Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > MIDI

Old 06-06-2007, 08:32 PM

Default electronic drum kit recording setup(MIDI) help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hello everyone!

ok so here's the situation: I recently got an electronic drum kit, now I want to record this as follow:

I want a track for each sound(kick,snare,tom etc)

record this simultaneously(but midi records just one track at a time..)

basically I want to setup an 8 tracks recording section(midi since the kit has a midi out) assign a track to each sound(pad) record this simultaneously and turn it into audio.

Im aware I can just record the audio from the outputs of the drum module, but I want a track for each sound. I already tried setting up 8 midi instruments, and also 8 midi/aux, set each track input to a channel(1to8)
but Im pretty sure im doing something wrong. Now since you can't record more than 1 midi track at a time, how can I record the 8 tracks simultaneously????

in other words, is this even possible? how people who got electronic drum kits record this as if it was an acoustic set? you know, a track for each pad/sound whatever. Please help!!!!!!!!
Old 06-06-2007, 09:03 PM

Default Re: electronic drum kit recording setup(MIDI) help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

First up, yes you can record 8 simultaneous MIDI Channels, you'd just hold Shift and record arm.

Have you programmed or dropped grooves in Pro Tools to trigger the drum machine?

Recording 8 channels of audio simultaneously is dependent on whether, one, the drum machine has 8 audio outputs and secondly, your audio interface has 8 audio inputs.

The same principle applies to external sound modules, like a keyboard or rack module.

filosofem
Old 06-06-2007, 09:20 PM

Quote:
First up, yes you can record 8 simultaneous MIDI Channels, you'd just hold Shift and record arm.

Good, didn't know that!!

Have you programmed or dropped grooves in Pro Tools to trigger the drum machine?

is not a drum machine, its an actual electronic drum kit, you know the whole set.

Recording 8 channels of audio simultaneously is dependent on whether, one, the drum machine has 8 audio outputs and secondly, your audio interface has 8 audio inputs.

yeah I know this, if I was recording audio I wouldn't have any problems,maybe I didn't explained myself well. I want a track for kick,snare,toms etc(midi), then I'll bus the output of the auxs into audio tracks.

filosofem
Old 06-06-2007, 10:03 PM

Default Re: electronic drum kit recording setup(MIDI) help!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
is not a drum machine, its an actual electronic drum kit, you know the whole set.
It might help to know exactly which kit you are using. Those that could help you could give more specific instructions that way.
Quote:
yeah I know this, if I was recording audio I wouldn't have any problems,maybe I didn't explained myself well. I want a track for kick,snare,toms etc(midi), then I'll bus the output of the auxs into audio tracks.
I'm still a little bit confused; what exactly are you putting through the aux tracks? Separate audio outs from the kit?

Also, the only way you're going to be able to track individual kit pieces with separate MIDI tracks is if the kit module is capable of sending each kit piece on a separate MIDI channel.

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Mobile Rig: 2015 MacBook Pro Retina, Apollo Twin, PT12
Old 06-06-2007, 10:15 PM

Quote:
I want a track for kick,snare,toms etc(midi)
Consult your drum brain manual on instrument assignment and then assign the corrsponding channels in Pro Tools.

filosofem
Old 06-13-2007, 12:36 AM

Hi

You would also need to go into your AMS setup and create a device for your "brain" of the drumkit, or similar if you're on Windows. The drum set does act basically like a drum machine as far as this is concerned when assigning ports, MIDI channels, etc.
You have to be able to assign the pads/sounds to separate MIDI channels if you want the 8 separate MIDI channels with one sound/drum per channel. i.e, Kick on channel 1, Snare on channel 2, etc. On your instrument tracks, you would assign the inputs to the drum brain, and the outs to the various MIDI channels. You should then be able to record/quantize the performance, and then bus the audio into seperate tracks. If the brain only has 2 outs, then you can only do 2 tracks at a time, and you will have to mute the channels not being used, or solo the ones you want to record 2 at a time. It may take 4 passes, but so what, at the end of it all you have clean drum tracks that are separated! I want to do this as well. What kit are you using? Good luck, and report back....

Steve