Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-24-2017, 10:23 PM

Default Re: Switching Audio Interfaces in PT, for recording a multipac mixer then switching b

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNM View Post
It will only overcome the limit when using HD hardware.. It will always be 32 ins for core audio no matter what. Avid purposely imposed this limitation as no other major daw has it, to sell their hardware. And believe me, i considered it. I looked at antelope audio going into PT HD native.. with the goliath i could do 64 ins all in one interface, all my outboard gear permanently ready to record at any time.. but it's 11K for the interface here in AU and 5+K for hd native. Um.. no.

Once again, is pro tools able to switch interface hardware during a project without causing major issues?

If nobody knows I will find out myself or just re join my avid support plan and ask them.

I have absolutely no idea how such a clearly articulated question got so misunderstood.

I'll try make it simpler.. I do not want any workarounds or alternatives..

I am simply asking if i can do what i actually *asked*..

If ANYBODY knows, please share your results with me, I would appreciate it.

1) "what happens, if in pro tools preferences, during an active project, i switch my interface over to another one to record it, then switch back?" daryl answered this - pro tools closes and reopens .. not seemless ..

2) "I have absolutely no idea how such a clearly articulated question got so misunderstood" .. ""Once again, is pro tools able to switch interface hardware during a project without causing major issues?"

what major issues are you referring to, exactly ?? can you spell out what you know or have read or heard these issues are ?? i assume you are not asking this without some reference .. right !!!! a horror story or ??, sorry, but we have no idea without some clarity .. it might seem to you that it is clear, but obviously it is not coming across to others that way ..

3) seems like you already know all about this 32 track limitation and related things .. PTHD, i still work with clients that use PTHD software and hardware together - and yes, they did Limit this .. they can do whatever they like whether we like it or not .. i stopped comparing PT to other DAW's .. too much trouble - as there will always be differences IMHO .. if one DAW does not work for the job, i use another .. might be time to look elsewhere (cubase, nuendo, studio one, Logic, and the list goes on) .. if you like pro tools then .. well, if you make money doing this then the investment will pay for itself .. but i hear ya on a good chuck of cash for HD and the hardware .. i had Digi/Avid hardware for many years from PTIII on up to HD, stopped going that route myself ..

4) 3rd party hardware that emulates Avid Hardware .. this will get by the limit but expensive too ..

try not to get to perturbed with us, just trying to get everything clear so you Can Get some solid answers ..

standing by for more info on Major Issues ..

cheers john

Macbook Pro july 2014 2.5ghz 16gb ram 512gb SSD - OS11.6.5 - PT 2021.3
Logic Pro X 10.7.4
RME BabyFace Pro
Old 08-24-2017, 11:07 PM

Default Re: Switching Audio Interfaces in PT, for recording a multipac mixer then switching b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
There is no clearly articulated question here, there is a bunch of rambling where it's particularly hard to work out how much understand about Pro Tools concepts, like how IO happens/is mapped to labels etc.

Of course you can switch interfaces--and the Pro Tools session will restart and you will need to deal with the IO being different.

It is not that people don't know what happenes if you switch IO, lots of folks here do that all the time. I'm more lost what you think will happen with IO. Input, output and bus IO names are meaningless strings, you can map whatever names you want to physical IO port numbers. When you switch interfaces you normally want all that to change with the interface and it will.

What you expect/want to happen I have no idea.

I am also lost why you just don't just play with this. You already own multiple interfaces so just try switching between them and playing with IO setups.

And a much more reasonable and clear question would have been "I know folks switch interfaces all the time working with sessions but I don't understand how to do this, can somebody point to a place I can learn more....". Then we could just point you to this http://www.avidblogs.com/how-to-use-...-pro-tools-12/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
nope, rude person. I KNOW exactly how to do it, i am asking if it will cause issues. If you think that's rambling and incoherent, i suggest some supplemental school lessons. You are going to be rude? So am i then.

Muted.

Last edited by TNM; 08-24-2017 at 11:23 PM.
Old 08-24-2017, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john1192 View Post
1) "what happens, if in pro tools preferences, during an active project, i switch my interface over to another one to record it, then switch back?" daryl answered this - pro tools closes and reopens .. not seemless ..

2) "I have absolutely no idea how such a clearly articulated question got so misunderstood" .. ""Once again, is pro tools able to switch interface hardware during a project without causing major issues?"

what major issues are you referring to, exactly ?? can you spell out what you know or have read or heard these issues are ?? i assume you are not asking this without some reference .. right !!!! a horror story or ??, sorry, but we have no idea without some clarity .. it might seem to you that it is clear, but obviously it is not coming across to others that way ..

