How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Virtual Instruments
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-18-2010, 04:38 PM

Default Plugins that do not need ADC

Hi there,

I'm just weighing up what to do with my purchase of a 003 rack and the different options that are available.

Which ones do all 003 purchases come with? It's not clear from the Avid or others sites.

I have read that the 'DigiRack' plugins do not suffer from delay compensation (DC). Is this the case with all RTAS and TDM plugins?
One of the options for purchase includes the 'Ignition Pack' (Ableton LE, Reason LE etc). Do these plugins suffer from DC?
Old 03-18-2010, 05:35 PM

Default Re: Plugins that do not need ADC

Venta,

The plugs that you will get when you buy 'any' 003 are the stock plugs that come with PT8. You can go to www.digidesign.com and select products from the selection menus and have a look at what they offer. Some 003's are bundled with a Factory package that offeres more plugs. On the same main Digi page, select plugins from the menu and look up the Factory bundle. Those should answer your questions as to which plugs you will get.

As for ADC, It's likely it will not be an issue for you. When folks are really being bothered they are usually using plugins such as Waves L316, Redline EQ, Maxim, etc... If I'm not mistaken, all of these type of plugs are ones that you would have to buy separate from what you would get with a 003.

Since this is your first post here, and based on your question I assume that you are fairly new to PT. Do not get caught up in Latency, ADC, etc... until you have spent a bit of time with PT to know what folks are talking about. The fact is that most folks yelling for ADC probably don't even really need it.

I would counsel any new person to PT to just buy the basic software pack and learn to use it before spending what could potentially be thousands of dollars on additional plugs. You'll not only be much happier off finacially, you'll be smarter too.

Welcome to the DUC and good luck.
What I found when I got there,
was that I couldn't stay away!

Hobo Shave!
Old 03-19-2010, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danander11 View Post
Venta,

The plugs that you will get when you buy 'any' 003 are the stock plugs that come with PT8. You can go to www.digidesign.com and select products from the selection menus and have a look at what they offer. Some 003's are bundled with a Factory package that offeres more plugs. On the same main Digi page, select plugins from the menu and look up the Factory bundle. Those should answer your questions as to which plugs you will get.

As for ADC, It's likely it will not be an issue for you. When folks are really being bothered they are usually using plugins such as Waves L316, Redline EQ, Maxim, etc... If I'm not mistaken, all of these type of plugs are ones that you would have to buy separate from what you would get with a 003.

Since this is your first post here, and based on your question I assume that you are fairly new to PT. Do not get caught up in Latency, ADC, etc... until you have spent a bit of time with PT to know what folks are talking about. The fact is that most folks yelling for ADC probably don't even really need it.

I would counsel any new person to PT to just buy the basic software pack and learn to use it before spending what could potentially be thousands of dollars on additional plugs. You'll not only be much happier off finacially, you'll be smarter too.

Welcome to the DUC and good luck.
I agree, don't worry about this until you understand exactly how it will affect you.

Then worry.

Using most of the the stock Digi plug-ins won't bring on these issues.

We are hoping to see ADC before the end of the decade.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 03-19-2010, 02:59 PM

wow. not sure about the replies. almost like telling a motorcycle racer to not consider crashing unless it happens (and it is not "if", but rather "when").

it does matter, and it is not as simple, cut n dry as one might be misled to believe.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikki-k View Post
Sometimes ya just gotta put your tongue on the 9V battery just to see what all the fuss is about.
Old 03-19-2010, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venta View Post

I have read that the 'DigiRack' plugins do not suffer from delay compensation (DC). Is this the case with all RTAS and TDM plugins?
One of the options for purchase includes the 'Ignition Pack' (Ableton LE, Reason LE etc). Do these plugins suffer from DC?
Interesting you brought this up. There really isn't a complete tabulated list of the exact latency that the Digi/AIR plug-ins invoke and probably should be. Even third party plug-ins don't really make this known all the time in the documentation. It's easy to check, but one needs Pro Tools actually open which doesn't help in your case.

There are "somewhat" tabulated lists in the Digi plug-ins guide but these are for TDM only which have more latency than RTAS, usually by 1 to 6 samples or so.

Shane

Give your plug-ins a facelift...and skin 'em!

"Music should be performed by the musician, not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 03-19-2010, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan View Post
There really isn't a complete tabulated list of the exact latency that the Digi/AIR plug-ins invoke and probably should be.
A quick Offset test shows a lot of Digi/AIR Plug-Ins and VI's are sample accurate.
Old 03-19-2010, 03:50 PM

Using the plug-in delay reporting field and quickly going through my plug-in list, just about all Digi/AIR plug-ins were zero.

