Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-19-2007, 05:12 AM

Default Hey Jaxman - Regarding that Buffer annoyance

JaxMan,

Do you have USB enabled or disabled in the BIOS?

I did a back and forth test between disabling USB and enabling it, each time starting up, starting PT, and opening the same session, pressing play and seeing what happens. If I have USB enabled, I get the buffer error (with the same fix, click off 128, click back on it, hit OK, good to go). But when I disable USB in the BIOS, I don't get the error.

Now, I gotta note, that I have nothing plugged into my USB ports except for a powered USB hub. No devices. Later tonight I may fine tune this thing and find out if it's the hub that's making it do that or just USB in general. I have a feeling just having USB enabled, even with NO USB devices attached, makes it happen.

Can't decide if it's more annoying to just do the click off and back on 128 thing, or to disable/enable each time I want to use a memory stick or plug in my Wireless network adapter.
Old 03-19-2007, 06:06 PM

Default Re: Hey Jaxman - Regarding that Buffer annoyance

Bounce.. for JaxMan to read.
Old 03-20-2007, 07:38 AM

Bump again! I really want JaxMan to read this post. You can't private message on here can you? I tried to the other day and it said it was disabled on this forum.
Old 03-21-2007, 04:29 PM

Hey!

Interesting..nice work! ...let me know of any developments!

So...I'm using a USB Mouse, and I'm using the USB ports on the front of my computer for external hard drive transfers..that kinda thing. I think our trick might be easier to do than disabling USB in the BIOS.

Do you record at 128? I do all my work at 1024 with low latency monitoring on. PT asks me to lower the buffers, which I do, but then I put them back to 1024. Sounds like you start at 128, put them to say, 256, then put them back again to 128. Either way, it's the same problem!

A test might be to disable some of the USB ports in the device manager one by one until the problem goes away. As soon as the error pops up, minimize PT and disable a single USB port to see what happens. Not sure if this would work, but it's worth a shot. Once the offender is found, it could be permanently disabled from the device manager. My computer has a jillion USB ports, but I only really need two of them. This may be the culprit!

Anyone else out there with this problem??

JJ
Old 03-22-2007, 05:14 AM

Yeah, I have always worked at 128 without low latency monitoring. When I used to work on Windows98 PT5.1.1 I always did this and never had any problems. Sometimes when I bounced I'd raise is to 1024, but other than that it was 128 all the way.

I use a USB->PS2 adapter for my mouse, just to reduce possible conflicts. But I have them anyway!

I think at one point I did open PT, pressed the Play button, got the error, minimized. Went into device manager and disabled ALL the USB, came back and still had the problem. It just keeps complaining till you change that buffer setting. It could be once PT gets into that stupid error, it won't get out until you change the setting. The fact that it never happens again tells me it only "thinks" it's sensing a conflict, when one may not actually exist. So it's going to keep "thinking" the problem is there until you change that setting, even if you set it back to where you had it. Sounds like a program coding bug if I ever saw one.

While we're on the topic of annoyances. Do you ever get that thing where... you open a session... Press play, and it appears to play and stop real quick, so essentially, nothing happens. Press play again and it will play. But that first attempt to play it doesn't work?

Kip
Old 03-22-2007, 05:15 AM

bump
Old 03-22-2007, 05:29 AM

Hey!

I used to get that start / stop strangeness with my 001 system...but no longer with the 002..or maybe it was fixed post v.6.4. I find that v.7 is the most stable version so far (except for our buffer issue)..no problems...

I think you're right about PT thinking there's an issue even if there isn't one anymore...I wonder if there might be any clues in the Windows Event Viewer...I'll check this aft...

JJ
Old 03-22-2007, 08:56 AM

Is digidesign looking into the buffer thing at all ?
Old 03-22-2007, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Is digidesign looking into the buffer thing at all ?
So far, I guess not. All I've gotten so far was the generic "take the steps on the general troubleshooting page" response.

It's obviously a software bug. Digi, please take notice. Thanks!

Kip
Old 03-22-2007, 09:35 AM

1. how is this obviously a software bug?

2. even if it is a softare bug, the fix for it wouldn't be in 6.4, it would be in a later, current version of the software. They stopped working on 6.4 years ago when 6.7 came out. We're at 7.3 now...

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Mobile Rig: 2015 MacBook Pro Retina, Apollo Twin, PT12