3) seems like you already know all about this 32 track limitation and related things .. PTHD, i still work with clients that use PTHD software and hardware together - and yes, they did Limit this .. they can do whatever they like whether we like it or not .. i stopped comparing PT to other DAW's .. too much trouble - as there will always be differences IMHO .. if one DAW does not work for the job, i use another .. might be time to look elsewhere (cubase, nuendo, studio one, Logic, and the list goes on) .. if you like pro tools then .. well, if you make money doing this then the investment will pay for itself .. but i hear ya on a good chuck of cash for HD and the hardware .. i had Digi/Avid hardware for many years from PTIII on up to HD, stopped going that route myself ..

4) 3rd party hardware that emulates Avid Hardware .. this will get by the limit but expensive too ..

try not to get to perturbed with us, just trying to get everything clear so you Can Get some solid answers ..

standing by for more info on Major Issues ..

cheers john
I am not with YOU John, you are trying, and i always appreciate help. THANK YOU.

1) closing and reopening is not ideal, however it is still 100x more efficient than having to record the mixer tracks one by one though a stereo input in the apollo

2) I would imagine things like error messages coming up, cause pro tools might look for the previously assigned interface outs and ins that the project was using. If i have to go through them one by one every time i want to change interface, and reasign them all, that would drive me crazy. I guess this is the biggest thing I was worried about.

What i hoped i could do is this:
-change interface from apollo to usb mixer, pro tools restarts
- go to hardware preferences and let pro tools repopulate everything correctly by deleting the current settings blank then hitting the relevant button to do so
- Arm 22 audio tracks and record into them from the mixer.
- All my other midi tracks, instruments tracks, and audio tracks will play perfectly as they did before, and pro tools won't chuck a "missing audio device" message for the 26 apollo inputs one by one.
- Save project with newly recorded audio
- Change back once recorded, to the apollo again.
- I would presume i'd have to delete and repopulate the audio paths again. This is just one click with the apollos as i have my PT settings permanently saved in the console in PT mode.
- I can continue my project as normal, including my main monitor out being automatically reassigned to the apollo masters, and the NEWLY recorded audio tracks not chucking a fit now and asking me where the soundcraft is.

The end.

This is how it would work in most DAW's but Logic can have issues doing this which is why I simply asked. All my old logic projects i did with a different interface on PC are not fun to re set up on mac with my apollos.

3) Yes i really have tried to stop comparing it too, and avid are trying, but it is still so far behind in so many ways. As i have explained before, only reaper, studio one and pro tools can keep automation in time when using a large amount of UAD plugins, therefore latent plugins, and lots of pdc everywhere.
Cubase and Logic are completely out of time, as is live, but live is also out visually, and any tempo synced effects are completely out of time.

It was worth it to me, to lose features just to have the rock solid timing.

Sometimes i get frustrated and complain like i just did to the other guy above, who i should have just put on ignore instead of getting baited, but ultimately i do love the PT DAW and am used to it now.

4) The 3rd party hardware that can work with HD (as long as you have minimum HD native for it to interface too), is as expensive as avid hardware.. If i was going to go all out, i honestly would take a bank loan, get an avid HDX2 system, and official avid hardware to the tune of 64 analog ins ( i guess 4x 16x16 i/o).

cheers and thanks again John, sorry if i sounded frustrated at YOU!
Old 08-24-2017, 11:30 PM

You know, thinking about it, i got my apollo's so cheap and they are SO expensive in australia, i'd probably not lose any money.

I am seriously considering just spending 20 grand instead of getting myself wheels i have been saving for, and getting even maybe just a HDX1 system and that 11 grand goliath HD audio interface, as that can do 64 analog INS in realtime with just one HD card (32 ins with each digilink port).

The kicker is, it has UAD style realtime fx monitoring that is sample accurate when recording in PT. I'd not need to monitor through the DAW. It has guitar amps, comps, EQ's and a verb, although i'd like to see a chorus and delay, but everything else it has. And i'd only need ONE hd card, it even works with HD native thunderbolt. And that would have no noisy fans. Something to think of, and i get the HD software benefits.

I'll do a search on some latency figures I want to know about, and see what i can find out, and perhaps start a new HD/HDX question topic, which would end my problems if i invested in it.
Old 08-25-2017, 04:32 AM

Quote:
goliath HD audio interface, as that can do 64 analog INS in realtime with just one HD card (32 ins with each digilink port).
Just an FYI, those plugs aren't remotely in the same league as UA's.

I've heard direct comparisons and they don't hold a candle to UA. Also, in order to use them while mixing, you have to manually route the signal from and to your DAW in their app. It's horrible.

