Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-13-2003, 03:17 PM

Default which G4 should i stay away from if i want an 001?

hello everyone -

i have a very small window of decision on whether or not to buy one of last year's G4 towers with a monitor for well under a grand. sounds like a great deal, but i'm thinking of getting an 001 and i know that there are compatibility issues with some of the newer macs. i just don't know which ones. can anyone tell me exactly what to look out for so i don't get all hyper and spring for a mac i can't use with PT?

in advance, THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU

ryan
Old 02-13-2003, 03:52 PM

Default Re: which G4 should i stay away from if i want an 001?

I use a 733Mhz Quicksilver G4 and I've never had a problem with my DIGI-001. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Old 02-13-2003, 05:00 PM

Ryan I've been posing this question for a few days. I actually had a new old stock dual 867 ordered but then cancelled it after hearing about all the nightmares out there. Loud fans/hangs/audio artifacts.

After looking around and searching different forums it seems they are still having hit or miss problems with bad motherboards in all the dual models but mostly the 867's.

I called Digi presales and they said even though the new (cheaper) G4's aren't officially signed off he hasn't heard anything negative but can take up to six weeks in testing. I read on another forum that they are the same motherboards but fixed the problems and changes the way they clock them to make them more stable. Who knows. Long story short I ordered a new dual 1.25 G4 today. I will keep my fingers crossed. Either way its a crap shoot. I didn't want to deal with the dual 867 if I ended up with a bad one. I figured my odds were better with the new models. Good luck getting a "right" answer.
Old 02-13-2003, 05:31 PM

thanks for the info guys.

it seems as if it's dual processors that have the problem. i'm not sure if it's one of those that i'm being offered, i have to find out. i know it's a 450 AGP with a ton of ram, but not if it's a dual Proc. or not. sounds like a great deal, but also like a kind of slow computer for running PT 6... (if it's only a single proc.)
we'll have to see.

ryan
Old 02-14-2003, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by tufness:
hello everyone -

i have a very small window of decision on whether or not to buy one of last year's G4 towers with a monitor for well under a grand. sounds like a great deal, but i'm thinking of getting an 001 and i know that there are compatibility issues with some of the newer macs. i just don't know which ones. can anyone tell me exactly what to look out for so i don't get all hyper and spring for a mac i can't use with PT?

in advance, THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU

ryan
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I Don't know but I have a 1GHz PowerMac G4, Mirrored Doors and I haven't been able to make it work with the digi 001. It seems there is a problem with the digi 001 PCI card and the G4's processor. So if I was to buy a new Mac, I'd just be sure of the Digidesign's Compatibility chart.
Just to make sure.
And if you find some news about it I'd be very thankful for any information about how to solve my problem.
Thanks and good luck.
Old 02-14-2003, 09:36 AM

Snowdog,Is that a single processor?have you taken it back to apple for a new motherboard?
Ray
Old 02-14-2003, 10:23 AM

I use a single G4 933 and I love the compatibility! I'll be glad to get rid of OS 9.2 and use OSX for the first time. The last time I saw OSX was last April when I first purchased it and set it up. It'll be like a brand new computer for me.
Old 02-14-2003, 11:20 AM

I have a 933 and a 001, and it's a good setup.
Old 02-15-2003, 12:33 AM

I briefly had a dual 1.0 Mac (ordered it one week before the price drop! OUCH!) which worked fine with ProTools LE 5.X.X and my Digi001. However, the computer suffered a total nervous breakdown the first day I had it, and the dealer (Annex Pro in Vancouver), kindly took it back after failing to get it up and running again the next day. I've since ordered a Dual 1.42 and am waiting for that. So, I didn't have any Pro Tools related problems with the 001 and the Dual 1.0GHz. However, the machine was quite noisy (fans etc), so I'd make sure you see one in person before you go ordering anything.

Charlie.
Old 02-15-2003, 04:32 PM

I installed a digi001 on a dual 867 two weeks ago with no problems at all except for fan noise. Leaf Blower ... no kidding!

at the clients request, I replaced the internal fans as per directions at Accelerate you mac . after 10 days, it is quieter than the B&W G3 it replaced, and so far no heat problems after 10 days.