Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks

Old 08-01-2007, 07:33 AM

Default Vocal Harmonizer

Anyone know a good plug-in for creating vocal harmonies? I've been working with a singer that cannot do his own harmonies and i'm looking for something that will create a realistic sounding harmony
Old 08-01-2007, 10:21 AM

Default Re: Vocal Harmonizer

Celemony Melodyne Studio
Pro Audio Sales/Consulting
http://www.audiolot.com

Follow AudioLot on Facebook
Old 08-02-2007, 10:23 AM

Fantastic plugin. many creative ways to use it. I love it..

LJ
Old 08-04-2007, 12:39 PM

How does Celemony Melodyne Studio compare with TC Electronic Harmony 4?

-Andres
Old 08-04-2007, 08:39 PM

Melodyne has been one of my favorite and most-used plugins for the past 4 years. I'll add my rec to the others.

I've also been playing with a demo of a plug-in from a company called "zplane." They were demonstrating an audio harmonizer called "vielklang." Yeah. I know. I think it's pronounced VEAL (like the meat)-klang (like the bell). VEAL-klang. ;-}
I love it. Easy to use. It does things I have been trying to do with Melodyne in a rather cumbersome way, and makes it easy to do. You can generate harmonies from a single voice, and then use the Vielklang sampler function to map them to the keyboard and play them like an instrument. There are a lot of other things going for it, too. Anyway, it sounds surprisingly good, and if you're more musician than engineer, you'll like the way it works Here is the web page in case you want to click on it. And here below is a brief description of it that I came across just before I downloaded it:

Vielklang is an impressive new harmonization plug-in by our friends at zplane.development. We were knocked out when we saw the pre-release version at NAMM, and the latest update does some of the best automatic harmonization we've ever seen.

Technically, Vielklang is an instrument, not an effect. It starts by analyzing the input sound file, and then it generates the harmonies. You can view the results as a piano roll display. It's easy to make any desired changes.

While Vielklang is not a real-time plug-in, the ability to look at the entire melody at once provides some major benefits. The main advantage is that instead of playing all the harmonies more-or-less in parallel (everything moves up, everything moves down), Vielklang uses music theory to figure out good voice leading, the way an arranger would do.

The result: more natural-sounding harmonies. Vielklang thinks in harmony progressions instead of intervals. The software supports you musically: you don't even need to configure the key. You can also use Vielklang as a full-fledged sample player instrument by triggering different harmonizations with different MIDI notes.

And no, I don't get paid anything for this. I think it's worth the time to look at a little more closely if you're in the market for this kind of software. Best of luck!
Old 08-05-2007, 02:25 AM

Quote:
[…] an audio harmonizer called "vielklang." Yeah. I know. I think it's pronounced VEAL (like the meat)-klang (like the bell). VEAL-klang. ;-} […]
Actually, its pronunciation is a whole lot closer to “Feel-klang.” In German, for the most part, “V” is pronounced “F”, and “W” is pronounced “V.” For example, Volkswagen should be pronounced “Folksvagen.” (I’ll spare you the pronounciation of VW.)

Back to the regularly scheduled programming.

We’ll fix it in the shrink-wrap. (Frank Zappa)