Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-11-2012, 07:35 AM

Default Heat vrs VCC vrs NLS

Looks like Waves has just entered the ring with their own console emulation Plugin called NLS (Non-Linear Summing), http://waves.com/content.aspx?id=12015

Looks pretty good and free for Mercury Owners, which I am, but can't go to Waves v9 because I still need to use Waves live on Venue consoles.

Looks like it is both TDM and RTAS, has 3 console types, central control, etc. . .

Check it out. . there is a couple videos on the page linked above and it can be demo'd.
Old 04-11-2012, 08:12 AM

Default Re: Heat vrs VCC vrs NLS

Just when I thought I was done buying plugins. . . LOL. I am glad to see that it is competitively priced and the TDM version is not much more then the RTAS. Smart move on Waves part!
Joe
Old 04-11-2012, 08:57 AM

I just bought HEAT a few weeks back. . . after waiting for this long I thought it was time, but jumped just a little too soon.
Old 04-12-2012, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundtrack2life View Post
Just when I thought I was done buying plugins. . . LOL....
I know what u mean !!!!
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 04-12-2012, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howardk View Post
I just bought HEAT a few weeks back. . . after waiting for this long I thought it was time, but jumped just a little too soon.
You probably know this but HEAT vs VCC is apples and oranges.. tape sim vs console sim. They act and sound pretty differently.

Haven't tried NLS yet, will install it this weekend. Love VCC though.
Old 04-12-2012, 03:09 PM

Couple that with the SSL channel strip emulations they already have and you'll pretty much be as close to having an actual ssl console than you would ever be (minus the ssl preamps).. unless you owned one already

Wave-T.com
Old 04-12-2012, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBadBill View Post
You probably know this but HEAT vs VCC is apples and oranges.. tape sim vs console sim. They act and sound pretty differently.

Haven't tried NLS yet, will install it this weekend. Love VCC though.
Hey I thought heat was the sim of the neve console -???? I watched that avid video when it first came out and the sim the console ??
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 04-12-2012, 11:54 PM

I know what everyone means. I have felt like I am great plug-ins wise and Waves seems to be the best at releasing plug-ins lately that I feel like I need. This one is no exception. Looks really cool! But I guess I'm a little confused in some regard. For example, if you were trying to model an SSL console as close as possible with their plug-ins, would you insert the NLS on every channel with an SSL channel strip, then put the NLS bus version on the Master Fader along with the SSL Compressor? I always thought that the SSL compressor/channel was already suppose to be emulating the console sound, but then again, SSL is much more subtle, so I can't really tell if the SSL plugs are already suppose to be adding the console saturation. So is it overkill to be using the SSL plug-ins with the NLS?

I assume it probably doesn't matter as long as it sounds decent.
160 GB RAM
macOS 11.7.4
Noisebox Studios -Utah Recording Studio
Old 04-13-2012, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Hey I thought heat was the sim of the neve console -???? I watched that avid video when it first came out and the sim the console ??
kinda,
turning heat clockwise adds even ordered harmonic dist;
similar to analog circuitry...
especially triode tube based designs.
e
Old 04-13-2012, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzi45Z View Post
I know what everyone means. I have felt like I am great plug-ins wise and Waves seems to be the best at releasing plug-ins lately that I feel like I need. This one is no exception. Looks really cool! But I guess I'm a little confused in some regard. For example, if you were trying to model an SSL console as close as possible with their plug-ins, would you insert the NLS on every channel with an SSL channel strip, then put the NLS bus version on the Master Fader along with the SSL Compressor? I always thought that the SSL compressor/channel was already suppose to be emulating the console sound, but then again, SSL is much more subtle, so I can't really tell if the SSL plugs are already suppose to be adding the console saturation. So is it overkill to be using the SSL plug-ins with the NLS?

I assume it probably doesn't matter as long as it sounds decent.
Interesting point. I've been playing with NLS the past day or two (haven't done a mix with it yet). You have to remember that the thing it's emulating (the characteristics of an analog audio path) is different than what it actually is (a TDM insert with global controls). As well, it's not actually summing any sounds, the PT mixer does that. It's just trying to emulate the "sound" of tracks which have been summed. But that's just me. it's taken me a while to figure out the best way to work it into my session template.

Anyway, yes, regarding this comment, it seems like you'd be duplicating plug functions to be adding more analog mojo on top of what you'd already get from the SSL Master comp plug, or the Kramer pie, or Impact. Season to taste, I suppose. It would still be useful to put a master bus instanciation of NSL with the effect in bypass, but enable the automation of the various paths on that bus, so that you could control all the trim rides from within the lanes on the same track.

I wish you could select the plug with multiple choices in the TDM plug drop-down window, set to different bus numbers. Of course you can insert it into multiple tracks with option-shift, but then you still have to go in and change all the bus assignments for the stem you want it to point to. Right now I get around it with a temp group where I've selected to adjust the controls for the plug in the slot I inserted it in. At least it beats doing them one by one.