How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-09-2021, 04:31 AM

Default Pro Tools failing to load plug-in already in plug-ins folder

Hi there,

After updating my MacOS to Catalina I've encountered a problem when loading one of my sessions.

As the only plug-in, Pro Tools won't recognise the TDR Nova plug-in already inserted on one of my tracks. It says that it doesn't exist in the plug-in folder. But it does. And I am able to load it as a new insert, but I can't activate the one already inserted.

Any one know how to fix this? I have reinstalled the plug-in, updated Pro Tools, deleted the plug-in from the folder and reinstalled it. Nothing have worked.
Old 12-09-2021, 05:24 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools failing to load plug-in already in plug-ins folder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onion Apple View Post
Hi there,

After updating my MacOS to Catalina I've encountered a problem when loading one of my sessions.

As the only plug-in, Pro Tools won't recognise the TDR Nova plug-in already inserted on one of my tracks. It says that it doesn't exist in the plug-in folder. But it does. And I am able to load it as a new insert, but I can't activate the one already inserted.

Any one know how to fix this? I have reinstalled the plug-in, updated Pro Tools, deleted the plug-in from the folder and reinstalled it. Nothing have worked.
Get the latest installer (if you haven't already done that) and use that. Are you letting the installer put the plugin where it wants to? Are you using a custom install location by any chance?

QAPLA!
Old 12-12-2021, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
Get the latest installer (if you haven't already done that) and use that. Are you letting the installer put the plugin where it wants to? Are you using a custom install location by any chance?
Thanks for the tips. Already tried installing it with the latest installer. Also tried removing the old plugin from the folder before installing. No custom install location. None of it worked. I'm seriously baffled.

I wouldn't care if it wasn't because the mix is just as well done and the client is happy. But I can't find a workaround.
Old 12-12-2021, 09:53 AM

Exact version of Pro Tools?

What exactly and when are you getting a message telling you the plugin does not exist in the plugin folder?

Did you start troubleshooting by trashing prefs?

Does the Pro Tools log show anything interesting?
Old 12-12-2021, 11:09 AM

And rereading the description: does this happen in other sessions? It may be a corrupted session. Can you delete the existing insert and then insert another?
Old 12-12-2021, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onion Apple View Post
Hi there,

I'm confused,, if as you say , you are able to "load it as a new insert" (and it works) why not just do that ?

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...
Old 12-12-2021, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K Roche View Post
I'm confused,, if as you say , you are able to "load it as a new insert" (and it works) why not just do that ?
Maybe because he wants the plugin with the settings saved in the session
Old 12-13-2021, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by innesireinar View Post
Maybe because he wants the plugin with the settings saved in the session
Yes I understand not wanting to redo the settings. Kinda obvious really

So if trashing the Pro Tools preferences (as Darryl mentioned) does not do it for him

Then I see only two other factors

#1 If he thinks that plugin is critical to the session then IMO resetting a new instance would be preferable to not having it...
Because ::
#2 Given he can instantiate a new instance that works ,,, then it is likely something about that specific first instance ,, that is corrupted in that session, and it wont matter if he "wants it with the saved settings " because it probably ain't gonna happen And It's not that complex of a plugin to reset .

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...
Old 12-13-2021, 12:27 PM

Quote:

So if trashing the Pro Tools preferences (as Darryl mentioned) does not do it for him

#1 If he thinks that plugin is critical to the session then IMO resetting a new instance would be preferable to not having it...
#2 Given he can instantiate a new instance that works ,,, then it is likely something about that specific first instance ,, that is corrupted in that session, and it wont matter if he "wants it with the saved settings " because it probably ain't gonna happen And It's not that complex of a plugin to reset .
Besides the OP may find something that works/sounds better than he first used. That's happened to me more than a few times.

QAPLA!
Old 12-13-2021, 01:49 PM

Quote:

Never used the plugin the op is referring to.
But a couple of weeks ago I tried load a session saved in pro tools 10 many years ago. There was an instance of BFD 3 in rtas format that now in aax doesn't load. It tells me that the plugin is not present in the folder. Yes I loaded the aax vs in fefault setting. Well it's very hard to recreate the settings that were saved in the original session. Individual drum instrums, tunings, decays, mics balance etc.
Just to say that sometimes reloading the original settings is necessary