Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2019

Old 05-30-2020, 11:32 AM

Default Re: PT freezing every 5 seconds, for 2 seconds

I was on the phone with Avid tech support for the past couple of hours and the only workaround right now is to work offline - so no connection to the internet while in Pro Tools.

Do the same thing if you're having the same issue with PTU 2019.

I'll post any updates if they come up with a resolution outside of it just resolving on its own.
Old 05-30-2020, 01:07 PM

Also seeing this .. it's a bit worst than just the UI freezing.
If you are recording MIDI into a track, the notes get dropped
at the same point the UI freeze happens.

This is a serious bug.
Old 05-30-2020, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by puppymachine View Post
I was on the phone with Avid tech support for the past couple of hours and the only workaround right now is to work offline - so no connection to the internet while in Pro Tools.

Do the same thing if you're having the same issue with PTU 2019.

I'll post any updates if they come up with a resolution outside of it just resolving on its own.
this is really strange… my PT is running smoothly again since my last post approx. 3 hours ago, everything fine… just like the problem didn't come up at all, with internet connection up.

i don't know why though… i keep my fingers crossed for you guys!
Old 05-30-2020, 02:39 PM

I was just going to post to see if anyone is having this issue. Same thing here on two systems (PT|U, running native with Red8Pres). Everything was fine yesterday...Both had 2020.3, tried updating to 2020.5 and it seems slightly better, but still very frustrating.

So by run offline, I have to disconnect the internet? Is it possible to 'run offline' without disconnecting the network cable?

I use a central server to host sessions, so that's not much of an option here.
Old 05-30-2020, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanC View Post
So by run offline, I have to disconnect the internet? Is it possible to 'run offline' without disconnecting the network cable?

I use a central server to host sessions, so that's not much of an option here.
I don't think you need to disconnect the actual cable, but just turn off the network connection in your settings. In my case (also having the same issue) just turning off my wi-fi (my only connection) did the trick. Working fine for me now.
1 G-Drive Pro 4 TB
2 G-Drive 6 TB
ProTools 2021.3.1
Melodyne 5
Soundtoys Bundle 5.3.2
Omnisphere 2.6.2
Massey L2007
Superior Drummer 2.3.2
Komplete 13 Ultimate
Old 05-30-2020, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanegrla View Post
I don't think you need to disconnect the actual cable, but just turn off the network connection in your settings. In my case (also having the same issue) just turning off my wi-fi (my only connection) did the trick. Working fine for me now.
Right, but that drops the connection to the session server. I guess we can copy files to the local drive, turn off the network, and then replace them back on the server-

That's a crappy option though. If someone messes it up, it can big mistake.

I hope they fix this fast.

Does this still happen if you roll back to 2019.x?
Old 05-30-2020, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanC View Post
Right, but that drops the connection to the session server. I guess we can copy files to the local drive, turn off the network, and then replace them back on the server-

That's a crappy option though. If someone messes it up, it can big mistake.

I hope they fix this fast.

Does this still happen if you roll back to 2019.x?

I don't 100% remember, but 2019 was laggy, just not as bad as 2020.5. When I went back to Pro Tools a few hours back, things seemed to be stable again.

How's everybody else doing?
Old 05-30-2020, 06:44 PM

If you disconnect from the internet, PT will work once again. Reconnect, and the issue returns. Not sure why, how, or when it ends. I only know that that is the cause.

All other web apps work fine. Speedtest shows no slowdown. iLok related? I hope it is gone when I wake up tomorrow!
Old 05-30-2020, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reichman View Post
I'm doing a Time Machine restore of my boot drive before the latest Mojave security update. According to Time Machine, my system was 10.14.6 (18G4032) before the update, and 10.14.6 (18G5033) after. But I'm not sure if this is actually the problem.

How many of you installed the latest security update?
If I hadn't read anything on the DUC today, I would've come to the conclusion that it was the security update. After my Time Machine restore to 18G4032, I no longer have the problem. Internet on, Eucon on... all good.
Old 05-31-2020, 02:12 AM

Same issue.
Yesterday evening it started. (around 7pm CEST I guess).
2 hours before we were going live for a live stream broadcast out of our studio, mixed on protools.

I figured out quite quickly that being connected to the internet was an issue, but for the livestream off course disconnecting was not an issue.

I found a couple of possible things that I could change.
1. had only 9GB of space left on my system HD, so cleaned out about 40GB.
2. I updated avid link
3. I updated protools to 2020.5

After doing those 3 things my problem was gone, and protools was as responsive as it could be. All working fine.

Didn't have the time to do things one by one, so can only say that the combination of those things lead to a fix for me.

I did have the impression that the avid link app was bugging, and maybe causing problems. Anyway my main suspect
As I see it, it is part of protools (taking care of updates and such), and it's an app that get's you logged in into your avid account.

By the way, not having protools open I also noticed this app being extremely slow to open up, and get me logged in to check for updates. It really took minutes. (I have an 800Mbps internet connection so that couldn't be the issue)

Let's see if more news comes up, I wouldn't mind taking my system offline for the sake of recording as a temporary fix. But in 2 weeks we have another live streamed concert, so offline is no option.

Good luck to all of you