Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-19-2014, 01:21 PM

Default 11.2.1: Instrument Track delay compensation problem

When using Maschine, Kontakt or Massive (or probably others, I'm guessing) on an Instrument track, Delay Compensation does not happen properly. If I use it on an Audio or Aux track it seems okay.

This is confirmed by looking at the Mixer with Delay Compensation view on. The same plug in will have "0" in the delay column if it's on an Instrument track while it will have "1693" (or whatever the appropriate delay is) if it's on an Audio or Aux track. It becomes worse (further out of sync) when an audio track is in record.

If I copy the same plug from an Instrument track to an Audio or Aux track and solo both, they will flam.

Oddly, it doesn't happen with the Click II plugin...Delay Compensation seems to be fine with that plugin regardless of it being on an Instrument/Aux/audio track.

I'm on 11.2.1, OSX 10.9.3. Happens regardless of Playback Buffer settings.

Have also experienced latency weirdness on record that is solved by reloading the session.
Old 08-19-2014, 02:05 PM

Default Re: 11.2.1: Instrument Track delay compensation problem

I'm having hard time following this.

But Dly Comp seems okay over here with Instrument tracks. I even have a test session with Kontakt, Battery, massive and audio tracks playing together in sync. Auto report and user field option.
Old 08-19-2014, 02:10 PM

So this announcement can be discarded?
http://www.pro-tools-expert.com/home...ugs-fixed.html
Old 08-19-2014, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intransit View Post
I'm having hard time following this.

But Dly Comp seems okay over here with Instrument tracks. I even have a test session with Kontakt, Battery, massive and audio tracks playing together in sync. Auto report and user field option.
Don't forget to use to route the instruments to multiple outputs in protools. That is where the trouble starts.
Old 08-19-2014, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by damasio View Post
Don't forget to use to route the instruments to multiple outputs in protools. That is where the trouble starts.
Yes. I was one of the first to find the bug along with others and have been going back and forth with AVID. I have sessions with 7 kontakts all routed to instrument tracks and a test session I've been using for months. It all seems to working over here.

I have cues with 200+ instrument tracks that are playing fine. I even printed and played against printed tracks that were using the bypass auto report workaround.

I'm not saying it's not happening but I guess I'm concerned. But all seems okay over here. Others have reported it fixed with instrument tracks. Also a tech at Avid told me the only difference between Instrument and aux tracks is the midi.
Old 08-19-2014, 02:31 PM

Just to show I'm not being combative or making this up. This is my test session:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/oyoblhiilc...ADC_11_2_1.png

It all plays sync'd. Auto report and the user field workaround sound the same now. With ADC off this sounds ridiculous.

Any chance there's something your doing that's causing this? I'm curious.
Old 08-19-2014, 02:53 PM

Well...as I've been messing with this, I've found that if I control-command click the delay setting to bypass it on the Instrument track, it will play in sync with the same plugin on an Aux track. If not, it's a flam-fest.

Curious if I'm the only one experiencing this, and if so...why.

Screenshot with Delay Compensation on as normal: (flam fest)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/l6wqmb6qs6...s%20normal.png

Screenshot with reported delay turned off on the instrument track: (syncs perfectly)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/36yshk07rx...st%20track.png

And just to prove I'm on PT 11.2.1: :)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/siw92plniq...T%2011.2.1.png
Old 08-19-2014, 04:27 PM

Maybe it's machine?? I did the same thing with Kontakt here. Copied it and triggered with a midi track. It still sync'd adding a Kontakt on an aux.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/eze14wezsx...11_2_1%202.png
Old 08-19-2014, 04:32 PM

I looks like it's not pushing the machine Inst track forward. Put a latency inducing plug on the Inst track… What happens?

I'm not an expert on why some tracks have a comp number and some don't. My test session has tracks without a comp number but it still sounds sync'd
Old 08-19-2014, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainsong View Post
When using Maschine, Kontakt or Massive (or probably others, I'm guessing) on an Instrument track, Delay Compensation does not happen properly. If I use it on an Audio or Aux track it seems okay.

This is confirmed by looking at the Mixer with Delay Compensation view on. The same plug in will have "0" in the delay column if it's on an Instrument track while it will have "1693" (or whatever the appropriate delay is) if it's on an Audio or Aux track. It becomes worse (further out of sync) when an audio track is in record.

If I copy the same plug from an Instrument track to an Audio or Aux track and solo both, they will flam.

Oddly, it doesn't happen with the Click II plugin...Delay Compensation seems to be fine with that plugin regardless of it being on an Instrument/Aux/audio track.

I'm on 11.2.1, OSX 10.9.3. Happens regardless of Playback Buffer settings.

Have also experienced latency weirdness on record that is solved by reloading the session.
FWIW...it's only the display reporting that's off...at least that's what i'm seein' in my testing. everything plays in sync when i test K5 or any other VI (so far). but if you look at the track where the VI is inserted and you start inserting plugins on other trax then you will see that the ADC reporting is properly reported on all trax except where a VI is inserted. even the multi-outs of that VI have proper reporting. and to take it one step further it 'appears' to be on only trax/sessions created in 11.2.1. if i open a session created from an earlier version the reporting seems accurate. but i'm not seein'/hearin' any outta sync issues with this version to date...

The Basschakra Lucid Soul Trip

i7 Builds - Specs and Results

HDNative | Omni | i7-3930K OC'd 4.0GHZ |
ASUS X79 Sabertooth | 32GB GSkill DDR3 2133 ram | mo' stuff