Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 01-07-2002, 01:50 PM

Default PTLE w/o digi hardware?

I just want to know if its possible to install PTLE on a system that is using USB (ex. midiman audiosport Quattro) and not 001 or toolbox. Will PTLE not install unless it detects digi PCI hardware? Basically I want to use PTLE on a TiBook w/ USB interface. I know the M Box is coming out, but I don't feel like waiting.

thanks in advance

daryl bowden
Old 01-07-2002, 02:10 PM

Default Re: PTLE w/o digi hardware?

i'm not sure if they make a install of pro tools that does not require some hardware.

I know if the software came with hardware then it acts as the donggle and must be present always or prot tools will not work.

Now it is possible that they make just a software install disk but like i said, that i'm not sure about.

you could go pro tools free until the M box?
Old 01-07-2002, 06:19 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by freakuincy:
you could go pro tools free until the M box?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Here's where you need to go, Pro Tools FREE for Mac

Even though it's way outdated, there was DAE PowerMix (which had + and -'s, a Time Code Ruler, but now discontinued AFAIK) which allowed you to do Stereo recording via Sound Manager (and compatible I/O cards). I don't know if anyone still has these, but they were like in the $300-500.00 MSRP-range a few years ago.
Old 01-07-2002, 10:58 PM

This is where my qualm with digi is. Why should I have to either pay for PTLE twice (001 and M Box) or use a lesser version on my laptop because they don't want to support other manufactuers. I mean what if this M box turns out to be a piece of crap and I'm stuck using it because PTLE won't let me install using a M-Audio product. I just think that I shouldn't have to pay twice for the same product.
Old 01-07-2002, 11:31 PM

Huh?

Pro tools FREE
Old 01-08-2002, 09:36 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by daryl bowden:
This is where my qualm with digi is. Why should I have to either pay for PTLE twice (001 and M Box) or use a lesser version on my laptop because they don't want to support other manufactuers. I mean what if this M box turns out to be a piece of crap and I'm stuck using it because PTLE won't let me install using a M-Audio product. I just think that I shouldn't have to pay twice for the same product.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, the only other option I can think of is that old, DAE
PowerMix

I agree, I don't want to have to pay for Pro Tools LE, again, just to get a portable solution under $800.00

Plus, I don't think that "hardware upgrades" work for the "host" systems, only from going 'host'->'TDM' + an additional $5-9000.00
Old 01-08-2002, 04:34 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Chompers:
Huh?

Pro tools FREE
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Old 01-08-2002, 04:35 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by daryl bowden:
[QB][/QB]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If I wanted to use an inferior product like PTF than I would have done so. The fact is I already paid for the superior product, so why should I pay for it again?