Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 05-01-2022, 05:56 PM

Default I have to December 2022 to leave ProTools. Recommendations?

After nearly 15 years, I can no longer afford Pro Tools. I am looking at both PreSonus Studio One and Cubase. I lean towards the audio recording/editing/mixing and distribution side of things. I also use UA plugins. My VI of choice is Toontracks' EZ Drummer. I use it quite a bit. But other than that, 99% of my tracks are audio recordings: Vocals, bass, drums, keys, guitar etc. Also, believe it or not, I STILL use the Zoom H2 recorder for field recordings, and import those 44.1 k, 24bit wav files in for editing. Anything from lessons to guitar improv sessions to interviews ... Midi editing is nice, but certainly NOT my go to for creative inspiration. Suggestions? I will be calling Presonus on Monday 5/2, with a ton of questions re Studio Live and Sphere. I hate to say goodbye to ProTools, but they seem to have stopped caring about my patronage at least a few years ago. Thank you for your thoughts and opinions!!
Old 05-02-2022, 07:06 AM

Default Re: I have to December 2022 to leave ProTools. Recommendations?

If you have a perpetual license PT won't stop working if you no longer pay for updates, it'll stay at the last version you paid for. I froze my system at 2018.4 when I stopped doing commercial work but it still works fine for what I use it for.
Dell Precision 490 Workstation, dual 4 core 5355 Xeon, 16gb Samsung DDR2 ECC Ram - Windows 7 Ultimate - Nvidia GTX 650 - 3 x Internal WD Blacks - PT 2018.3 - Digi 002R - Original Mackie HUI - 3 screens - JBL Monitoring.
Dell XPS 8700 i7-4790 - 24gb RAM - Windows 10 - Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB with Studio driver 546.01 - 2 x Internal Samsung 860 EVO SSDs, and MSATA card - Davinci Resolve Studio 18.6.4 - 3 screens - Blackmagic Speed Editor - MK1 Presonus Faderport - Canon C100 mk2 - Atomos Ninja 2 - Zoom H2n
Old 05-02-2022, 10:05 AM

This ^^^^ or Reaper.
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 05-06-2022, 01:44 PM

Reaper
Old 05-06-2022, 01:55 PM

As always the first question is what DAWs do your friends/collaborators/bandmates etc. use, even if say it's their second DAW behind Pro Tools.

With no other info, if mostly tracking live then Reaper, but if you are also doing a lot with drum VI and any other VIs etc. then Logic Pro is sure worth a look. You can get a free *90 day* trial. (Apple is not screwing around with that trial). https://www.apple.com/logic-pro/trial/
Old 05-06-2022, 02:32 PM

I've been trying out Reaper myself the last few days, hearing much good about it, being good native on Apple silicon and running Acustica Audio plugins better than most (AA crashes PT on M1). I hadn't come far when I found that there was no way to carry over the functionality of my command8 and UC1 controllers, which is more important to me than anything else with mixing. People might say I'm wrong about that, but they will be people who just repeat what they've read somewhere. Just so you know. Other controllers might work better w/Reaper.
Old 05-08-2022, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
As always the first question is what DAWs do your friends/collaborators/bandmates etc. use, even if say it's their second DAW behind Pro Tools.

With no other info, if mostly tracking live then Reaper, but if you are also doing a lot with drum VI and any other VIs etc. then Logic Pro is sure worth a look. You can get a free *90 day* trial. (Apple is not screwing around with that trial). https://www.apple.com/logic-pro/trial/
Thanks Darryl. Your input is always welcome. I have a Presonus Revelator mic I got for a song. It comes with Studio One Artist, so I'll put it through it's paces over the next few weeks. I'm familiar with Logic Pro, and will not go that route. I spoke to Presonus re their Sphere subscription model. If I go with Studio One, I'll forego Sphere and just spend $299 to upgrade to Studio One Pro. I'm probably not going in the Cubase direction, although I will still learn as much as I can about it as well.
Old 05-08-2022, 12:44 PM

2 things to consider:
1-learning any new DAW after knowing any other DAW is going to be a PITA(but learning new stuff is good for the mind....if you don't....mind)
2-take a look at Pro Tools Artist. At $99per year, it might cover your needs

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 06-05-2022, 07:36 PM

I was grasping Reaper while anticipating any market changes in many areas. Watched Glenn Fricker showing off customization's to Warren Huart got me thinking and learning Another DAW along side of my PT. Slow transition but I think I timed it right.

Old 06-05-2022, 10:48 PM

We all should switch DAWs every now and again to remind ourselves that good and bad things in out and other products. I spend a day recently beating my head against !@#$% Logic Pro and it's stupid routing/auto aux creation (the Microsoft çlippy of auto track creation), and lack of ability to measure precise time differences in samples (a UI bug that hides the sample numbers on screen) etc. And today I spent time with @#$% Pro Tools trying to understand the mess that is MIDI CC plugin automation (no I don't really want to reverse engineer the damned M-Audio controller protocol....). What a pile of crap