Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 11-04-1999, 09:21 AM

Default Why have two versions of Pro Tools? (LE and regular)

Hi guys,

I notice that many of you are still mentioning my name here on the User Conference, yet I haven't posted for several months. I have been very kindly asked not to post here by many of my friends in the music retail industry. It wouldn't have been a problem if I hadn't used my real name as my user name, so naturally almost everybody in the NYC area knew who I was and what I was doing. It was suggested that I create a new user name and continue to post, but I felt that doing so would be cowardly, dishonest, and unfair to the rest of you who post here.

My user name is TedRackley. Another user has (childishly) created a user name similar to mine: TedRackly, in an effort to defame me. Please disregard all posts left by this user.

Now on to the topic: Why have two versions of Pro Tools? Why not have just one piece of software that has every feature available but uses different hardware? Wouldn't that make more sense, a truly scalable system? Isn't that what professionals need? And why tie the system to any hardware at all? Make it work with Soundmanager so Powerbook users won't have to invest in an expansion chassis. Do you really think that professionals are going to rely on an unsupported piece of "pirate" software? C'mon Digidesign, let's put the "Pro" back in Pro Tools.

I welcome any other users' opinions on this topic.
Old 11-04-1999, 10:28 AM
Jim Clark

Default Re: Why have two versions of Pro Tools? (LE and regular)

Hey Ted,

I would guess the two versions are simply a marketing thing.

BTW, As long as you are on topic, why not post? If I recall correctly, I had a problem with you criticising PT while speaking about features of another product (incorrectly, I might add), and being basically argumentative, in my opinion.
I also was very annoyed that other users were basically harassing you, wasting bandwith, and mentioned it at the time. I would have e-mailed you directly, but you don't have an e-mail address in your profile.

Regards,
Jim Clark
Old 11-04-1999, 10:55 AM

I couldn't agree more !!

This is a Bull Sh*t move by Digi.

They are obviously feeling the pinch from MOTU and Emagic etc.and they want in on that market.

In the process someone had the "brilliant" idea of crippling all the AMIII users and potential 001 customers with this "le" thing.

Didn't they learn anything from the failed Project fiasco ?

People want the "real" ProTools, not some watered down version.

I want BACK the ability to transfer sessions from my TDM system to my AMIII system at home.
Come on Digi, I know I'm not alone on this.

Please make this right. I want to upgrade both systems, but with no Time Code support and this "le" garbage I am stuck with PT 4 and Digi is stuck with NO upgrade money from me.

kasper
Old 11-04-1999, 02:02 PM

Kasper

You're obviously right. In the cheapest midi sequencer you have a TC ruler. If Digi want to be the leader in the home studio market, why PT 5 LE?

And why you, Digi, never answer to the posts about that? For weeks pro AMIII users ask for an answer...something...This user conference is (as far as I know) to get feedback from you.
So what? Tell us that AM III is not more supported. Then we can look for other companies.

Regards
Jean
Old 11-04-1999, 08:31 PM

To Jim:
I agree that I occasionally went off topic, but it was so much fun, and the other users seemed to get a kick out of my posts. Oh well, you can't please everybody, I guess. I'm curious, what was I incorrect about when referring to other products features? The only time I remember was when danisrael challenged my post about sample-accurate sync.
Old 11-05-1999, 09:47 AM

Emagic - MicroLogic AV, Logic Audio Silver, Logic Audio Gold, Logic Audio Platinum

Opcode - VisionDSP, Studio Vision Pro

MOTU - Performer, Digital Performer

Steinberg - Cubasis AV, Cubase VST, Cubase VST Score, Cubase VST/24

Digidesign - Pro Tools LE, Pro Tools

I don't see the crime here.
Old 11-06-1999, 04:20 PM

The crime is that almost every one of the above programs has support for SMPTE and that the difference in price is only a few hundred dollars. You shouldn't have to invest $5000+ not including the computer to do something like Skywalker Sound did with their portable Powerbook/Pro Tools/ADR system that Digidesign is so proud to advertise on their main web page. With the new versions of Pro Tools, the setup is now impossible.
Old 11-07-1999, 08:54 AM

I've had a change of heart,
I actualy don't own any Digidesign equipment so my posts here are like someone stopping thier car at a bad crash accident and getting out (and in getting in every ones way) to have a good old look.
I rarely have anything positive to say regarding Digidesign or it's products (which I dont use).Owners and users look at the site for advice and tips, my posts are of no use to them at all.
I have come in rather late on this 001 timecode topic, my opinion on it is "old" and has already been voiced on several threads already. This has become a rather "tired" topic. I am sorry for being boring!
I have over estimated my popularity here on the DUG. I apologise and will go away for good this time, goodbye!

Ted
Old 11-07-1999, 11:16 PM

See what I mean?
Old 11-07-1999, 11:31 PM

Imposter Ted, go away. I like these debates.