Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-01-2008, 03:25 AM

Default which peak meter?

hi,
i want to buy a simple peakmeter.
maybe a RTW 1206 or the cheaper solution, the t.meter from thomann.
(http://tinyurl.com/6f6mqj).
i know, maybe you can not go wrong with an rtw, but maybe the t.meter from thomann is not so bad after all, anyone ever used it?
thanks!
evs
Old 09-01-2008, 04:37 AM

Default Re: which peak meter?

If you deliver mixes to german broadcasters you won´t get around an RTW. It´s not worth the euros you save on a cheap one. You will lose way more on your first rejected mix from QC. RTW IS the standard and QC will use those in Germany.

You need DIN scale peak meter with 10ms of integration time if you deliver for german TV.

I haven´t used the t.meter but I highly recommend to compare the reading (with both ref-tones AND program material) to an RTW before you use it.

I have DK-audio and RTW here but the DK gives me different peak readings than the RTW even when set to DIN scale so beware.

Frank.
Old 09-01-2008, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Kruse View Post
I have DK-audio and RTW here but the DK gives me different peak readings than the RTW even when set to DIN scale so beware.

Frank.
REALLY??!! We're having a DK put in our new SSL C200 and adding matching DKs to two of our Avid Symphony post suites. Since we're in the States I'm sure we won't have issues, but it is surprising they're different.
Old 09-02-2008, 02:30 AM

Thats a nice hardware meter, if it is of any help I use this plug in on my PT set-up for checking broadcast levels:http://www.rawmaterialsoftware.com/ppm.php
Old 09-02-2008, 02:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Seaberg View Post
REALLY??!! We're having a DK put in our new SSL C200 and adding matching DKs to two of our Avid Symphony post suites. Since we're in the States I'm sure we won't have issues, but it is surprising they're different.
I guess for you it´s a non-issue. But here where the QC is very strickt on even 1dB too much peaks it really helps to use the exact same meter as QC.
My DK shows 1-2dBs higher peaks on the same material than my RTW on a DIN scale. With ref-tones they are exactly the same so it can only mean that the time-constants are somehow different.

But I guess this is somehow a german speciality. Here maximum level is -9dBFs and not one dB more so it´s crutial to use what QC uses. At least it makes you life much easier.

However DK make excelent meters. It´s only that if you work here and your level are good on an RTW there´s no boradcaster who could argue that you´re using a wrong meter.

frank.
Old 09-03-2008, 06:59 AM

i'm curious on how many of you have to follow VU specs for broadcasters. we had to get the same McCurdy (http://www.mcradio.com/) VU meter as a canadian broadcaster to keep them from rejecting our mixes. personally, i find it pretty archaic of them.
Old 09-04-2008, 01:37 AM

I always use BBC PPM type metering for broadcast
Old 09-04-2008, 06:36 AM

Discovery has rejected a mix or two of mine for VU levels being too high. But it was a ridiculous circumstance: Noisy dialog made the LM100 short term be above spec and also the VU. Watching a VU meter is a pretty mundane and almost impossible task ("Did that one word go over by a dB for a split second?" is a ridiculous question to ask yourself). I mix with my ear in a decent room, and in order to be creative and dramatic with my mixes I need the meter chains cut!

Broadcasters can figure out what works for their distribution chain once they have my mix.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paranerd View Post
i'm curious on how many of you have to follow VU specs for broadcasters. we had to get the same McCurdy (http://www.mcradio.com/) VU meter as a canadian broadcaster to keep them from rejecting our mixes. personally, i find it pretty archaic of them.
Old 09-04-2008, 09:48 AM

I have to watch the left and then the right VU for every mix for Radio Canada. yes, it IS a mundane task, but it has to be done to make sure the dial is between -7dB and +1dB. as a result, almost none of our mixes have been rejected (a few were because of issues happening during digibeta transfer). i don't understand WHY they still care about VU. maybe they don't want to fire the meter watchers? because of them, i need to spend an hour and a half watching meters and automating volume up and down! time i could spend on editing or mixing.

sorry, i just needed to vent a little.

for peak, we've always used phasescope with no issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcaudio View Post
Discovery has rejected a mix or two of mine for VU levels being too high. But it was a ridiculous circumstance: Noisy dialog made the LM100 short term be above spec and also the VU. Watching a VU meter is a pretty mundane and almost impossible task ("Did that one word go over by a dB for a split second?" is a ridiculous question to ask yourself). I mix with my ear in a decent room, and in order to be creative and dramatic with my mixes I need the meter chains cut!

Broadcasters can figure out what works for their distribution chain once they have my mix.