Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-18-2009, 08:22 PM

Default Re: I'm ready to switch to Logic...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tball View Post
First off, I want to thank Digi for taking the time to reply. But really, it would require that much research and testing to implement another 16 tracks into 7.3 or 7.4? I'm not buying it. It seems like a marketing tool to try to bait people to jump up to 8. Myself and a lot of other people don't feel it is necessary to upgrade their systems when new versions come out. I'll repeat myself, if it ain't broke then why fix it? Why would I want to go through the headaches of upgrading all my rigs to 10.5. PT 8 and updating plugins? Downtime in this economy is not an option.
While i do understand your frustrations somewhat, of course digidesign is going to want to bait people to upgrading to the new version. That's the whole reason behind putting out new versions, isn't it? That's just MHO though.

I know you say "if it ain't broke then why fix it?". But, even though it may not have been "broke", they did improve it. I would discourage anyone from abondoning PT7.4 for Logic without at least trying PT8. I know since i upgraded, i've been using less and less Logic. That's just me, but i think PT8 is pretty sweet.
Old 03-18-2009, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slim Shady View Post
Digi did it to you?

LOL!!!!

No-one to blame but yourself. Reading is fundamental. Info is right there on the page before you buy.

Good luck with that switch to Logic. The grass is always greener....
RITE!!!! &Not to mention thatz the whole talk of PT8 being able to bump up the track count; & u say u being using PT & didn't know that?...Nicse

'IS TAMARA HOME'
NO, SHE'S WITH
HOBO KEY
'' (that dopey green thing)

('we' must start using pronouns)
Old 03-18-2009, 08:37 PM

If it was perfectly fine (not broken), then why did you need add the MPT for more tracks and multi-track BD...?

Sounds like you were looking for SOME kind of improvement there...why not get all the cool things in PT8 while you're at it?

If you need multi-track BD, then Logic is definitely NOT the way to go. Ever try to quantize audio in Logic - or even Strip Silence? (LOL!)

An observation: Have you ever tried to complain about an Apple product on their web site? Try it and see what happens to your post. Try it more than a couple of times and see what happens to your login.

PT 2021; MacBookPro M1; 16GB; Spectrasonics; Native Instruments, Toontrack, Waves...too many plugins.
Old 03-18-2009, 08:51 PM

The thing that amuses me most about the resistance to upgrading is that people always say their current version is working perfectly, so they don't need to upgrade. That makes me curious as to why this board is always full of rants about the software that's "full of bugs" and "crashes every 8 seconds"....until a new version comes out. Suddenly the same version that wasn't worth the bandwidth to download is the most stable thing on the planet.

Not a criticism of the original poster, since he's probably over on the Logic boards by now anyway. Just an observation of something I've seen happen in every upgrade for the past 13 years.
Old 03-18-2009, 09:26 PM

I'd say the more amusing thing is when users always have to come tell us PT users on the PT forum that they're gonna leave PT for the other whateva... So farkin what...If u don't like it just leave it already... All we're gonna do is make u feel ____________ because 99.99999% of us here like the Program that we use owned by the company that has graced us with their forum...Jeeeezzzzzz

'IS TAMARA HOME'
NO, SHE'S WITH
HOBO KEY
'' (that dopey green thing)

('we' must start using pronouns)
Old 03-18-2009, 09:44 PM

Quote:
I'd say the more amusing thing is when users always have to come tell us PT users on the PT forum that they're gonna leave PT for the other whateva... So farkin what...If u don't like it just leave it already... All we're gonna do is make u feel ____________ because 99.99999% of us here like the Program that we use owned by the company that has graced us with their forum...Jeeeezzzzzz
Sometimes I hate to say it but's he's right.

Trust me gal it's dangerous out there and ya dont wanna get bitten.

Stick with an chill - cubase an logics does the job but if it was so good we'd all be using it.

Trust me gal, aint no smart tools out there's gonna make ya warm inside same digi does.An ya forget bout lacky time!

Last edited by barismanco123; 03-18-2009 at 09:46 PM. Reason: Proooof read
Old 03-19-2009, 02:33 AM

Thumbs up Re: I'm ready to switch to Logic...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheeltard View Post
Doode,
I so concur. I tried to do the switch to Logic Pro and it didn't take. It's definitely more me than the program. But once you learn the workflow of a particular DAW, it can be more than a little difficult to switch. Especially in the case of Logic. I'm not knocking Logic 'cuz it's an unbelievably feature-rich and robust DAW. Crap, the midi alone options and fills are staggering. But there is definintely a learning curve. And PT is so ingrained in me that even with a macvideo NED tutorial, I found myself scratching my head, "How again do I route busses with this audio/buss channel set-up?"

I came back to PT 8 and must say I'm glad I did. If you want a good deal on my Logic Pro (I've only installed it once -- you get two w/ a purchase) let me know.

But if I were you, I'd seriously consider the jump up to PT 8 versus jumping ship to Logic. FWIW
Wheels
+1
Old 03-19-2009, 05:13 AM

+ 1 for pro tools > + 2 for reason < the poor man's extra track count >

i'm on 7.3.1 very stable > i'm tempeted to upgrade >
if it aint broke don't fix it
Pt 8, Reason 5, Recycle 2.1, Ableton Live Suite 8.02
Plugs >
All Registered plug in's & Vinyl out the wazoo. Mp3 sucks

Last edited by sbag; 03-19-2009 at 05:15 AM. Reason: mis type
Old 03-19-2009, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keybeeetsss View Post
Who, but the PT users, can have some good reasons to use Pro Tools ?

And to persuade you to not switch…

Once this said, this thread is really interesting for me but not for the same reasons…

I'm really happy with PT.
The workflow you can have with Pro Tools especially since the PT8 is really good as far as you don't have to use VI…
Not to mention the CPU load

I was thinking to switch but I won't. Not yet

The open mind of the Digitechsupt is one of the reasons…

tball; About MPTK, just think the price of one of its components is the price of the whole pack
Old 03-19-2009, 06:18 AM

I became a little frustrated with Cubase, and switched to Pro Tools.

My main reason (FWIW) was the quality of plug-ins included with the package; for a couple of hundred quid, Cubase couldn't compete with PT
(for e.g., you only get the de-esser with the top-end version).

The value for money PT offers is second to none, and provided you can iron out any computer issues (a fresh install usually cures the most stubborn baddies) - your away.

The fact that PT has a track limitation is a good thing - if you can get up to 48 without blowing your CPU your a better man than most.

Anyway - to the OP who's about to jump ship ... Cubase is very stable and quick to go around, but stingy with free stuff (unless your willing to shell xxx for the top-end product) - Logic looks cool and gives you tons of free stuff but is a living hell to master.

Pro Tools sits in the middle, and offers excellent, sweet plug-ins for a very modest price point and, without stating the obvious,
is used by many top producers and musicians.