Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows

Old 12-27-2015, 11:02 AM

Default Understanding licensing for older versions.

I can't explain how clueless I am about this. And I'm sure it's all been discussed before, but after some internet searching, I haven't figured it out. I'm also crossing streams with Mac and Windows a little, so I'm sorry.
Feel free to point me at older threads or run me off if I'm too far out of bounds here.

My question... is there a version of PT that I can download for my windows 8 box, which would use the Digi 002 and/or 003 hardware device as the license?

Some back story... I have been given two older Mac G4s and a Digi 002, PT's 6.1 disks for Windows and Mac. I suspect the Digi 002 isn't working, so I've also borrowed a Digi 003 to confirm that. One of the Mac's may not be working either...so that's like a double negative in my testing.
There's a longer story about why I'm working on this older hardware, but it's not completely relevant. Suffice it to say, I'm trying to help a friend and learn some Mac and PTs stuff at the same time.

What I understand about PT 6.1 is the license for the software is the Digi 002 being attached. I'm assuming the Digi 003 would also work as the license/hardware dongle if I could get it to work. I'm assuming this is the same for Mac and Windows.

I'm struggling with troubleshooting on the Mac (for various reasons) so I'd like to move to my Windows platform to test.
The PT 6.1 disk for Windows won't install, says it requires XP and fails out. Makes sense ... 6.1 is much older software.

So I'm trying to determine if there is a version of PT that I can download for my windows 8 box, which would use the Digi 002 and/or 003 hardware device as the license?

Appreciate the help and I'm here for follow up questions or clarification if needed.

-r
Old 12-27-2015, 11:23 AM

Default Re: Understanding licensing for older versions.

in short: no
8.0.5 might work, but it's a total PITA to install

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 12-27-2015, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig F View Post
in short: no
8.0.5 might work, but it's a total PITA to install
I wouldn't call it that bad, but it will be a crap shoot
Here's the method if you're game for trying:

Step 1-with everything turned OFF, connect the 002 and leave it powered OFF.

Step 2-have both the 8.0.3 installer AND the 8.0.5 updater on your machine(I would put the files on the desktop for this)

Step 3-open the installer and right-click and choose Run as Administrator. When it asks you to connect the interface, DON'T. Just click Okay, let it finish and reboot.

Step 4-run the 8.0.5 updater, and again, use the Run as admin option. When the updater asks you to connect the interface, power the 002 on, wait for an 8 count, click Okay, let it finish and reboot again

Step 5-before running PT, right-click on the PT icon and select Properties. Find these 2 options and check them both:
Always Run as admin
Disable Desktop Composition

Step 6-open Pro Tools and have your authorization code handy(the one that starts with "DIGI08......").

Last thoughts; with all versions of LE, the hardware is the "dongle" but you must have an authorization code for the first run of any install. With PC, you MUST have a compatible FW controller by TI(Texas Instruments) as a VIA chip may not work. NEVER hot-patch 002 or 003 FW cables as that can fry the circuit in the interface, the PC or both. Pro Tools on PC can work great, or not, depending on several hardware items such as the chipset, the CPU or the graphics card.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 12-27-2015, 02:10 PM

Thanks guys.

All of this has kind of this has kind of been a PITA. But I'll see where I can get with it.

-r
Old 12-28-2015, 07:37 AM

Using 8.0.5 on Win 8.1 pro with an Mbox 2, as a backup to my backup rig, and it works pretty well.