Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-01-2005, 05:04 PM

Default Files are not found by ProTools, but are there

I have been having an intermittant problem that is happening more often now. Sometimes, when opening an existing session, ProTools will show a missing files error, and ask to manually or automatically find and relink, or skip the missing files. The thing is, the files are not actually missing. They are there on the drive, right where they were before. When I choose to automatically find and re-link, it doesn't work. If I manually find them in the project browser, it brings in the file again, but grayed out and italicised, like it's still missing. Either way it won't play. When I set it to automatically find and relink - and it doesn't - eventually a window appears showing that it didn't work. I double clicked on the folder in that search window and was able to manually find and re-link the files, but got a "file is too short" error message. It seems to be fine, but very worrisome. This is a problem I don't want my clients to see happen. Another engineer in my studio didn't have the troubleshooting skills I do and told the clients the files were lost! This could be very bad for business. Please help. Thank you
Old 02-01-2005, 05:19 PM

Default Re: Files are not found by ProTools, but are there

Check in your Workspace Window that the Audio drive with the sound files in question is still categorized as a Record (R) volume.

Rail
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
Old 02-02-2005, 03:06 PM

Rail,

Thanks for your reply.

The drives are designated as record drives. These are Pro Tools files worked on, saved, and closed within an hour or so before opening again during the same studio session. On another thread somewhere here I read about people deleting the digidesign database files. Is this something I should consider? Is it safe to delete those files?
Old 02-02-2005, 03:12 PM

Yes.. details are in the sticky troubleshooting thread at the top of this forum.

Rail
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
Old 02-02-2005, 06:31 PM

I actually encountered the same problem ... today ... for the first time.

What version of ProTools are you running?
6.7cs8 here.

thanks,
jep