Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Virtual Instruments

Old 09-27-2022, 07:15 PM

Default Re: I have No Presets in Groove Cell, just one drum kit

Uh good, but... two of us here have pointed out things are a bit more complicated.

And it turns out there are two locations to pay attention to

The real factory default location is

C:\ProgramData\Avid\GrooveCell\Presets

Then user customized presets are stored under

C:\Users\<user name>\Documents\Pro Tools\Plug-In Settings\GrooveCell

You probably should check both these have been installed OK. The real default location probably was installed OK but check, that is where the plugin will copy those settings from and put in your personal settings... but I'm not sure if on the first go the installer might also do that.
Old 09-28-2022, 06:10 AM

Yes - all of the presets were in both locations (ProgramData & Documents), but Pro Tools needed them to be in my "real" Documents folder (on a different drive) so nothing worked until I manually copied them over.

This thread will only be useful to someone who has multiple drives and has moved their Documents folder to something other than the C drive.

Thanks for your help!
Old 11-16-2022, 10:44 AM

Hello,

I have the same problem. I have installed GrooveCell but I have no presets under factory default and the folder icon is not clickable.

On my Windows PC I have the factory and Flatpack Kits under:
c:\Users\<user>\Documents\Pro Tools\Pug-In Settings\GrooveCell.
If this path isn't correct, can anyone guide me?

/Teddy
Old 11-19-2022, 04:09 AM

Hi, I also have a big issue with the presets in 'factory' and 'Flatpack Kits'
Can you explain in more detail how I should set up the paths in order to get more than <factory default> in the Preset Dropdown?
I have re-installed several times and I still get the same result, i.e. no presets.

What I can see I have the following paths with .tfx files in the following paths:

c:\ProgramData\Avid\GrooveCell\Flatpack Kits\
c:\ProgramData\Avid\GrooveCell\Presets\factory\Fla tpack Kits\
c:\ProgramData\Avid\GrooveCell\Presets\Flatpack Kits\
c:\Users\All Users\Avid\GrooveCell\Flatpack Kits\
c:\Users\All Users\Avid\GrooveCell\Presets\factory\Flatpack Kits\
c:\Users\All Users\Avid\GrooveCell\Presets\Flatpack Kits\
c:\Users\<MyUser>\Documents\Pro Tools\Plug-In Settings\GrooveCell\factory\Flatpack Kits\
c:\Users\<MyUser>\Documents\Pro Tools\Plug-In Settings\GrooveCell\Flatpack Kits\

/Teddy
Old 11-20-2022, 12:02 AM

I've posted before in this thread about the UI.

I expect you are just not using the plugin interface correctly. Are you familiar with Pro Tools plugin preferences and their funky UI? Have you read the user guide for Groove Cell? There is nothing you should need to do. Just run the plugin installer and then instantiate it on a VI track. Stop looking to move files around.

If you are having problems describe exactly what you are doing. Include screenshots and show exactly what you are clicking on and exactly what you see as a result. Attached screenshots are from a Mac, but it's the same UI. Look very closely at the correct UI behavior for what is showing there. Including how the popup preset navigation tree unintuitively "pulls up" not "pulls down" like almost any other menu UI.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot 2022-11-19 at 11.55.21 PM.jpg (34.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Screenshot 2022-11-19 at 11.54.40 PM.jpg (48.5 KB, 0 views)
Old 03-29-2023, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverEnough View Post
Omg I figured it out!

I have a PC with multiple drives and one of the first things I did was to remap the Documents folder to a drive other than C:

This wasn't an issue for any other PlugIn except 2: GrooveCell & SynthCell. The installation for just these 2 plugins put their settings file on the C: drive, for example:

C:\Users\John\Documents\Pro Tools\Plug-In Settings\GrooveCell

This is where all the *.tfx files are for these 2 plugins, so I just copied them to the "real" Documents location & everything is working fine now!

Check out the attachment.
Yes, there is a problem installing GrooveCell, SynthCell and now PlayCell presets for some users. If you have more than one folder named "Documents", the installer may place the files in the wrong folder. On my Win11 machine, the correct folder is C:\Users\"usename"\Documents\Pro Tools\Plug-In Settings. I moved the Preset folders from the wrong folder to this one, then all the presets were available in the drop-downs that Darryl mentioned in his posts. Prior to moving these folders to the correct "Documents" folder, I only saw <Factory Default> in the plug-in UI drop-downs.
Old 08-22-2023, 01:39 PM

When i click on folder icon it's just totally inactive. I can only get factory default drum kit. Been stuck on this for hours. So frustrating it's driving me bonkers.
Old 08-22-2023, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louise Collins View Post
When i click on folder icon it's just totally inactive. I can only get factory default drum kit. Been stuck on this for hours. So frustrating it's driving me bonkers.
Hi Louise

Welcome to DUC.

There is multiple posts in this thread that talk about details of problems or suspected problems that you should try to work though, but I'll spell that out again.

Are you are seeing the <factory default> menu item and when you click on that you see a folder icon appear above it. If you then move the mouse over that folder icon you should see a menu pop out the right side. You should not have to click on the folder icon to see the menu appear. And if that's not working then your system has setup problems. I'm repeating these painful details because these Pro Tools plugin menus are just ass backwards/upside down and do trip up new users. e.g. folks think the folder icon is a label and don't roll the mouse over it... sounds like you are ... and trying to click on it.

If there is absolutely no side menu appearing then what do you have at

and

See nsureit's comments in the post right before yours in case the same thing applies to you.

If still stuck try searching your entire PC, for .tfx files. e.g. in Windows CMD shell with

C:> dir /s c:\*.tfx

(Here C:> is the CMD command prompt, yours may be different. Only type the rest of the line after the prompt and hit enter).

