Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-07-2015, 01:12 PM

Default AVID Could you please tell us what is going on with Avid Video Engine Development?

Avid video engine problems and fixes do not seem to tally up with the bugs fixed that are listed in (some) version of ProTools released recently.

If you want to find out what version of the Avid Video Engine is in your ProTools Application then Control click on the Pro Tools App, select Show Package Contents, and browse to /Contents/Frameworks/Video Engine. Get info.

So here is a little table showing what's up for each recent version.

What's the video engine version for each version of Pro Tools listed here?

ProTools 12.2.0 = 7.0.3.1
ProTools 12.1.0 = 7.0.3.1
ProTools 12.0.0 = 7.0.3.1
ProTools 11.3.1 = 7.0.3.1
ProTools 11.3.2 = 7.0.3.1

PT12.2 has the same version of video engine as PT 11.3.2, but wait, it's the same version for all of them. There were no fixes listed for video in PT12.2 although there are a bunch listed in 11.3.2. Paradox?

I realise that software development is a gradual thing. And also that we are waiting on some news on your premier product, that you acknowledge some work is needed and that it's on the way. Is any progress being made on this? I also have Media Composer and there seems to be a very open and honest bug fix list for each version of MC.

If I am being too simplistic with my comparisons here then please let me know but it looks to me that these are all the same versions of AVE.

Regards

Ray
Old 09-08-2015, 08:03 PM

Default Re: AVID Could you please tell us what is going on with Avid Video Engine Development

That version # is for the branch, and doesn’t reflect all code involved. Sorry I don't have specifics at this point but there have been code changes in AVE along the way.

Note that we have just posted a form to collect info to help us focus on additional improvements, so I would encourage those with AVE experience (bad or good) to complete that.
Old 09-08-2015, 08:12 PM

Default Re: AVID Could you please tell us what is going on with Avid Video Engine Development

Hi Jeffro

That is a major move forward. Instead of having to deal with this as a support issue (i.e.: ringing the AVID phone lines etc) we can specify the problems we have been having quite succinctly.

I'll file mine ASAP. Please note that in my situation, when the AVE is humming along, it goes great, it just seems to have scenarios where it gets really hooked up on something and it's playback becomes very choppy and freezes occur with the messages.

I would like to suggest that all the "About PT11 and PT12" docs have the full list of bugs fixed listed. Software bug fixes are a continuous thing, we understand. But to be able to follow some progress rather than silence is very handy if it becomes a game-stopper for some people.

Progress!

Cheers

Ray
Old 09-22-2015, 04:59 PM

I setup a playback session last night to watch in my studio.
1 x 7.1 Audio track and the movie file. Movie playing off a 1TB SSD. Sound cached in RAM (12GB cache setup). PT HD12.1, Mac Pro 5,1 32 GB RAM and Sync HD, OS X 10.10.4, Mojo DX genlocked, 23.976 tri-level sync.

The specs on that movie file were per the following screenshot:-

Really disappointing as I could not play thru my 25 minute episode continuously. As usual, pics paused and sound playback continued.

When you guys are testing video playback surely you are doing extended tests as well like this? We should be able to play without the lockup happening. I mean if there is an picture playback error correction needed then surely it should allow playback to resume as soon as the disruption had passed? That's what PT10 used to do. I hope that this is the direction that the AVE research is heading. It's pretty embarrassing to not be able to play a continuous picture that was made in a high end Video finishing house and 1 multichannel audio track to a client.
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2015-09-23 at 11.48.37 AM.png (16.6 KB, 0 views)