Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 10-25-2001, 09:20 AM

Default Alternate Front End For Pro Tools?

Just looking for suggestions on alternate I/O setups for pro tools. What are you guys out there using. I recently bought a mix 3 system with an ADAT I/O bridge. I needed the ADAT I/O because my gigasampler has lightpipe outputs. I needed A/D converters, but didn't want to spend the money on the 888/24 when it doesn't give you any mic pre's and it really doesn't sound all that great. I also wanted to keep my inital costs down. I really wanted the apogee stuff, but budget wouldn't allow it. I ended up going with a Presonus digimax to get started. It has 8 class a mic pre's which sound quite good as well as 8 A/D converters which sound, in my opinion, much better than the ones in the 888/24. It has ADAT lightpipe out, so it goes right through my ADAT bridge. for about 2200 bucks, I have 8 channels of A/D with mic pre's and 16 channels of ADAT I/O plus AES and Spdif. I picked up a used 882 I/O for when I need to monitor more than 2 outputs. I do my mixing in pro tools at this point, so I usually output 2 channels for monitoring. I am looking for suggestions from other people. Does anyone have a cool unconventional setup that they dig? Please share your ideas and suggestions.
[img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-25-2001, 03:02 PM

Default Re: Alternate Front End For Pro Tools?

My set up is a bit costly to mimic. Its a bit unconventional but the sound is gorgeous!!!

At my studio's front end are 16 Avalon AD2022(dual channel, for a total of 32 simultaneous input tracking) going directly into 4 Apogee AD8000SE's directly into...

Mac G4, 733mhz, 1.5G RAM
PT 5.1.1
Mix + w/ 2 extra Farm cards

I'm trying to decide if I'd like to have everything normaled to a patchbay, so I would be able to directly patch at certain points with outboard gear...
As soon as I can afford to go out and get a ProControl and Find a good area to build my studio, I'll be moving it out of my basement and "officially" open my commercial ProTool's based recording studio.

But for now, needless to say, I have bills to pay...