Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Win)

Old 10-05-2010, 06:42 AM

Default Need some advice before switching to PT

Hello,

I am completely new to this forum and to the world of Pro Tools, but I really like what I have read and seen so far.

I am currently using a different DAW and planning to switch over to PT but I have a few questions I would like to find an answer before I go out and buy what I need.

1) Is the latest PT M-Powered version stable on Windows 7 64bit Ultimate?

2) Will Rewire between PT and Sibelius 6 work if I use Windows 7 64bit Ultimate. My current DAW won't allow Rewire between 64bit and 32bit applications.

3) I currently use an M-audio FW410 with the latest Windows 7 64bit driver and wonder if PT M-Powered works well with this audio interface.

4) I am wondering whether using PT LE8 with the new Mbox audio interface is a more stable and better option than PT M-Powered with M-Audio FW410.

5) Regarding the new Mbox audio interfaces, is it better and more reliable the USB2 or Firewire model?

Thanks a lot for any help and advice.

All the very best to all here at the Avid audio forum.
Old 10-05-2010, 07:11 AM

Default Re: Need some advice before switching to PT

Big question:

Why are you wanting to be on Windows 7 64-bit Ultimate? In other words, what do you hope to gain by adopting that version of Windows 7 for digital audio (especially in the light of the concerns you bring up...?)
[email protected]
631 786 3924

Freelance Mac/Pro Tools tech for hire. Metro New York Area.
Old 10-05-2010, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by promixr View Post
Big question:

Why are you wanting to be on Windows 7 64-bit Ultimate? In other words, what do you hope to gain by adopting that version of Windows 7 for digital audio (especially in the light of the concerns you bring up...?)
Hi Promixr,

thanks for your reply. I am a PC user and I want to be able to overcome the 4GB limit. Are you suggesting perhaps another OS?

Looking forward to any thoughts and suggestions you may have. I currently use Cubase 5.5 which is 64bit.
Old 10-05-2010, 08:18 AM

How exactly (in terms of workflow) is 4GB limiting you?
[email protected]
631 786 3924

Freelance Mac/Pro Tools tech for hire. Metro New York Area.
Old 10-05-2010, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by promixr View Post
How exactly (in terms of workflow) is 4GB limiting you?
Well I currently compose and produce my music on one PC with the following specs:

- Intel Core 2 Quad CPU Q6600 2.40 GHz
- 8GB RAM DDR2
- 64bit Windows 7 Ultimate
- 2x 500Gb HD in Raid 0 (total 1Tera) for the OS+working on audio & MIDI sessions (7200 rpm)
- 1x 500GB for sample libraries (7200 rpm)
- 1 x 1 Tera for sample libraries (7200 rpm)

I mostly work in the realm of MIDI with RAM hungry VST instruments but I am also planning to go back to compose electroacoustic music and sound design with many audio tracks and processing.

I also want to set up a mobile studio when travelling with my Dell Precision M4300 laptop:

- Intel Core 2 Duo T9500, CPU 2.6 GHz
- 4GB RAM DDR2
- 64bit Windows 7 Ultimate
- 1 x 200GB for OS + working on audio & MIDI sessions (7200 rpm)
- 1x 1 Tera external HD using an e-SATA card for sample libraries.

Once again many thanks for any suggestion and help.
Old 10-05-2010, 09:30 AM

1) Is the latest PT M-Powered version stable on Windows 7 64bit Ultimate?: Yes

2) Will Rewire between PT and Sibelius 6 work if I use Windows 7 64bit Ultimate. My current DAW won't allow Rewire between 64bit and 32bit applications. : IDK Some else?

3) I currently use an M-audio FW410 with the latest Windows 7 64bit driver and wonder if PT M-Powered works well with this audio interface.: Yes

4) I am wondering whether using PT LE8 with the new Mbox audio interface is a more stable and better option than PT M-Powered with M-Audio FW410.: Yes.. I dont like the FW410

5) Regarding the new Mbox audio interfaces, is it better and more reliable the USB2 or Firewire model? Firewire always

Main:
Model: Dell 5750 Precision Workstation
CPU:*Intel Core Processor i7-10750H (6 Core, 12MB Cache, 2.60 GHz to 5.00 GHz,
Memory:64GB, 2X32GB,DDR4 2933Mhz Non-ECC
OS M.2 512GB PCIe NVMe, Record Intel 1TB SSD, 2T SSD, 1TB SSD
Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 3rd Gen
AVID Pro Tools 2023.12
JBL LSR4328P 8"
JBL LSR310S 10 inch Powered Studio Subwoofer*
Yamaha HS50M Studio Monitors
Alesis Elevate 3 Studio Monitors
M-Audio Axiom 61 Midi Controller
Old 10-05-2010, 10:12 AM

Thanks a lot justus1900 for your feedback, much appreciated!
Old 10-06-2010, 05:36 PM

I've found PTMP to be more stable on Win7-64 Ultimate than it was on XP. This is largely because it significantly relieves the memory limitations on both PT and the OS.

Being able to use 4GB executibles is a significant improvement. By being able to hold larger sample sets in memory, performance improves because you aren't accessing the disk as frequently. I don't run executibles over the old limit, 3GB, very often. However, I noticed that PT becomes less stable as you get closer to the maximum executible size - even if you don't seem to exceed it. The extra GB makes a significant difference, even if you don't feel you are using it.

Also significant is that your PCI cards no longer need to be addressed out of the same address space that is assigned to your RAM. This means your 4GB of RAM really is 4GB. I have 6GB in my PC, and I find it's plenty. The extra 2GB above the max executible size is enough to run all OS functions without swapping any of them out to disk. This also greatly improves the stability of PT.

I also recommend giving jBridge a try if you need to occupy even more RAM. I found that it worked perfectly for the programs I was using. However, I also found that since 4GB was plenty of memory, I didn't really need to keep using it, so it's not in use now.