Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-04-2010, 07:10 AM

Default 7.3 on WINDOWS to NEW iMac---Need to upgrade to 8, but how?

I recently purchased a gorgeous quadcore iMac running snow leopard to run Pro Tools the right way finally. I used to run 7.3 with my 003 on a windows XP computer (until it died). I guess I'm just wondering how the $150 Pro Tools 8 upgrade I'll need to buy is going to work. I only have the 7.3 installation dvd, no version of pro tools is installed on the iMac yet. Is the downloadable upgrade just an upgrade that will be useless since there's no version installed yet, or will it actually install the program and just ask for my old authentication code?

I'd like to avoid $150 or more mistake.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Old 02-04-2010, 08:26 AM

Default Re: 7.3 on WINDOWS to NEW iMac---Need to upgrade to 8, but how?

Well running PT the rite way on SL is humorous to say the least

But anyway, PT8 is PT8, meaning when u buy it, ur buying PT... So what does that have to do with no version installed? Nuthin!!! thatz actually whaat u want in ur case especially with a new Imac runnin SL...(I hate u believe thatz the 'rite' way)

'IS TAMARA HOME'
NO, SHE'S WITH
HOBO KEY
'' (that dopey green thing)

('we' must start using pronouns)
Old 02-04-2010, 08:33 AM

Yes, the PT8 upgrade is really not an upgrade, it's the full program. It's good that you don't have 7.3 installed because Digi recommends you uninstall it anyway, so you're good to go. You won't need your old activation code as the new software will have it's own.

When you install the new software, it will ask to do a firmware upgrade for your 003. Go ahead and do that.
Old 02-04-2010, 09:21 AM

Thanks very much. And sorry for claiming "the right way" lol It's just that when you've been using a P.O.S. windows system and experienced the laundry list of problems that I have, it makes this iMac seems like a gift from god. Thanks again.
Old 02-04-2010, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JM11 View Post
Thanks very much. And sorry for claiming "the right way" lol It's just that when you've been using a P.O.S. windows system and experienced the laundry list of problems that I have, it makes this iMac seems like a gift from god. Thanks again.
Keep reading around my friend

'IS TAMARA HOME'
NO, SHE'S WITH
HOBO KEY
'' (that dopey green thing)

('we' must start using pronouns)
Old 02-04-2010, 02:14 PM

I'm running PT8 on Snow Leopard. It runs like a dream for me. Enjoy. Just make sure that after you install PT8 you then upgrade to PT 8.0.3 which you can download from the Digidesign website for free.
Old 02-07-2010, 12:43 PM

Coming from someone who actually USES PT 8.0.3cs1 with Snow Leopard, I can tell you that it is working FLAWLESSLY. This is a great release, in my personal experience. I use this system every single day and night. I say go for it.
Old 02-07-2010, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritonemusic View Post
Coming from someone who actually USES PT 8.0.3cs1 with Snow Leopard, I can tell you that it is working FLAWLESSLY. This is a great release, in my personal experience. I use this system every single day and night. I say go for it.
I have to (eat my words and) agree. I had tons of problems — and complained about them a lot — when I first upgraded from 7.4.2, but it turned out to be a combination of some sketchy plugins, a somewhat flaky hard drive, and the 8.0.3pr's beta status. Since upgrading to 8.0.3, fixing my hard drive, removing and/or updating the plugins that weren't on Digi's compatibility grid (keeping a few others I can't live without, like McDSP's ML4000 limiter, 112db's Redline Reverb, and Overloud's Breverb), it's been pretty solid. There are still annoying bugs (like right now it keeps losing some X-Form rendered elastic audio files & having to recreate them, slowly), but I've definitely been able to work productively for a few weeks now.

And your luck should likely be even better, since you have a clean system already! Do pay attention to what plugins you install, use a 7200+ rpm external firewire hard drive for your audio files/sessions (you can daisy chain computer -> drive -> 003), and you should be just fine.

Here's the plugin compatibility grid. Use it, really:
http://www.digidesign.com/plugingrid

~peter in oakland
Old 02-07-2010, 01:59 PM

by the way, I'm using 8.0.3, not 8.0.3cs1. I haven't updated because it's working well for me as it is...

~peter
Old 02-07-2010, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huzzam View Post
And your luck should likely be even better, since you have a clean system already! Do pay attention to what plugins you install, use a 7200+ rpm external firewire hard drive for your audio files/sessions (you can daisy chain computer -> drive -> 003), and you should be just fine.

Here's the plugin compatibility grid. Use it, really:
http://www.digidesign.com/plugingrid

~peter in oakland
Great advice, Peter. Glad that things are looking up for you.