Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-06-2005, 12:46 PM

Default I\'ve got to upgrade hardware...

And I was wondering if it would be worth it. Currently I am using a 3.4GHz P4 Northwood with a Asus P4P800 SE\865PE chipset and 1GB of PC3200 RAM. When I try to Mix and Master by adding Plug-ins, my PC is crashing on the bounce(CPU error). I can't use as many plug-ins as I want. This is a big problem, because I need to run alot of compression, Amplitube, Sans-amp, reverb and T-racks. And I haven't even added vocals or keyboards in yet. My PC just boggs out.

I'm looking at getting a DFI Lanparty mobo W\nForce4 chipset, an AMD Athlon X2 4400 and OC it to a 5400, 2GB of OCZ Performance series PC3200 RAM.

I'm just wondering how much of a performance boost I can expect before I buy. I need to run a lot of plug-ins. Will I be able to run more plug-ins compared to my current setup? Thanx all!
Old 10-06-2005, 01:39 PM

Default Re: I\'ve got to upgrade hardware...

If the only problem you are having with system memory\speed is during the bounce, I would say there is no need to upgrade. You could just print you plug-ins to another audio track, disable the original track (if you so desire to keep it). You would go about this by bussing the track with the plug to a second audio track. Record enable the second track, and wala, you have the original track printed with the plugs, and you don't have to 'run' the plug during bounce.
Adam

Can you bounce when you take some plugins off, maybe there is another problem? It seems kind of odd that you could play the tracks normally without the system glitching but you can't bounce, maybe you are pushing the CPU right on its edge...
Old 10-06-2005, 02:16 PM
Avid

What are the error number(s) you're getting in those messages?
Old 10-06-2005, 02:41 PM

The system not only hangs on the bounce, it also gives me the error on playback(CPU Error too many plug-ins, disable some plug-ins). I can bounce and playback fine when I disable some plug-ins. Thanx for the tip on recording plug-in to another track.

Pro-Tools is working fine until I add too many plug-ins. I heard that an AMD will eat my chip up, so will I be able to run more plug-ins with said equipment above. Or would the performance gain not be worth the money. I figure the X2 will dedicate one complete processor to Pro Tools so it might be worth it.

This might be a dumb question, I just had a brainstorm. If I record the tracks with the Plug-ins inserted, will Pro Tools play the recorded tracks back with plug-ins, if I take the plug-ins off of the track after I record the track?. Thanx for the replies!
Old 10-06-2005, 03:07 PM

Try out what JonMitchell said.

Pentium4 (2.4Ghz)
Windows XP Home Edition (SP2)
80GB HD
1GB Ram
Digi002
Protools 7.0
Mackie HR-824's
Old 10-06-2005, 06:30 PM

Quote:
This might be a dumb question, I just had a brainstorm. If I record the tracks with the Plug-ins inserted, will Pro Tools play the recorded tracks back with plug-ins, if I take the plug-ins off of the track after I record the track?. Thanx for the replies!
I think thats what I suggested, but worded differently Set the output on the track with the plugin as a bus (ex. bus 1-2), and then on another NEW track set the insert as (bus 1-2). Record enable the NEW track. This will 'print' the first track with the plugin to the second track. You can then DISABLE the first track with the plugin so it doesn't use CPU. (I believe the button is a 'v', and then set to 'dyn off'.... or something close to that) This way, you still have the first untainted track with the plugin setting, so you can go back and rearm it and change if needed.
Adam

On a side note, you might wait till the PT 7.0 details are out and upgrade to a dual core system. Building pc's is becoming so cheap nowadays it won't really break the bank, and it would be nice to have the increased processing power. But as I have noticed, every time I upgrade my system I just push it to its limits and want to upgrade again. I'm a plugin-slut myself.
Old 10-06-2005, 11:03 PM

Okay, thanx for the info, I will try it tomorrow. I was going to upgrade anyway in a couple of months for gaming purposes, I think I'm going to order my new parts in a week or 2. I received my Digi 002r on 9-01-05, so I am eligible for the free upgrade...Can't wait.