Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > AAX Plug-ins

Old 06-01-2018, 01:13 PM

Default Waves Licensing question

The studio I work at has recently purchased a new Mac Pro to upgrade one of our older systems.

The old system is on OS 10.8.5, and I have some Waves plugins that have been installed on it since forever ago...

I want to deactivate my licenses, and be able to use them on the newer system. However, the Waves License Manager software hasn't worked in OS 10.8.5 for quite some time. Every time I try to log in, it just hangs for a minute or 2 and then doesn't log in.

About a year ago, I went through all kinds of trouble with Waves tech support on trying to get a new waves plugin on that old system. It turns out it would have forced an uninstall of all the older ones and we wouldn't be able to reinstall everything and I was told it was because my computer was on 10.8.5, etc. It created much hassle, so we just didn't use that plugin on this system. Anyways, the point being that I know for a fact that it doesn't let me log in because of the older OS.

I can't seem to deactivate any licenses when logged into my account on their website either. I put in a support request, but I am not trying to wait up to 24 hours for this, as I am here to install the new machine today (need to pull HD cards and put in new chassis, etc. SO it's either one system or the other).

Does anyone know how to disable my waves licenses on 10.8.5?
Old 06-08-2018, 03:18 AM

Default Re: Waves Licensing question

It’s always problematic trying to run any type of software on older systems. After a number of years they are no longer supported because it becomes economically unviable to keep updating them. It’s brutal, but that’s the nature of things.

Unfortunately I know of no other way t transfer licenses without the use of using the Recovery feature. Going through the Tech Support is really the only thing you can do. You can’t transfer these licenses online, and you can’t transfer them from another system, this is for security reasons. You can only transfer them back to the cloud on the computer you are running.

However, in the future it may be possible to store your lines on an external USB drive which is a more portable solution.
Old 06-08-2018, 03:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon.a.billington View Post
It’s always problematic trying to run any type of software on older systems. After a number of years they are no longer supported because it becomes economically unviable to keep updating them. It’s brutal, but that’s the nature of things.

Unfortunately I know of no other way t transfer licenses without the use of using the Recovery feature. Going through the Tech Support is really the only thing you can do. You can’t transfer these licenses online, and you can’t transfer them from another system, this is for security reasons. You can only transfer them back to the cloud on the computer you are running.

However, in the future it may be possible to store your lines on an external USB drive which is a more portable solution.
It's been possible for some time now to put one's Waves license assets on a thumb drive or memory card. I've used an old memory card from my dslr (camera) for that.

QAPLA!
Old 06-08-2018, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
It's been possible for some time now to put one's Waves license assets on a thumb drive or memory card. I've used an old memory card from my dslr (camera) for that.
Yes it has been there since Waves Central first came out. Just making sure the OP is aware of the option.
Old 06-08-2018, 11:34 AM

To the OP, just an FYI but you can also install OS 10.9 on the computer you are running. Pro Tools 10 HD will run on that system and Waves Central will also run on it. Just an option.
Old 06-08-2018, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WernerF View Post
To the OP, just an FYI but you can also install OS 10.9 on the computer you are running. Pro Tools 10 HD will run on that system and Waves Central will also run on it. Just an option.
WC will run but not the current version. One needs Yosemite to run the latest version.

QAPLA!