Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-06-2010, 12:13 PM

Question Can you trim MIDI regions from inside the MIDI editor window?

I'm a Logic user but I've always wanted to learn Pro Tools so I picked up M-Powered and started playing around with its MIDI capabilities. Right off the bat working with MIDI regions isn't as smooth as Logic, but I'm going to chalk this up to being new to PT. So, maybe I'm missing something super simple here...

Let's say I have my MIDI editor window open. I want my region to conform to the size of my phrase (from the beginning of the first note to the end of the last note). So when I drag the timeline selection markers (the tiny blue arrows) in the bars/beats ruler from inside the MIDI editor window, I can see the selection also gets updated back in the main arrange window accordingly. However, it seems to me that's the only thing that happens -- a selection is made. No big deal since I can just Command+T it, but this doesn't work from inside the MIDI editor window (it's grayed out in the menu). I have to Command+` to cycle back to the arrange window and then trim. Is this the only way? In Logic, dragging the timeline selection markers (left/right limits) in the piano roll window instantly/dynamically resizes the region back in the arrange window; no need to invoke a separate trim command.

I suppose I could just use the trim tool in regions view on the instrument track, but I'd have to constantly zoom in and out to make sure my region sizes are exact. Plus for my workflow, I prefer having a separate editor window open when it comes to manipulating MIDI notes.

I'm pretty sure there's some tiny detail or setting somewhere that I missed?