Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools | MTRX & MTRX Studio

Old 07-13-2022, 11:19 PM

Default MTRX Studio Headphone Outputs vs HD Native Thunderbolt Box

I have a HD Native Thunderbolt box sitting atop a MTRX Studio, and I couldn't remember if I ever consciously auditioned the headphone out of the HD Native box beyond a quick check to see if it worked, so today I did a comparison between it and the MTRX Studio.

To me the HD Native Thunderbolt box is sounding more focused, balanced, and punchier, with the MTRX Studio having more shimmer (might be a good thing for some but not necessarily me) but with less punch, dynamics, or focus.

It's making me think something is wrong with the MTRX Studio. (The jacks don't make the best contact with HP plugs so maybe there is).

Anyone with both units compare these? What's your take? Is this how it is supposed to sound?
Old 07-25-2022, 08:07 PM

Default Re: MTRX Studio Headphone Outputs vs HD Native Thunderbolt Box

Are you sure you have the headphone outputs on the MTRX studio turned all the way up in DADMan? By default my MTRX studio had them down 6db which made driving lower impedance phones like my Sennheisers clip the amp outputs.
Genelec 1031AP/7070A 5.1 monitoring.
Old 07-26-2022, 10:04 AM
Avid

Yes, please observe multiple gain stages - both at the DA faders (end of the row) as well as within the specific monitor of the profile assigned to the HP amps.

best,

Jeff
MTRX FAQ
Old 07-28-2022, 09:22 PM

I don't have have an HD Native TB to compare but I do love the HP output on my MTRX ST comparing to many other HP amps I ever tried (I did allot). It has a great dynamics as well as full frequency range response.
The DA stage of MTRX ST is outstanding including the HP outs.

Sound Designer
/ mixer
www.goorevich.com

PT HD⎪N v2024.3 Ultimate ● macOS Ventura 13.6.3
MacPro 7.1 (2019) 3.2GHz Intel Xeon W 16-Core ● 96 GB RAM
MTRX Studio + DADman 5.7.0.1 + MOM ● Sync HD ● AJA Kona LHi referenced by AJA GEN10 ● D-Command ES24