Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-02-2006, 07:52 AM

Default Wierd - Low Memory

All of a sudden, I'm getting low memory errors when I open sessions. Plug-ins being deactivated, not being able to save a session...

I don't think I've seen a low memory error since I've owned Pro Tools. What coul've happen all of a sudden?
Old 09-05-2006, 11:23 AM

Default Re: Wierd - Low Memory

Anyone?

The memory errors have slowed, but there's other wierd stuff going on. Occassionally, I'll open a session and see "PRG" or "PGR"... something like that, in place of plug-in inserts & menu options.

Also, an output from a MIDI track to a particular plug-in, BFD, is always deactivated when I open sessions, and the name on the insert keeps changing, adding a number each time I open a session... BFD-1, BFD-2, BFD-3. Before, the insert simply read BFD all the time.

There are some other quirks that I can't recall right now. Sorry I can't explain these better, but I hope someon can help explain what happen. My rig has been relatively problem free until now.
Old 09-05-2006, 01:50 PM

Ram going bad maybe? Do a search on google for ram test.
Old 09-05-2006, 05:09 PM

Have you tried trashing DAE prefs?

Does this happen after booting up the Mac or only when it's been on for a while? Although I'm sure you probably know this, applications on Macs don't quit when you close the window -- you actually have to quite from the file menu.

If it doesn't improve no matter what you do, you might have to try re-installing PT. I have several Macs that have had somewhat similar problems with Toast. I'll install it; it will work fine for 3 or 4 months, then get a little buggy -- to where it won't work unless it's the first application used after booting up. Finally, it will degrade to the point where it basically doesn't work at all. I search the Mac for files related to "Toast," trash them all, empty the trash and reinstall Toast. Everything's fine for another 3 or 4 months.

I have had the "Low Memory" error with PT before when I shouldn't have. Not often, but it has happened. I found shutting down and restarting fixed it. However...I never had a chronic problem with this, like you seem to be having. And since PT is showing other bugginess, I'm thinking it might be prefs or maybe even the application itself.

It is possible the RAM has gone bad too. I use Tech Tool Pro on mine. It's about 80 bucks and I think it's well worth it. I'm amazed at the detailed reports it gives. It takes about an hour to give a comprehensive report of the Mac. It found some bad memory on my G4 and commented that the corruption was such that I wouldn't necessarily have noticeable problems, and I might still be able to partially use that chip, but it would make my computer more susceptible to memory errors.

I'm interested in this problem. Please let us know what finally fixes it.
Old 09-06-2006, 08:57 AM

Thanks fellas. I didn't think to test the memory. If it checks out, I'll try a reinstall.

Quote:
Have you tried trashing DAE prefs?
Yeah. It's usually the first thing I do when anything unusual happens.

Quote:
Does this happen after booting up the Mac or only when it's been on for a while?
Problems start with opening the very first session, right after I boot up.

Yesterday, I didn't get the "PGR" replacing menu options and inserts thing. And plugins being deactivated seems to be happening less, though the name on the BFD insert still has the number after it. And no memory errors.

Quote:
If it doesn't improve no matter what you do, you might have to try re-installing PT.
Question about reinstalling...

Does Pro Tools have an uninstall option, or will I have to search for and delete all files? If I have to search, will deleting all "digidesign" files do the trick?

Quote:
I have had the "Low Memory" error with PT before when I shouldn't have. Not often, but it has happened. I found shutting down and restarting fixed it. However...I never had a chronic problem with this, like you seem to be having. And since PT is showing other bugginess, I'm thinking it might be prefs or maybe even the application itself.
The problems seem intermitent at this point. The first 2 days were unbearable. Yesterday, the problems were down to an occasional error related to CPU usage.

By the way, has any of the updates since PT 7 addressed the CPU usage spikes?

Quote:
It is possible the RAM has gone bad too. I use Tech Tool Pro on mine. It's about 80 bucks and I think it's well worth it. I'm amazed at the detailed reports it gives. It takes about an hour to give a comprehensive report of the Mac. It found some bad memory on my G4 and commented that the corruption was such that I wouldn't necessarily have noticeable problems, and I might still be able to partially use that chip, but it would make my computer more susceptible to memory errors.

I'm interested in this problem. Please let us know what finally fixes it.
Is the Apple memory test no good?
Old 09-07-2006, 01:37 AM

Quote:

Does Pro Tools have an uninstall option, or will I have to search for and delete all files? If I have to search, will deleting all "digidesign" files do the trick?

Yes, You need the install cd. Click on it like youre installing and Thiers an option to uninstall.
Old 09-11-2006, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Yes, You need the install cd. Click on it like youre installing and Thiers an option to uninstall.
Thanks. I think I'll have to reinstall. Another symptom...

-Audio folder being saved to other drives.
-And it's "PNG" that I'm seeing instead of plug in inserts & menu items, in case that means anything.

No memory errors in quite a while, but the audio folder being saved to other drives, and seeing "PNG" is happening on a regular basis.

Hopefully, reinstalling fixes things, but it would be nice to know what happen so I can avoid it in the future.
Old 09-20-2006, 12:33 PM

Another symptom...

Loop playback seems to disable itself. Checking under options always confirmed it was on, but my highlighted selections wouldn't loop at times unless I closed and reopened the session.

I'll be uninstalling/reinstalling EVERYTHING tonight, but it would be nice to know what happened. Anyone else have these problems?
Old 09-21-2006, 12:10 AM

Upping. I could really use some help here Digi. I've gone through most of the recommended trouble shooting... actually, I don't think I tried creating a new user, but I'm not sure what that will do at this point. I've tried all of the other relevant trouble shooting tips and I'm still having most of these problems. To summarize:

-Features seem to drop out randomly; namely Loop Playback. Sometimes sections will not loop until I close & reopen the session.

-Several times a day, I'm getting the -38 error & can't save.

-For the first time that I can remember, Pro Tools will just quit on me. Up until recently, my problems were restricted to occasional "hold off" errors which only required me to hit OK and continue working.

-Randomly, when opening a session, instead of seeing my menus, inserts, sends, inputs & outputs, I see "PNG".

-My output assignment from a MIDI track to my BFD plug in is always deactivated when I open a session.

-I haven't seen the low memory error in a while. That seems to have gone away.

Digi, or anyone that can help, I'd really appreciate if someone could tell me what's going on, or give some suggestions. I hoped uninstalling/reinstalling Pro Tools would do the trick, but no luck.

Lastly, I haven't updated since installing Pro Tools 7.0, and I'm still on OS 10.4.3. Are there any updates I should take advantage of?
Old 09-21-2006, 07:01 AM

Have you tried running a session without any BFD plugins? Does it make a difference? What other plugins are you using?
What are the readings in your activity monitor for "Free memory", "Active memory" and "Inactive Memory" when you are having the problem?
Also in activity monitor observe the page-in/page-out data and see if it stops incrementing after the initial session is loaded and all of your parameter adjustments have been completed.....in a normal system this will stop incrementing or only accassionally increment once all of the initial parameters are loaded into memory. If it is constantly incrementing you are swapping memory to the HD too much. Some plugings cause this if they are not set for optimized performance and some cause it no matter what I do. Those I don't use. I do get irratic behavour from PT when I have too much memory swapping.

randy