Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-17-2012, 09:23 AM

Default Max Gutnik left avid

Old 07-17-2012, 09:28 AM

Default Re: Max Gutnik left avid

This thing ain't looking good. We could be going back into the dark ages. The end of third party hardware could be soon. NO more ADC. And much more.

If PT ever becomes 64bit it will be at an additional cost like CPTK. I am sure there will be two versions. Why waste time on 32 bit AAX plugins if PT 11 is going to 64 bit only.
Old 07-17-2012, 09:39 AM

Interesting times indeed...

Pro Tools | latest
Mac Mini Server | OSX | Current
16GB Ram | SSHD
Apogee Ensemble Thunderbolt
Old 07-17-2012, 09:50 AM

From Pro Tools Expert Blog...

"...I spoke to Max this morning and he confirmed the news and had this to say “I’m very excited. Line 6 is one of those rare places where innovation is truly in their DNA. The people there are amazingly talented and passionate about their products and their customers. It’s going to be fun!”

I don't want to put words in someone's mouth, but I can't help but think the excitement is because he wasn't finding that innovation and passion at AVID...

Pro Tools | latest
16GB Ram | SSHD
Old 07-17-2012, 10:01 AM

He who pays the most...wins.
Old 07-17-2012, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lincoln mitchell View Post
from pro tools expert blog...

"...i spoke to max this morning and he confirmed the news and had this to say “i’m very excited. Line 6 is one of those rare places where innovation is truly in their dna. The people there are amazingly talented and passionate about their products and their customers. It’s going to be fun!”

i don't want to put words in someone's mouth, but i can't help but think the excitement is because he wasn't finding that innovation and passion at avid...
bingo!
Old 07-17-2012, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philip888 View Post
This thing ain't looking good. We could be going back into the dark ages. The end of third party hardware could be soon. NO more ADC. And much more.

If PT ever becomes 64bit it will be at an additional cost like CPTK. I am sure there will be two versions. Why waste time on 32 bit AAX plugins if PT 11 is going to 64 bit only.
I highly doubt that in the unlikely event that any of this happened, that it would have anything to do with Max leaving, or the other recent changes in the company.

The Sibelius office closing is the only thing that has me concerned, but we really don't know what actually happened, if they closed the office and fired everyone, or if they re-located the core people to other offices.

If a MIDI event triggers a sample of a tree falling and there's no one there to hear it, does it make a sound?
Old 07-17-2012, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Toolbox View Post
I highly doubt that in the unlikely event that any of this happened, that it would have anything to do with Max leaving, or the other recent changes in the company.

The Sibelius office closing is the only thing that has me concerned, but we really don't know what actually happened, if they closed the office and fired everyone, or if they re-located the core people to other offices.
I hope you are right, but it does leave the obvious question of who is steering the development of pro tools.

Pro Tools | latest
16GB Ram | SSHD
Old 07-17-2012, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philip888 View Post

Whoa... that's a bit hyperbolic.

First off, why would they get rid of features that are already there? Seems kinda fruitless after all the fighting we did just to get them in the first place.

Second, when PT goes 64 bit... it will be 64 bit. Period. Full stop. End of story. Just because some plugins are still in 32 bit, there's no reason why PT can't be 64 bit. In fact, most plugins probably won't even need to be 64 bit. I can't imagine a single compressor plugin ever needing more than 4GB of RAM by itself... it's really only VIs that will benefit the most from 64 bit memory addressing.

D
a n t h e I n c r e d i b l e S o u n d M a n

"Svetlana" v1 - 4.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.7.4
Liquid Saffire 56 - PT10.2 - BFD2, VCC, Duende Native, Play 3.0

_C U R R E N T-D V E R B-S C O R E:515
Old 07-17-2012, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dism View Post
Whoa... that's a bit hyperbolic.

First off, why would they get rid of features that are already there? Seems kinda fruitless after all the fighting we did just to get them in the first place.

Second, when PT goes 64 bit... it will be 64 bit. Period. Full stop. End of story. Just because some plugins are still in 32 bit, there's no reason why PT can't be 64 bit. In fact, most plugins probably won't even need to be 64 bit. I can't imagine a single compressor plugin ever needing more than 4GB of RAM by itself... it's really only VIs that will benefit the most from 64 bit memory addressing.
Just speaking my mind. No way to really know what is on the horizon. Expecting the worse until otherwise notified.