Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Artist Series

Old 07-31-2012, 08:47 AM

Default Re: Is this platform developed any further?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xill View Post
Avid is not going well financially right now... They have canned the original Sibelius developers and support UK team less than 1 year after the new version was released. They are giving the development of Sibelius to their "audio team", people who are not experts about the subtleties of music engraving and notation. The first thing they did was break the software workflow by removing the entire top menu and making a Microsoft-type ribbon with stupid drawings that eats 15% of your screen.
The forum is a chaotic mess of dispute, there are petitions, professionals are immediately moving to the competition, universities refused to upgrade, etc.

Their reputation is going down the sink because indeed they are buying stuff they honestly do not have the expertise to manage.

I've also had (along with many others) the problem of the Pro-tools demo not loading any plugin's on my i7 imac. They never figured out what was causing this in over a year and finally proposed a reformatting... Riiight... like I have nothing else to do this month than re-install software... It's not as if I have a computer from 1990.

With the Euphonix all they had to do was make solid drivers and put themselves in the shoes of someone who wants a programmable console. Yet you still can't assign different functions on the transport and control wheels simultaneously, half of us suffers from ip/disconnection problems, you still can't copy-paste custom macros/commands, the plugins parameters are all in disorder on the control's screen. And now the touchscreen just won't work if you have the new Mac book pro. They are not actively managing the Euphonix brand, they are just reacting once in a while when we ask for something here.
Unfortunately for the customers, the Euphonix guys ditched the only controller platform on the market, after Radikal Tech, Steinberg and all the others have already left this market and the Mackie Controllers are pretty hard to come by, much too big and also don't work to well either.

One should think, that they would have had the chance to make a lot of money with the Euphonix brand, if the controllers had worked well. Apart from the audio area for instance, there is a lot of demand for the MC Transport from video editors, but it doesn't work with Premiere Pro and AE. I know a lot of video guys, waiting for this thing to work, but when I spoke to Adobe they said, there was no working communication with AVID and so they weren't interested to integrate it anymore, after the problems they had integrating EuCon into Audition.

I think, they are making a big mistake marketingwise, ignoring the customers and the potential ones, who would definetly buy this stuff, if it was working.

They are also once again cementing their image, being not customer friendly and pretty arrogant!
Old 07-31-2012, 06:20 PM

+1

half of us suffers from ip/disconnection problems

Completely right,

Please AVID make Eucon on artist series more STABLE !

After all we invest so much and should have be able to work correctly.
Old 08-01-2012, 06:26 PM

Unhappy Re: Is this platform developed any further?

Quote:
Originally Posted by klyg View Post
+1

half of us suffers from ip/disconnection problems

Completely right,

Please AVID make Eucon on artist series more STABLE !

After all we invest so much and should have be able to work correctly.
Yep ... but they don't seem to listen ...
Old 08-01-2012, 10:35 PM

Could all the ip and disconnect problems be networking problems on the customers end? I have had 4 artist controllers for a year. It took me a while to leads how to set up my network correctly. Now that it's set up right, I never have issues with eucon.
Old 08-02-2012, 12:21 PM

I too have had 4 units for a year. No networking issues whatsoever.
Old 08-02-2012, 05:18 PM

I've also had some network issues in the past but once solved everything works great and is very stable.
Old 08-02-2012, 06:30 PM

Me too with 3 units working

but

when working with more than 10 faders at same time / multiple hosts ( ex: PT10 demo session, mixing, inserting plugins...) makes Eucon crash, or unstable.

CF:

http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=322849

I have the fastest network I can setup...

Cat 7 (even artists just need cat 5 to run)
Giga switch
AE...

Tried all combinations, from simple to complex (dsl + router + several hosts)

Let me say that there is no problem with Protools on PC.

Strange because Mac should be more stable ?
Old 08-03-2012, 01:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by klyg View Post
I have the fastest network I can setup...

Cat 7 (even artists just need cat 5 to run)
Giga switch
Fine. However, for anyone else reading this, that won't provide any benefit, as the Artist units have 10/100M interfaces (not Gigabit) and basic Cat5 is just fine.
Old 08-03-2012, 04:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris-euphonix View Post
Fine. However, for anyone else reading this, that won't provide any benefit, as the Artist units have 10/100M interfaces (not Gigabit) and basic Cat5 is just fine.
Right,
and the Eucon instability cannot be ignored, whatever rj45 cat we are using.
Old 08-03-2012, 04:06 AM

Yep. I seem to be lucky. Or perhaps things are better with Logic. (never used PT).

FWIW my Artist units have the default configuration ("use DHCP"), and the DHCP service on my router is using static reservations, so each surface *always* gets the same IP address.