Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 06-24-2021, 10:24 AM

Default Video File Loading in PT 2021.6

Just updated a system to 2021.6

Mac Mini 2018
HD Native Thunderbolt-Avid Omni
Samsung T5 SSD for session storage

Screen recorded it here: A session with quite a few video files takes about 10 times longer to open that it did in Pro Tools 2020.12. Oddest thing is that unlinked video is actually much faster, as i did in the video if you move the video files or whole session the session opens much quicker and you can relink video from there, which... even though it pinwheeled a bit in this case,I think ended up in me actually being able to hit play in the session a little quicker than if the video was linked in the first place.

Anyone else seeing this behavior?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFroqGQTgxM
Old 06-24-2021, 10:41 AM

Default Re: Video File Loading in PT 2021.6

There were issues with this in 2021.3 (and possibly 3.1?) related to sessions taking a very long time to open when there were references to unlinked video files. Maybe they fixed one issue and broke the other? How fast do the sessions open once they have been opened, linked/relinked, saved and reopened? With the previous bug, once all the references to unlinked files were resolved, the sessions opened at normal speed again.
Old 06-24-2021, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by originalscottyg View Post
There were issues with this in 2021.3 (and possibly 3.1?) related to sessions taking a very long time to open when there were references to unlinked video files. Maybe they fixed one issue and broke the other? How fast do the sessions open once they have been opened, linked/relinked, saved and reopened? With the previous bug, once all the references to unlinked files were resolved, the sessions opened at normal speed again.
If i unlink, and then re-link the speed stays the same. Fun times!
Old 06-24-2021, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by epm View Post
If i unlink, and then re-link the speed stays the same. Fun times!
Well that's a bummer! I dropped back to 2020.11 from 2021.3 due to the slow loading/hang issue on sessions with lots of video files, among other reasons. I was really hoping 2021.6 would be solid, but this is kind of a deal breaker for me. Have you done anything like trash prefs, reboot, etc. to see if it's just a fluke?
Old 06-24-2021, 11:58 AM

I haven't done a full preferences trash but 2021.6 came with a HD Native card firmware update so i did a full system reboot right before opening it for the first time. Everything else seems to be working well, just this slow video loading but i'll give a preference trash a go just to be sure.
Old 06-25-2021, 04:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by epm View Post
I haven't done a full preferences trash but 2021.6 came with a HD Native card firmware update so i did a full system reboot right before opening it for the first time. Everything else seems to be working well, just this slow video loading but i'll give a preference trash a go just to be sure.
Yeah preferences trash didn’t fix it. Guess I’m rolling back for now.
Old 06-25-2021, 07:32 AM

Thanks for the updates. DUC user GIVES said in a post in the Pro Tools 2021 forum that he had been working with Avid on the crashing when bouncing to QT issue in 2021.3(.1), which seems to be fixed, and that Avid are aware of the slow loading issue. He said that he would post an answer in a separate thread about the slow video session loading issue, but I haven't found that answer yet.

https://duc.avid.com/showpost.php?p=...9&postcount=36