Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 10-01-2008, 07:30 PM

Default Formatting A 1TB Free Agent Seagate with Leopard- Backing Up Pro Tools Sessions ASAP

OK, this is what's going on. I bought the drive yesterday as I need to backup all my HD's and I want to use Time Machine to do so. So, first I tried to Erase the drive with Disk Utility but it would stop saying formatting error. I'm doing a Mac OS Extended (Journaled). Then I tried to zero it out. That took more than 7 hours to only stop in the middle to say there was an error. So, finally I read the manual... Hahaha It said to run this Macinstall software and I did and it restarted my cpu. When I saw that the drive had a USB symbol on top and it looked like everything was a go, I was like let me see something. As I expected, it's still a MS-DOS Formatted drive. Now, I use Leopard of course and I know that Leopard runs both DOS and OSX but, this is my Main Backup drive. Is leaving it as a MS-DOS (FAT) format ok or what should I do?

Please, if anyone has went through this on their Mac Pro with Leopard, could you give me a heads up.

Thanx

Marc
New System: Macbook Pro M1 Max/16 gigs of Ram/Monterey/3 UAD Quad Satellites/2 PCIe Quad UAD cards/Waves Digigrid/Antelope Zen Pro/OWC 3 Slot Thunderbolt PCIe unit/Over 1400 plugins (Beta Tester for 15 different companies)

YouTube Channel https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HaZYp2wNomc
Old 10-02-2008, 06:56 AM

Default Re: Formatting A 1TB Free Agent Seagate with Leopard- Backing Up Pro Tools Sessions A

Mac OS Extended (Journaled) No OS 9 Drivers.
This drive should format in seconds.
USB2 (Cable?)
Time Machine is for your system drive.........
(Issues)http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/apple/leo...fix-316573.php
Get Superdupper for incremental audio backups.
Very fast and shareware priced (Or free for full back ups)

Get a FW 800 Drive
Old 10-02-2008, 10:33 AM
Avid

Default Re: Formatting A 1TB Free Agent Seagate with Leopard- Backing Up Pro Tools Sessions A

And why are you zeroing it out? There's no need for that.
Old 10-02-2008, 12:36 PM

When formatting the drive, go to Partitions, not erase, select "1 partition"
then click "options", the Apple Partition map should be fine, hit "okay", then you can name it, use the Mac OS Extended journaled, hit "apply"

i think that is all you need to do. This process is for the freeagent, i haven't had to do that with any other drives...should be fine from there...
Old 10-02-2008, 12:43 PM

I tried to format a drive for Time Machine using Disk Utility and it always failed... then I just connected it to the Mac and launched Time Machine, and bingo! It formatted the drive as HFS Journaled on it's own. The drive was a WD MyBook 1TB, came formatted Fat32.

HTH
Old 11-30-2008, 08:25 AM

Thank you Doug, may you 4ever walk with angels, u just saved my but big time.