Shane

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 03-19-2010, 04:02 PM

Some of the older complex AIR VI's have sample latency between 50-500 Samples but the newer Creative Collection is minimal if any.
Old 03-19-2010, 04:48 PM

Here is a tabulated list for RTAS plug-ins using the plug-in delay field in the channel strip. These values are measured in samples. There are a few missing because I didn't put some of them on my iLok over the years. Others can contribute any of the ones I've missed. It would have been easier just to list the ones that do have latency(a big whopping 8!) as most of them don't:

Bomb Factory(Digidesign)

• BF Essential Meter Bridge - 0
  • BF Essential Noise Meter - 0
  • bombfactory BF76 - 0
  • Cosmonaut Voice - 0
  • Funk Logic masterizer - 0
  • SansAmp PSA-1 - 0

Digidesign

• AIR Chorus - 0
  • AIR Distortion - 0
  • AIR Dynamics Delay - 0
  • AIR Enhancer - 0
  • AIR Ensemble - 0
  • AIR Filter Gate - 0
  • AIR Flanger - 0
  • AIR Frequency Shifter - 0
  • AIR Fuzz-Wah - 0
  • AIR Kill EQ - 0
  • AIR Lo-Fi - 0
  • AIR Multi-Chorus - 0
  • AIR Multi-Delay - 0
  • AIR Non-Linear Reverb - 0
  • AIR Phaser - 0
  • AIR Reverb - 0
  • AIR Spring Reaverb - 0
  • AIR Stereo Width - 0
  • AIR Talkbox - 0
  • AIR Vintage Filter - 0
  • Boom - 0
  • Click - 0
  • Compressor/Limiter Dyn 3 - 0
  • D-Verb - 0
  • DB-33 - 0
  • De-Esser Dyn 3 - 0
  • Dither - 0
  • Eleven - 0
  • Eleven Free - 0
  • EQ 3 1-band - 0
  • EQ 3 4-band - 0
  • EQ 3 7-band - 0
  • Expander/Gate Dyn 3 - 88
  • Extra Long Delay II - 0
  • Hybrid - 0
  • Lo-Fi - 0
  • Long Delay II - 0
  • maxim - 1024
  • Medium Delay II - 0
  • Mini Grand - 0
  • PhaseScope(Stereo) - 0
  • POWr Dither - 0
  • Recti-Fi - 0
  • Reel Tape Delay - 0
  • Reel Tape Flanger - 2206
  • Reel Tape Saturation - 0
  • Sci-Fi - 0
  • Short Delay II - 0
  • Signal Generator - 0
  • Slap Delay II - 0
  • Smack! - 1
  • Structure - 0
  • Structure Free - 0
  • TimeAdjuster long - 4
  • TimeAdjuster medium - 4
  • TimeAdjuster short - 4
  • Transfuser - 0
  • Trim - 0
  • Vacuum - 0
  • Velvet - 0
  • Xpand2 - 0

Focusrite(Digi distributed)

• ff d2 1-2Band - 0
  • ff d2 4-Band - 0
  • ff d2 6-Band - 0
  • ff d3 Compressor+Limiter - 0
  • ff d3 Compressor/Limiter - 0
  • 110130 - 0
  • 130110 - 0
  • ISA110 - 0
  • ISA130 - 0
  • ISA130 Compressor - 0

Massenburg Design Works(Digi distributed)

• MDW 3B HD Parametric EQ - 27
  • MDW 5B HD Parametric EA - 27

Trillium Lane Labs(Digidesign)

• TL AutoPan - 0
  • TL InTune - 0
  • TL MasterMeter - 0
  • TL Metro - 0
  • TL Space - 0
Shane

Old 03-19-2010, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikki-k View Post
wow. not sure about the replies. almost like telling a motorcycle racer to not consider crashing unless it happens (and it is not "if", but rather "when").

it does matter, and it is not as simple, cut n dry as one might be misled to believe.
Yes, it does. And no, it is not that simple.. However, to someone new to PT using stock plugs, it's probably not going to crop up. The OP is/was worried about something without having a clear understanding of what they are talking about, (or even a minimal understanding), piling on information is only likely to confuse them even more.

I made some assumptions here on the OP's knowledge level based on the question and post count. I could be wrong and if so, apologies..

However, first things first. Get PT, use it, and see if it even affects you at all right now. Down the road it is likely to, but then you will be better equipped to deal with it. KISS
What I found when I got there,
was that I couldn't stay away!

Hobo Shave!