Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows

Old 02-25-2013, 03:54 PM

Default System Requirements and full System Setup

Hi,

What are exactly the PT 10 System Requirements for Windows 7 ?

I am unsure after having read the User Guides, it says sthing about Digibase or a test, and besides I am uncertain as to if there's a problem in running PT on 1 HDD where there's a partition for the OS, one partition for Projects and the last partition for Soundbanks and Loops and so on.

Help would really be appreciated.
Old 02-25-2013, 05:13 PM

Default Re: System Requirements and full System Setup

You really need a second physical sessions hard drive for optimum Pro Tools performance, and having a third drive for sample libraries would be even better. Here's a link to the hardware requirements:

Pro Tools 10 System Requirements

Pro Tools 2024.3
Focusrite LS56
Focusrite Pro40 (3)
Slate Digital VRS8
Analogue Tonebuss 24 Channel
UAD-2 OCTO Core Accelerator
UAD Volt 2
macOS 10.15.7
32 GB DDR4 RAM
4.01GHz Quad-Core Intel Core I7
NVIDIA GeForce GT 740 2 GB
Old 02-25-2013, 05:44 PM

Default Re: System Requirements and full System Setup

What he said^^^^ 2 separate drives is the minimum, unless your sessions are really small(like 8 tracks or less). Recording to a partition of the same drive with the OS is worse than just recording to C:. Look at it from the tech side; there is 1 read/write head on a platter(inside a hard drive), regardless of how many partitions, and it has to constantly move to retrieve data(for OS function), so if you ask a single drive to do OS and recording, now that head must take care of OS needs, AND streaming playback, AND writing new audio(during a record pass)! Not a good way to get performance. Now with an SSD(which are now approved for recording), it may be a different story, but a $200(sale priced) SSD has about 256GB of available space, while the same $200 will buy a pair of 1TB WD Caviar Black drives(an excellent choice for recording). Spend your money as it suits your needs, just consider all the options

BTW, if you use HD software or the CPTK, AND your system has lots of RAM(8GB or more) then you allocate some RAM for caching audio, which gives a boost in performance, no matter what drive you record to.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave