Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-13-2009, 11:15 AM

Default Smart Tool in MIDI Editing in PT8

In PT8, when I move the Smart Tool into a MIDI track, rather than becoming a selector in the middle of the MIDI track as it does in the middle of an audio track, it becomes a "crosshair", and I need to manually choose the "selector" cursor. I don't recall it working this way in PT7.

Anyone else seeing this? Feature or bug?

Thanks!
Old 01-13-2009, 12:13 PM

Default Re: Smart Tool in MIDI Editing in PT8

Same here. Already posted this.
Old 01-13-2009, 12:18 PM

Digi?

I did a fresh install of Leopard and then PT8, and I've had no problems whatsoever, other than this one.
Old 01-13-2009, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erant1 View Post
In PT8, when I move the Smart Tool into a MIDI track, rather than becoming a selector in the middle of the MIDI track as it does in the middle of an audio track, it becomes a "crosshair", and I need to manually choose the "selector" cursor. I don't recall it working this way in PT7.

Anyone else seeing this? Feature or bug?

Thanks!
Hi,

when in notes and velocity view it becomes the crosshair grabber tool? this can also select notes etc as you can simply select a group of notes by lassoing them. But if you click "zoom toggle" it will become the selector tool like before. I guess they though the the grabber would be more useful.

(zoom toggle is the small box under the mag glass!)

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 01-13-2009, 12:29 PM

Hi -

You're correct that you can either change the tool (I do it through my ProControl, but it's an extra, unnecessary step), or you can lasso notes.

However, very often I want to highlight a section of the MIDI info from a start to end time - with all notes within that time. If you try to do that with the lasso, you find yourself scrolling incredibly fast up or down in the MIDI notes track.

And I'm relatively certain this wasn't the behavior in PT 7, but haven't seen this mentioned in the "What's New in PT8" guide.
Old 05-03-2009, 01:07 PM

Unhappy Re: Smart Tool in MIDI Editing in PT8

I'm not pleased about this change. Even though you can use Alt to get the normal selector instead of the crosshair/lasso, I'd much prefer the opposite. That is, smart tool in middle of MIDI notes/velocity view is selector tool as before, and alt will make it the lasso/crosshair. *hopes for a checkbox in the prefs to this effect in the future*

Brian
Old 10-26-2009, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwherry View Post
I'm not pleased about this change. Even though you can use Alt to get the normal selector instead of the crosshair/lasso, I'd much prefer the opposite. That is, smart tool in middle of MIDI notes/velocity view is selector tool as before, and alt will make it the lasso/crosshair. *hopes for a checkbox in the prefs to this effect in the future*

Brian
Adding my hope for this change too. Bring back the smart tool selector in Notes view!

Thanks.
Old 10-26-2009, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Track Music View Post
Adding my hope for this change too. Bring back the smart tool selector in Notes view!

Thanks.
Yes. Please do this.

Also, Please let us control drag midi regions (to maintain time position) between midi tracks (like you can audio regions) without it switching views to notes view. Without the ability to control drag midi regions, the only sure way to make sure that midi regions don't budge left or right is to copy paste with the keyboard or move to snap to grid mode with a high grid setting. This drives me absolutely crazy!!!!!!
160 GB RAM
macOS 11.7.4
Noisebox Studios -Utah Recording Studio
Old 12-15-2010, 04:32 AM

I agree with all

We want the smart tool of PT7 version........

www.myspace.com/alx002
Old 12-15-2010, 06:54 AM

I totally agree also. Please bring back the original midi smart tool. The pointer is far less useful than the selector. Drives me crazy too!