Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 01-09-2009, 10:53 AM

Default MacBook pro: is it capable for MBox2Pro and PTLE?

I need some advice / assurance that I'm doing the right thing for my mobile studio.

Currently I have an MBox2 Pro, PTLE 7.4, and a Glyph FW drive.

My aging PowerBook G4 is done, it just can't keep up. I had 6 tracks up last night and it was a constant "CPU overload" battle. So I've ordered a MacBook Pro 2.5 Ghz intel core 2 duo with 4 GB ram and a FW expresscard.

Maybe it's buyer's remorse or just plain digital frustration (I am a vibraphone player - no Ram needed there!), but I need to know if the MacBook Pro with PTLE (8) will be able to handle what I throw at it.

Here are my concerns:

1. the "CPU overload" issue?: will the new MacBook Pro thwart this in general? (E.g., last night I had only 3 plug-ins running: East West Fab Four, McDSP compressor, and TimeWarp - I got the "CPU overload" constantly)

2. PTLE8 reading sampler libraries?: I have many gigs of sample libraries like Komplete 2. Before I upgrade the NI software to newer samplers, or get DigiDesign Structure, will the MacBook Pro / PTLE8 be able to read these "old" sample files?

2a. Is DigiDesign's Structure the best sampler optimized for PTLE8 and the Mbox2 pro with a laptop? Is there another sampler that anyone would recommend that will read Komplete (Native Instrument) files? One that runs efficiently?

3. General studio use: I typically run up to 24 tracks of audio will common plugins (eq, comp, mastering) and often with video. When I'm working freelance, I'm on HD 192 systems on G5's that have no problem keeping up. Generally speaking: will the MacBook Pro / PTLE8 keep up? How many plugins can I run?

Thanks for any advice. I know there are lots of questions here. Feel free to just pick one! :)
Old 01-09-2009, 11:16 AM

Default Re: MacBook pro: is it capable for MBox2Pro and PTLE?

Quote:
Originally Posted by glankrudolph View Post
I need some advice / assurance that I'm doing the right thing for my mobile studio.

Currently I have an MBox2 Pro, PTLE 7.4, and a Glyph FW drive.

My aging PowerBook G4 is done, it just can't keep up. I had 6 tracks up last night and it was a constant "CPU overload" battle. So I've ordered a MacBook Pro 2.5 Ghz intel core 2 duo with 4 GB ram and a FW expresscard.

Maybe it's buyer's remorse or just plain digital frustration (I am a vibraphone player - no Ram needed there!), but I need to know if the MacBook Pro with PTLE (8) will be able to handle what I throw at it.

Here are my concerns:

1. the "CPU overload" issue?: will the new MacBook Pro thwart this in general? (E.g., last night I had only 3 plug-ins running: East West Fab Four, McDSP compressor, and TimeWarp - I got the "CPU overload" constantly)

2. PTLE8 reading sampler libraries?: I have many gigs of sample libraries like Komplete 2. Before I upgrade the NI software to newer samplers, or get DigiDesign Structure, will the MacBook Pro / PTLE8 be able to read these "old" sample files?

2a. Is DigiDesign's Structure the best sampler optimized for PTLE8 and the Mbox2 pro with a laptop? Is there another sampler that anyone would recommend that will read Komplete (Native Instrument) files? One that runs efficiently?

3. General studio use: I typically run up to 24 tracks of audio will common plugins (eq, comp, mastering) and often with video. When I'm working freelance, I'm on HD 192 systems on G5's that have no problem keeping up. Generally speaking: will the MacBook Pro / PTLE8 keep up? How many plugins can I run?

Thanks for any advice. I know there are lots of questions here. Feel free to just pick one! :)

I don't really have time to go through all of your questions, and they are all asking the same thing really. Is my Macbook good enough?

That MBP with 4gb ram will take care of all of your questions easily. Your powerbook is a Model T compared to the system you just purchased.

If you want real hard facts, do a search. All of these questions have been answered in detail.
Old 01-09-2009, 11:54 AM

I got my Macbook Pro in spring of 2007 and the thing is still a beast. I've recorded 16 tracks for upwards of 80 minutes (to a FW 800 drive) on my Macbook using a 003 and a Focusrite OctePre. It's more than capable.

That was with 2 gigs of ram running 7.4. The first week that I ran PT8 on the machine I noticed it wasn't as responsive. I upgraded to four gigs last week and now it's working like a dream!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OP
General studio use: I typically run up to 24 tracks of audio will common plugins (eq, comp, mastering) and often with video. When I'm working freelance, I'm on HD 192 systems on G5's that have no problem keeping up. Generally speaking: will the MacBook Pro / PTLE8 keep up? How many plugins can I run?
I recorded an entire album on the MBP this past summer and I never had computer issues. To answer your questions. Yes, PT8LE supports video just fine. As far as keeping up with an HD system it all depends on the amount of tracks and plug-ins you're using. PT8LE has 48 voices. So that's 48 mono audio tracks, or 24 stereo audio tracks. Now voices are also used for plug-in's. A plug-in on a mono track takes 1 voice, a stereo track takes two... So yes you could run a session with 24 tracks with EQ and compression on a lot of your tracks. If you feel like you're going to be lacking voices buy the Music Production Toolkit 2 and that'll up your PT8LE system to 60 voices.
Old 01-10-2009, 04:05 PM

Brand new computer. Mac Book Pro 2.5 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo / 4 gig ram / 10.5.4 with PTLE 7.4.2

Same problem. But now there is a maxed out credit card involved and I am beyond frustrated.

