Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 11-05-2010, 02:52 PM

Default PT 9 - So let me get this straight...

RE: Pro Tools 9

So, let me get this straight:

Prior to Pro Tools 9, I could install Pro Tools software on various different computers, but I could only run it on the computer(s) to which I had my Pro Tools/Digidesign hardware connected. But now, with Pro Tools 9, I not only have the Pro Tools/Digi hardware connected to the computer I'm running Pro Tools on, but I *also* have to have a dongle connected (like Avid)?

Are you kidding me?

So, I have two 003 Racks and one M-Box 2 Pro. Three installations of Pro Tools. Three computers. And to be able to use them all at one time, I will have to buy Pro Tools 9 "crossgrade" THREE TIMES?

Have I got that right?

Are you kidding me?

And the PT 9 upgrade ("crossgrade") price of $249 is roughly 2.5 times the price of virtually every previous upgrade? And to get WHAT, exactly? To get the "right" to have to buy it THREE TIMES in order to use it on all three of my three machines that are running with three different Pro Tools hardware devices?

Are you kidding me?

What a rip-off!
Old 11-05-2010, 02:55 PM

Default Re: PT 9 - So let me get this straight...

No, you buy it once and have your license on your iLok. Plug that iLok into ANY computer with PT9 installed with ANY interface, or no interface at all.

EDIT: why would you need to run 3 different PT rigs at the same time?
SIIG FireWire Express Card
Windows 7 Ultimate X64

Pro Tools 8.0.4 LE
Digi003 Rack || PreSonus D8 || ART MPA Gold || ART PRO VLA II || Ensoniq DP/2
M-Audio Axiom 49 || Behringer BCF2000
Yamaha HS50Ms

Bands: Captain Starr || stereoINs
Drums: 1 || 2 || 3
Guitars: 1 || 2 || 3
Old 11-05-2010, 03:14 PM

Quote:
But now, with Pro Tools 9, I not only have the Pro Tools/Digi hardware connected to the computer I'm running Pro Tools on, but I *also* have to have a dongle connected
Wrong. You don't need the hardware connected anymore, just the iLok dongle. You can sell the hardware boxes if you want to, i.e. if you were just buying them as dongles and not using any of the hardware features.
Old 11-05-2010, 03:31 PM

I wasn't just using the hardware as a dongle. I was using it as the primary sound device when producing in Pro Tools.

So now they've rendered my investment moot?

Nice.
Old 11-05-2010, 03:33 PM

Why would I need to run three different Pro Tools rigs at once?

Well, I probably wouldn't. Except that there have been a few times when I've had someone over and we were both working on different project simultaneously. And since I'd paid for three separate installations of Pro Tools, I wasn't violating any "you can't run this on more than one computer at a time" policies.

Now, Avid has basically told me, "no, you can only run it on ONE computer at a time...unless you buy this new upgrade THREE TIMES." Heck I already bought three hardware devices that allowed me to be running three instances of the software.

This is an enormous rip-off.
Old 11-05-2010, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Now, Avid has basically told me, "no, you can only run it on ONE computer at a time...unless you buy this new upgrade THREE TIMES." Heck I already bought three hardware devices that allowed me to be running three instances of the software.

Good point!

Personally I think it's all gone M-Powered - 'Pro Tools with an iLok', and the reason I used LE instead of M-Powered was because I work on a Macbook with 2 USB ports - one for Mbox2 and One for Midi controller.

Old 11-05-2010, 03:53 PM

Seems to me that if running multiple simultaneous instances is that important, you shouldn't upgrade.

If the new software features turn your crank, be a buyer.

This is a common decision that has to be made by anyone who uses software or hardware that is upgraded from time to time.
Old 11-05-2010, 03:55 PM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandB View Post

Well, I probably wouldn't. Except that there have been a few times when I've had someone over and we were both working on different project simultaneously. And since I'd paid for three separate installations of Pro Tools, I wasn't violating any "you can't run this on more than one computer at a time" policies.

Your investment is exactly the same as when you paid for it - you aren't required to purchase the upgrade if you don't want to. This is, after all, an entirely new way of doing things for us and dongle authorizations are pretty standard in the industry - Cubase, Nuendo, MediaComposer, VSL, etc. all use dongle auths.

Quote:
So, I have two 003 Racks and one M-Box 2 Pro. Three installations of Pro Tools. Three computers. And to be able to use them all at one time, I will have to buy Pro Tools 9 "crossgrade" THREE TIMES?
Technically you would have had to do the same previously, meaning purchase an individual upgrade for each system - the license argreement states it as such. If you were only purchasing 1 upgrade and using it on all 3 systems, well...
Old 11-05-2010, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandB View Post

Here's an idea. Keep using PT 8 on the other two rigs, and use PT 9 only on the main rig?

If you really see a huge need for another PT 9 license for a second rig, $249.00 isn't exactly a ball buster.

I have two rigs too. One in my house, one in my studio. I mainly edit in my house, so bringing my iLok in from the studio ain't exactly a daunting prospect. But hey, that's just me.
Old 11-05-2010, 04:51 PM

The Digi hardware device, be it a 002, 002 Rack, 003, 003 Rack, M-Box 2, etc. *was* the dongle. It was sold as such. "You need this hardware to run the software."

Now the paradigm has changed. And if you ask me (which you didn't), Avid is basically screwing its long-time customers.

So now, we don't need the hardware we purchased. Gee, it would have been nice to know that when I spent $1200 each on the two 003 Racks and $900 on the M-Box 2 Pro. I could have waited and just spent $600 each on Pro Tools 9.

But not only that, but now, not only do I not need the three hardware devices, but I need a dongle on each computer if I want to run the software simultaneously.

They getcha comin' and goin'.

What a scam.