Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 03-27-2003, 11:30 PM

Default SATA vs ATA?

I'm looking to get a machine that "breathes fire" and I have a question about Hard Drives.

I know I want to go with Seagate Barracudas. But what is the difference between Serial ATA & Ultra ATA. Is the difference significant?

If so, would it be worth it to go with the Asus A7N8X (supports SATA) instead if the A7V333 (no SATA)?
Old 03-28-2003, 05:55 AM

Default Re: SATA vs ATA?

I'll let you know by this weekend! I'm setting up my A7N8X Deluxe with dual 120GB Seagate SATA hard drives tonight. My fingers are crossed.

From what I have been reading SATA will most probably become the new standard and most hard drive manufacturers have some new SATA drives in the works. Toms only recommends getting the drives now if you will use the Silicon Image chipset or Silicon Image PCI card. Thankfully the A7N8X Deluxe has the chip built in. Here are a few articles I found from Toms Hardware on SATA:

Maxtor goes SATA

Serial ATA

Hope this helps,

Xavier
Old 03-28-2003, 09:20 AM

I agree about SATA being "the future"...but as of right now the difference is negligible IMO. The SATA is rated up to 150mbps (as opposed to ATA 133) so thats a little faster...but no drives can even transfer at 133 yet; so thats lost. The cable is smaller...so air flow is better; but theres only 1 device allowed per channel. Frankly, I don't see a signifigant reason to strip a system and switch to SATA right now...but I probably would if I was building a new system from the ground up for no other reason than being ahead of the times. That Toms Hardware article xprod posted is a good resource too.
Old 03-28-2003, 09:24 AM

Maximum PC just did a comparison of these and they found little to no difference. The article is in the current issue if you want to check it out.

John

Old 03-28-2003, 10:05 AM

John,
I was under the same impression that the new ATA100 IBM 180GXP 7200rpm 8MB cache drive pretty much wasted the new SATA drives at the same speed. Now when that new 10,000rpm WD SATA drive comes out we will probably see some better results. Not worth the upgrade though. Better off getting a better CPU for PTLE.
Allen [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Old 03-28-2003, 11:07 AM

ATA is dead & won't get any faster. It has reached it's maximum useful life. Serial looks very promising and after a few generations we should real improvements. Buying a serial based system now is asking to be a beta tester. One bonus for SATA is getting a single drive on a single channel. A huge issue with ATA. 4 channel controllers will be common so know one will miss the old ATA way. For now ATA drives are cheap & reliable. 10K RPM drives sounds a bit better than 7200 RPM but not by much. I'm just speculating though. Heat? Noise? Ask those SCSI 15K RPM drive users about heat, noise, & failure.
Old 03-28-2003, 01:23 PM

I'd say putting these new ATA100 7200rpm 8MB cache drives in the Oxford 911 chipset firewire drive enclosures is our best bet right now. Run the system drive on the motherboard IDE primary and the audio drive off firewire. I'd like to see the drive performances on HD Tach or Sisoft Sandra HD Performance Test compared to SATA, RAID, and regular ATA IDE setups. Someone with two identicle drives, one on the motherboard IDE and one external via firewire please run Sisoft Sandra HD Performance test and give us some results on the two drives. I think Sandra already has SATA performances listed for comparison on the Sandra 2003. Free download from http://www.pcextreme.net/downloads.php
Thanks,
Allen
Old 03-28-2003, 07:32 PM

The WD S-ATA MTBF is something like 123 years (same as SCSI) as opposed to the "5 year component life" of the WD ATA drives.

Rail
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
Old 03-29-2003, 12:35 AM

I don't know if this will shed any more light on this subject but here goes:

Max PC, April, page 58.

"If you take a horse from a dirt road and put it on a freeway, it wtill won't trot at 100mph."

They compared ATA 100 verses ATA 133: No difference in real world performance. They say "no single hard drive will even push maximum read speeds in excess of about 66Mb/s".

They compared Parallel and serial ATA: Again almost no difference.

I think the basic problem is the speeds are limited by hard drive read and write speeds. Having tons of headroom / bandwith wont help you just yet.

Interesting article and worth a read. I just bought a new drive and decided to skip the Serial ATA at this time.

John [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Old 03-29-2003, 12:44 AM

really helpful. thanks