I followed all the steps on this page:

http://duc.digidesign.com/showthread.php?t=54888

and this "burningly fast" (per the Mac salesperson) MacBook Pro is doing the EXACT SAME THING.

When it crashes and shows the "you are running out of CPU power", the SYSTEM USAGE is barely in the green. Not even 5 %. The virtual guitar Fab Four is showing CPU usage at 3%. There are 5 total plugins open.

Here is a link to a snapshot of the crash:

http://glankrudy.smugmug.com/gallery...101_TwDP6-A-LB

As you can see, the green system usage is barely green.

I'm calling Digi tech support on Monday, then I'm going to switch to Logic. I'm done.
Old 01-12-2009, 11:50 AM

I've got exactly the same problem with my MBP with pretty much an identical configuration. Would be interested to understand what you find out after your call. I'm trolling threads now for "optimization" tips.

Having built, configured and used the Quadzilla (AMD 4 Proc Opt) HD1 system, I'm a bit frustrated with this "powerhouse" Mac. I've looked at the Activity Monitor (OSX) and it shows PT at over 120% CPU (2 procs...that's 60% per proc) when running most any Arturia plug-in.

I've had better success with my Korg series (Legacy - Digital and Analog) as well as with Structure LE. I've even added Waves Plugs (IR1) and not had an issue, but not able to run more than a few tracks at a time (have to inactive those not in use).

Bodie
iMac 3.06ghz, 16Gb, 2Tb, OSX 10.6.2
Minimoog Voyager, Liberation, Taurus, Phatty
Korgs, Nords and more
Arp 2600s & Ody
Old 01-13-2009, 12:21 PM

I'll post whatever answers Digi gives me, along with a list of 5 other questions / concerns I have.
I'm on hold with DigiDesign as I type this.
Old 01-13-2009, 03:05 PM

I'm using new MBP 15" 2.53GHz 4GB RAM, PT8, MBox2 Pro, usually a good amount of plugins, but none of the ones you mention. I wouldn't be so quick to blame Pro Tools for this as I haven't seen this myself. I upgraded from a G5 iMac and have been quite pleasantly surprised at all the extra power.
Old 01-13-2009, 03:29 PM

Weird, I've never had those sorts of problems with my MBP. Sorry to hear you are... what's your CPU limit at?

Also, try updating to 10.5.5 with the combo installer.
http://support.apple.com/downloads/M...5_Combo_Update
Old 01-13-2009, 08:23 PM

I use a MBPro Dual 2.5 with 3 Gigs of RAM. I was using a Dual 1.8 G5 prior to this. Before I bought the Mac Book I went to the Apple store and compared what Logic 8 can do on it vs the G5. They pitched it as super fast but it was no faster than the G5 (I confirmed this further when I brought it home)

I can bring this computer down in Logic with SD2, True Pianos, Scarbee bass on Kontakt and two instances of of waves GTR and 5-7 instances of a waves compressor/EQ.

I find the same in PT8 using 1 proc @99% and a buffer of 512. I used to use PT many years ago but moved to cubase and then Logic 8. I decided to get back into it (MBox Pro) when my brother and I decided to write music together and he wanted to use Protools.

I've comitted to finishing a song in PT8 (mainly because i want to use Elastic Audio - both to tighten parts and to mess with the tempo). I find EA works well - way better than the cubase version. In order to work as I have in Logic though I've made stereo stems for every track I have. The tracks are bussed to the stems through a pre fader buss. When I run into cpu problems I mix down the tracks I'm not focused on and then make them inactive.

This process works well especially when you take advatage of colors and groups. Since the MIDI editing is now up to snuff I've gotten as close as I can to how I work in Logic with this setup. Though I must say, nothing quite beats hitting that freeze button in logic and have it automatically write the file for you (faster than real time).

Bottom line is, even if you have worked through all the troubleshooting, you can bring a Mac Book Pro down pretty easily with certain plugs and VI's.

If PT8 can build in some type of freeze function I could see myself using more often in the future.

Carl
Old 01-14-2009, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glankrudolph View Post
When it crashes and shows the "you are running out of CPU power", the SYSTEM USAGE is barely in the green. Not even 5 %. The virtual guitar Fab Four is showing CPU usage at 3%. There are 5 total plugins open.
Well it's possible that it's Fab Four that's the problem. Many, many people are having big problems with Play. Troubleshoot using a different VI. BTW lots of people are having the exact problems with Logic as well. (including me)