If you find those files and they look like the GrooveCell files move them like nsureit did. I'd tell you some exact file names if my Windows PC was not.... frozen trying to install a Windows update. !@#$%$^%&%*()

(you might try other drive letters besides c: as well if you have any on that PC).
Old 08-23-2023, 12:27 AM

OK you should the following in your personal factory folder. If you can't find it look for those names in other places.

"C:\Users\<name>\Documents\Pro Tools\Plug-In Settings\GrooveCell\factory\Flatpack Kits"
"C:\Users\<name>\Documents\Pro Tools\Plug-In Settings\GrooveCell\factory\Happy Halloween"
"C:\Users\<name>\Documents\Pro Tools\Plug-In Settings\GrooveCell\factory\3 Comp Kit.tfx"
"C:\Users\<name>\Documents\Pro Tools\Plug-In Settings\GrooveCell\factory\90s Street Kit.tfx"
"C:\Users\<name>\Documents\Pro Tools\Plug-In Settings\GrooveCell\factory\Divine Inspiration Kit.tfx"
"C:\Users\<name>\Documents\Pro Tools\Plug-In Settings\GrooveCell\factory\Getting Started Kit.tfx"
"C:\Users\<name>\Documents\Pro Tools\Plug-In Settings\GrooveCell\factory\Grainhammer Kit.tfx"
"C:\Users\<name>\Documents\Pro Tools\Plug-In Settings\GrooveCell\factory\H90 Hard 909.tfx"
"C:\Users\<name>\Documents\Pro Tools\Plug-In Settings\GrooveCell\factory\H90 Ultra 808.tfx"
"C:\Users\<name>\Documents\Pro Tools\Plug-In Settings\GrooveCell\factory\Heavenly Crunch Kit.tfx"
"C:\Users\<name>\Documents\Pro Tools\Plug-In Settings\GrooveCell\factory\Hiidra Kit.tfx"
"C:\Users\<name>\Documents\Pro Tools\Plug-In Settings\GrooveCell\factory\Industrial Kit.tfx"
"C:\Users\<name>\Documents\Pro Tools\Plug-In Settings\GrooveCell\factory\MD Kit.tfx"
"C:\Users\<name>\Documents\Pro Tools\Plug-In Settings\GrooveCell\factory\Modular Percussion Kit.tfx"
"C:\Users\<name>\Documents\Pro Tools\Plug-In Settings\GrooveCell\factory\PI Kit.tfx"
"C:\Users\<name>\Documents\Pro Tools\Plug-In Settings\GrooveCell\factory\Rob's Basement Kit.tfx"
"C:\Users\<name>\Documents\Pro Tools\Plug-In Settings\GrooveCell\factory\Synthesized Cinematic Percussion Kit.tfx"
"C:\Users\<name>\Documents\Pro Tools\Plug-In Settings\GrooveCell\factory\Toy Box Kit.tfx"
"C:\Users\<name>\Documents\Pro Tools\Plug-In Settings\GrooveCell\factory\Wavy Wayne Kit.tfx"
"C:\Users\<name>\Documents\Pro Tools\Plug-In Settings\GrooveCell\factory\Flatpack Kits"
"C:\Users\<name>\Documents\Pro Tools\Plug-In Settings\GrooveCell\factory\Happy Halloween"
"C:\Users\<name>\Documents\Pro Tools\Plug-In Settings\GrooveCell\factory\3 Comp Kit.tfx"
"C:\Users\<name>\Documents\Pro Tools\Plug-In Settings\GrooveCell\factory\90s Street Kit.tfx"
"C:\Users\<name>\Documents\Pro Tools\Plug-In Settings\GrooveCell\factory\Divine Inspiration Kit.tfx"
"C:\Users\<name>\Documents\Pro Tools\Plug-In Settings\GrooveCell\factory\Getting Started Kit.tfx"
"C:\Users\<name>\Documents\Pro Tools\Plug-In Settings\GrooveCell\factory\Grainhammer Kit.tfx"
"C:\Users\<name>\Documents\Pro Tools\Plug-In Settings\GrooveCell\factory\H90 Hard 909.tfx"

I am going to *guess* that some problems might happen if you are using Microsoft OneDrive or maybe just have the OneDrive folders still in your home directory. Do you?
Old 08-23-2023, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
Hi Louise

Welcome to DUC.

There is multiple posts in this thread that talk about details of problems or suspected problems that you should try to work though, but I'll spell that out again.

Are you are seeing the <factory default> menu item and when you click on that you see a folder icon appear above it. If you then move the mouse over that folder icon you should see a menu pop out the right side. You should not have to click on the folder icon to see the menu appear. And if that's not working then your system has setup problems. I'm repeating these painful details because these Pro Tools plugin menus are just ass backwards/upside down and do trip up new users. e.g. folks think the folder icon is a label and don't roll the mouse over it... sounds like you are ... and trying to click on it.

If there is absolutely no side menu appearing then what do you have at

and

See nsureit's comments in the post right before yours in case the same thing applies to you.

If still stuck try searching your entire PC, for .tfx files. e.g. in Windows CMD shell with

C:> dir /s c:\*.tfx

(Here C:> is the CMD command prompt, yours may be different. Only type the rest of the line after the prompt and hit enter).

If you find those files and they look like the GrooveCell files move them like nsureit did. I'd tell you some exact file names if my Windows PC was not.... frozen trying to install a Windows update. !@#$%$^%&%*()

(you might try other drive letters besides c: as well if you have any on that PC).

Yeh im a musician not an IT technician never had this problem with my other DAW i might just uninstall