Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-08-2022, 10:24 AM

Default Import glitch

Attached is a screenshot example of my issue. When importing tracks, I get areas that "glitch". This happens with either the import menu or drag and drop. I've tried to and from different drives. I can even import a file that's already in the session and it glitches too. Importing the same WAV file into Logic or Samplitude is trouble free. I've not had any updates lately, cause quite frankly, I'm using whats been an older but totally functional system. I'm at a loss and wanted to see if anyone has any thoughts how to correct this, while I search online for any similar trouble and a solution.

MacPro 5,1 (2012)
128 GB RAM
OWC SSD audio drive internal and FW external
High Sierra 10.13.6
Pro Tools Ultimate 2022.7.0
All plugs are current up to this system.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2022-09-08 at 12.13.36 PM.jpg (42.4 KB, 0 views)
Old 09-08-2022, 10:37 AM

Default Re: Import glitch

When importing, does it glitch at the same position every time (suggesting the issue with the file) or does the glitch occur at different positions each time (suggesting a problem with the import procedure)? Have you tried with a new blank session? Sometimes when things get wonky, it is time to delete preferences again (the bane of Protools).

Mac Studio M1Max - 64GB
MacOS 14.4.1 running Protools 2024.3.1
Old 09-08-2022, 11:10 AM

It does glitch at the same place every time. However, it's been doing this for a week now on files from various sources. No way every file from multiple studios would all do that. Plus they load perfect into Logic. So it must be on my end.

I put them in my laptop, imported them ok. Saved the session to an external drive and it runs on my MacPro just fine. But thats a really annoying workaround....
Old 09-08-2022, 12:13 PM

Are the tracks that you are importing from Protools? What version is the original source created from? Are there any plugin processing on the tracks? Is there any automation with the tracks? Are you running the same version of Protools on your laptop and the desktop (Ultimate, Studio, Artist)? I'm just trying to see if there is a point where it may change.

Finally, did you try a new session? Did you delete preferences?

Mac Studio M1Max - 64GB
Old 09-08-2022, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsidian Dragon View Post
Are the tracks that you are importing from Protools?
Usually but not always. The ones today are WAVs from a client and Digital Performer. Previous have been Pro Tools and there same thing happens if I import session data.

Quote:
Are there any plugin processing on the tracks? Is there any automation with the tracks?
No

Quote:
Are you running the same version of Protools on your laptop and the desktop (Ultimate, Studio, Artist)? I'm just trying to see if there is a point where it may change.
Ultimate on both.

Quote:
Finally, did you try a new session? Did you delete preferences?
I did both. No difference. More in next message.....
Old 09-08-2022, 01:11 PM

I started thinking back. 3 months ago I added RAM. I have never had any issues and it made my soft synth usage glorious. But I haven't had as many projects delivered by download until now. So I removed the 128 GB and reverted back to just 16GB of the original RAM. Still had the same issue. So decided for clarity to do the whole procedure from scratch. Downloaded the file over again from WeTransfer. Unzipped it and imported the WAVS. Perfect. No glitch. So I switched back to the 128GB RAM. Did the whole procedure again......now it glitches. I tried both Safari and Firefox. Same results. So I'm considering this is an issue with the download and/or the decompression.....and obviously the RAM is part of it. SO I guess I'll remove a stick at a time, which is time consuming and annoying, and see if anything changes. Just seems strange that it matters only to Pro Tools. I can put them in Logic and be fine. Even Snapper will play them from the desktop with no glitch. I only get the glitch in Pro Tools when I've downloaded them with 128GB RAM
Old 09-08-2022, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasanta View Post
I started thinking back. 3 months ago I added RAM. I have never had any issues and it made my soft synth usage glorious. But I haven't had as many projects delivered by download until now. So I removed the 128 GB and reverted back to just 16GB of the original RAM. Still had the same issue. So decided for clarity to do the whole procedure from scratch. Downloaded the file over again from WeTransfer. Unzipped it and imported the WAVS. Perfect. No glitch. So I switched back to the 128GB RAM. Did the whole procedure again......now it glitches. I tried both Safari and Firefox. Same results. So I'm considering this is an issue with the download and/or the decompression.....and obviously the RAM is part of it. SO I guess I'll remove a stick at a time, which is time consuming and annoying, and see if anything changes. Just seems strange that it matters only to Pro Tools. I can put them in Logic and be fine. Even Snapper will play them from the desktop with no glitch. I only get the glitch in Pro Tools when I've downloaded them with 128GB RAM
Out of curiosity, who made / sold the 128 GB RAM?
Old 09-08-2022, 04:42 PM

Hmm. I had a MacPro that was 4,1 but firmware upgraded to 5,1. It's been a while but if I recall, the RAM was oddly installed with six 1 GB sticks at the time or purchase. There are 8 memory slots. So it started at 6GB. Perhaps the RAM needs to be installed in a particular slot order. Or you have one defective stick of RAM. Try swapping the RAM around to see if it makes any difference, or run with fewer pairs of RAM. Maybe start with 64GB (4 sticks of 16GB). If the problem persists, swap to the other 4 sticks to test. If the problem is RAM, hopefully you can isolate the bad stick.

Mac Studio M1Max - 64GB
Old 09-09-2022, 07:32 AM

After 7 times of disconnecting the computer, and taking out a stick, booting and testing....repeating. I thought I had found a bad stick. But apparently not. I got another glitch this morning. Tracked it down to an external SSD drive box that must be going bad somehow. Swapped it to a different box and everything is good. Sheesh.....that was exhausting. Hadn't been on one of those troubleshoot chases for over a decade.
Old 09-09-2022, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob L View Post
Out of curiosity, who made / sold the 128 GB RAM?
Made I don't know........but bought from MacSales (Other World Computing). Turns out that wasn't the culprit, The RAM is good.