Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 03-16-2008, 10:31 AM

Default Getting tired of discontinued plugins in Pro Tools!

Hello there,

Just a quick word to say that I find highly unprofessionnal the fact that Digi seems unable to ensure its own plugins compatibility.
First it was EQII and Comp II being left out. Then it was the gate plugin replaced by the Expander/gate.
New versions are better, fine. We'll all agree on this one I think.
But what about older mixes compatibility??!
I used to work a lot with those three plugins and, every now and then, when reopening old mixes, I have to go through them all over again because the new versions can't automaticaly replace them. I'm loosing time there and so are my clients...
Is compatibility so hard to ensure??...
Other manufacturers seem to deal with it pretty well...
Please Digi, think about it in the future! Stop discontinuing your own products...

Administrator of Brotools, free online tutorials for the french Pro Tools user.
Old 03-16-2008, 10:38 AM

Default Re: Getting tired of discontinued plugins in Pro Tools!

I agree. My solution is to keep my old rig up and running - just to handle the occassional old-version recall request. Total recall of an in-the-box mix is important.
Click for audio/video demo
Click for resume
Old 03-16-2008, 11:03 AM

If nothing else can they figure out a way to transfer the old settings to the new plugs while the sessions opening? Something like the old fader range dialog? or possibly code a compatibility/emulation mode for the new plugs?

This IS going to be a big problem some day as so many sessions uses these plugs.

I understand that they may not be able to support the old plugs forever as PT's code changes and features are added.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 03-16-2008, 11:16 AM

Quote:
I agree. My solution is to keep my old rig up and running - just to handle the occassional old-version recall request. Total recall of an in-the-box mix is important.
That's exactly what I've done this week when I had to bounce old mixes for one of my clients. I recently switched from a G5 PPC to a Mac Pro Intel (hosting a 002 for musical projetcs) and the G5 still contains all my "old" mixes but this G5 is supposed to host the HD station used for post production projetcs (in replacement of an old G4) and I will have to delete everything that's on it...
So bye-bye old mixes and hello waste of time remixing (a time I won't get paid for of course...).

Yes, a "patch" or a "would you like to convert unsupported plugin's settings?" would be nice... and professionnal.

Old 03-16-2008, 11:45 AM

Too many archived sessions use the EQ, Dynamics and Gate Plugs and not every one has a interest or room to archive the DAW either

Even if you can open the session the plug in settings don't directly translate to the new plugs.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 03-17-2008, 10:48 AM

In case it can help, I found that, whatever Digi says and despite the supposed incompatibility of non-UB plugs under Intel, the EQ II, CompII and Gate do work in PT7.4/Mac Pro!!...
I've just installed my old so called incompatible plugs and they work!...
Strange but, hey, glad I tried it.