Hey Cliff and Roy. Thanks very much. I had to close PT and when I opened it back up, I found the VST in the plugins insert. I REALLY appreciate your help and I think I'm on my way!! Now I'm going to try to figure out how not to junk up the inserts menu and find some good VST's. Any additional advice would be greatly appreciated.

Again- thanks sooo much!!

Mike

July

MP3's
Old 02-04-2004, 08:00 PM

Fredsparky ( Mike?), Roy was right. My explanation was quick. Just to put you at ease, you drag the .dll VST plug-in into the "vstplugins" subfolder of the Program Files - Fxpansion -VST2RTAS - vstplugins folder. When you use the wrapper, double click the desktop icon or go into Start - Programs - Fxpansion VST to RTAS Adapter - VST to RTAS configure. Select Detect and Convert VST Plugins. All the VST plugins ( usually with the .dll extension that you manually dragged or automatically installed to the folder described above will be converted to RTAS plug-ins with the prefix VW and these will automatically be installed in Program Files - Common Files - Digidesign - DAE - Plugins.

pant pant pant. Now I know how how Nikki-k feels!

Thats all there is to it. You may need to reboot and you will definitely need to restart PT.

-Waves Mercury, Flux all, Softube All, Plugin Alliance all, McDSP all, Sonnox All, MH production, Wave Arts,a bunch more
-Moog Voyager XL, Nord Piano, Hartmann Neuron, ARP Axxe, Gibson Les Paul, Mesa Boogie Roadster, Kemper, Taylor T5 and T5-12
Old 02-04-2004, 08:18 PM

Hey Cliffy. Thanks again. I installed a bunch of VST's to try out and then experienced a problem with some of them knocking out the protools program and I had to reboot. Have you experienced this problem?? Anyway, I deleted all the VST's I loaded and I'm going to try to find some good ones. Do you have any suggestions?? Also, I read where you and IntelDoc suggested setting up subfolders to get the vst's to the end of the inserts in protools. Can you give any guidance on that? I know you are supposed to set up a subfolder somehow. But just what kind of a subfolder and where do you set it up to get them to the end of the inserts in PT?

Also, do you have to go to the config file everytime you launch PT or do you just have to get it to recognize the new VST's that were added. Finally, can you just select some of the VST's to be loaded into the inserts via the cfg or are they all just automatically loaded when you select the "detect and install? I had gotten a list of some free VST's from Nikki but she couldn't find the latest. Do you know of a list or a post for afew of the best ones?

Thanks much. You've been a great help and I really appreciate your patience!

Mike

July

MP3's
Old 02-04-2004, 09:10 PM

the subfolder trick works like this:

In the Dae - Plig-ins folder, you make a bunch of subfolders with the name of each plug-in. Now if you prefix the folder name with the letter z ( but don't change the name of the plug-in relocated to that folder) and drag the relevant VST or any plug-in into that subfolder, in PT , the corrtect original name will appear in the plug-in list that appears when you open the insert pull-down, BUT, its location will be alphabetical based on the name of the subfolder that contains the plug-in.

Once the VST has been "wrapped" it does not get re configured ever again. When you add new VST .dlls to the fxpansion vstplugins folder, you run the configure agin and all new plug-ins that have not been wrapped yet get converted. All VSTs loctaed in this vstplugins folder get converted. To select whicj=h to gvet converted, just remove the .dll's of those you don't want and relocate them to a temp folder that you can create

Some VSTs don't wrap well. Some, such as "The Grand" require a system reboot but only once - now its stable.

VSTs are fine and dandy but if you get too caught up in getting every free one ( of which in most cases I believe you get what you pay for) you will forget why you are using Protools in the first place. I was a gear hound for months and never recorded a single note. Now I record and don't look for every VSTi or new compressor insert ouit there.

Just my 2 cents

Old 02-04-2004, 10:04 PM

wow, you guys seem to know your stuff. i was wondering if there is a book, or good tutorial as in 101 of instaling softsynths and plug ins, sample cd etc... im just about to start getting into softsynths, the wrapper etc...but im nervous. im definately no pc expert and am a little worried ill screw something up. thanx for any help...
Old 02-04-2004, 11:25 PM

No need to be nervous. When you have a fine system, and your system starts crashing after loading plugin "XXX", the reason of the crashing is simple....plugin "XXX". Then you remove the .DLL from the VSTplugins folder, run the wrapper again, choose delete/remove all plugins, and then convert all plugins again. After that, uninstall the problematic plugin completely. Thats it.

Some need even less. They are just the .DLL, so removing the DLL from the VSTplugins folder and rebuilding the VST2RTAS plugins is enough. For the timeframe of this...i think its all done is less then 60 seconds.

Bastiaan