Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > FireWire & USB Audio Interfaces (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-23-2013, 07:50 AM

Default Mbox Pro instructions

Hi gang,

I was wondering if there are any better sources for learning how to work my Mbox Pro other than the somewhat incomplete manual. it seems it can do a lot but I'm not sure how to do so.

For instance, I'd like to know how to configure the Mbox so I can get all the inputs as separate channels, I'm having trouble getting the paired stereo channels to go into separate mono channels, how to save set-ups, etc.

Thanks in advance.
Old 08-23-2013, 08:12 AM

Default Re: Mbox Pro instructions

I think you're looking more for Pro Tools instructions then Mbox instructions. There are a lot of good video's on youtube, or pick up one of the Pro Tools books. I think this is the one I bought:http://www.amazon.com/Pro-Tools-Prod...ords=Pro+Tools although I'd match the PT book with the version you're running.

But, to do what you're asking - you want to add mono tracks, then click on each tracks input button and select the appropriate input.

Joel

Home:
Asus B450 Pro4 / Ryzen 5 2600 / 32GB RAM / Win 11 Pro
Pro Tools HD / Focusrite 18i20 + M-Audio ProFire 2626

Rig:
Eleven Rack / ART SLA1 / Two 2x10 Passive Monitors / FCB1010 w/ EurekaPROM
Old 08-23-2013, 10:09 AM

Thanks, but that is not exactly the issue - and you advice is good, I have several books and have seen a whole series of videos.

I'm trying to learn more about how the Mbox itself works, as a stand-alone, or how to use the Mbox's various options for saving set-ups and such.

Also, I'm on Protools 10 and adding basic mono or stereo audio tracks are no sweat - it's that I get am not getting the option of using all the inputs as 12, 34 stereo pairs or as individual mono channels. So it's not about selecting the right input, it's about getting all of the Mbox's options to show up in that select dialog window.

then again maybe I am missing something.
Old 08-23-2013, 10:18 AM

Sorry, totally misread your question! I don't have an Mbox, so I'll get outta the way for someone who can give hands on help :)

Joel

Home:
Asus B450 Pro4 / Ryzen 5 2600 / 32GB RAM / Win 11 Pro
Pro Tools HD / Focusrite 18i20 + M-Audio ProFire 2626

Rig:
Eleven Rack / ART SLA1 / Two 2x10 Passive Monitors / FCB1010 w/ EurekaPROM
Old 08-24-2013, 01:43 PM

Thanks for trying, though.
Old 08-24-2013, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMB13KOS View Post
Hi gang,

I was wondering if there are any better sources for learning how to work my Mbox Pro other than the somewhat incomplete manual. it seems it can do a lot but I'm not sure how to do so.

For instance, I'd like to know how to configure the Mbox so I can get all the inputs as separate channels, I'm having trouble getting the paired stereo channels to go into separate mono channels, how to save set-ups, etc.

Thanks in advance.
The previous poster actually answered the question you asked. You just create a mono audio track and select an input.

The product manual read in conjunction the _massive_ Pro Tools reference guide is far from "incomplete". Have you looked at the reference guide?

Ignoring the Mbox internal mixer (are you using that?). You just create a mono audio track and select whatever mono audio input you want. If you are not seeing them from Pro Tools. Go the the Setup>IO and click "DEFAULT" on each of the pages there. Again all covered in the not-incomplete reference guide.

If you are trying to do something with the the Mbox internal mixer, that is well explained in the Mbox documentation. What exactly are you trying to do that is not working like you expect it to?

What "12, 34 stereo pairs" are you talking about? The Mbox 3 Pro is an 8 x 8 interface. So 8 simultaneous mono audio inputs or 4 stereo pair inputs if you run them that way.

Edit: Oh I guess you mean you are having trouble selecting a mono source from the 1/2 or 3/4 stereo pairs? There is no way that should be a problem. Post screenshots shots here of you IO>Setup>Input page and your Mix window showing the track input and output selectors. For both mono or stereo audio track what options do you see in the input selector?

What exact "setup" do you expect the Mbox to save? Especially vs. Pro Tools saving. I suspect you are just not understanding how to use Pro Tool's IO setup?

Darryl

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 08-24-2013 at 06:23 PM.