Watch here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fz7ZWs84OuY

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 08-25-2017, 06:16 AM

no worries my friend .. thx for spelling this out more

1) agreed, not ideal and and cumbersome

2) I copy all that .. could be a workflow killer .. Q: is this a test you could try with current system, bouncing between Apollos and USB - while typing this i could not get ot the original post - i cannot remember if you have all the needed devices at this time .. and if you do just disregard this comment ..

3) good points concerning other DAW"s and yeah, as much as i gripe i do like Pro Tools over the other options out there .. !!!

4) yeah, we could be Car Mechanics and need some Diagnostic tool that costs 10's of thousands of dollars and nets out to adding 5 dollars to the Bill - haha !!! sounds like you need a pretty solid & extensive system ..

i saw your next posting about the Goliath, and i think Drew might have a great point on the quality of the PLugs .. if you would only be using them as reference during tracking then might be fine .. i have been playing a bit at a studio that has the Apollos and it is pretty damn cool !!! almost want to get rid of my Neve's and other Pres .. almost !!!

like i mentioned, i think you have a really good handle on what you are trying to accompish, and thx for trying to get and keep us up to speed !!!

cheers john

Quote:
I am not with YOU John, you are trying, and i always appreciate help. THANK YOU.

1) closing and reopening is not ideal, however it is still 100x more efficient than having to record the mixer tracks one by one though a stereo input in the apollo

2) I would imagine things like error messages coming up, cause pro tools might look for the previously assigned interface outs and ins that the project was using. If i have to go through them one by one every time i want to change interface, and reasign them all, that would drive me crazy. I guess this is the biggest thing I was worried about.

What i hoped i could do is this:
-change interface from apollo to usb mixer, pro tools restarts
- go to hardware preferences and let pro tools repopulate everything correctly by deleting the current settings blank then hitting the relevant button to do so
- Arm 22 audio tracks and record into them from the mixer.
- All my other midi tracks, instruments tracks, and audio tracks will play perfectly as they did before, and pro tools won't chuck a "missing audio device" message for the 26 apollo inputs one by one.
- Save project with newly recorded audio
- Change back once recorded, to the apollo again.
- I would presume i'd have to delete and repopulate the audio paths again. This is just one click with the apollos as i have my PT settings permanently saved in the console in PT mode.
- I can continue my project as normal, including my main monitor out being automatically reassigned to the apollo masters, and the NEWLY recorded audio tracks not chucking a fit now and asking me where the soundcraft is.

The end.

This is how it would work in most DAW's but Logic can have issues doing this which is why I simply asked. All my old logic projects i did with a different interface on PC are not fun to re set up on mac with my apollos.

3) Yes i really have tried to stop comparing it too, and avid are trying, but it is still so far behind in so many ways. As i have explained before, only reaper, studio one and pro tools can keep automation in time when using a large amount of UAD plugins, therefore latent plugins, and lots of pdc everywhere.
Cubase and Logic are completely out of time, as is live, but live is also out visually, and any tempo synced effects are completely out of time.

It was worth it to me, to lose features just to have the rock solid timing.

Sometimes i get frustrated and complain like i just did to the other guy above, who i should have just put on ignore instead of getting baited, but ultimately i do love the PT DAW and am used to it now.

4) The 3rd party hardware that can work with HD (as long as you have minimum HD native for it to interface too), is as expensive as avid hardware.. If i was going to go all out, i honestly would take a bank loan, get an avid HDX2 system, and official avid hardware to the tune of 64 analog ins ( i guess 4x 16x16 i/o).

cheers and thanks again John, sorry if i sounded frustrated at YOU!

Macbook Pro july 2014 2.5ghz 16gb ram 512gb SSD - OS11.6.5 - PT 2021.3
Logic Pro X 10.7.4
RME BabyFace Pro
Old 08-25-2017, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Mazurek View Post
Just an FYI, those plugs aren't remotely in the same league as UA's.

I've heard direct comparisons and they don't hold a candle to UA. Also, in order to use them while mixing, you have to manually route the signal from and to your DAW in their app. It's horrible.

Watch here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fz7ZWs84OuY
Thanks for the heads up, that's awesome to know.

However, just to clarify something.. I had no need to use them when mixing.. I just wanted a touch of compression or eq here or there for tracking, and a monitoring verb.

I am *keeping* my satellite UAD octo no matter what, for mixing :) I can still use all my plugins as aax in pro tools, i would be mortified to let such a huge expense go to waste as i'd never get m $$$ back for them.

All i want is something where i can monitor as close to real time as possible, with FX.

perhaps HDX is an option then, a single card system can still do 64 in, right? I just need enough I/O which will be expensive..i do have 16 adats worth here, so i'd need 48 more from avid (all analog is what i require).

As said i don't need outs, just a master monitor out.

I've started another topic about HDX latency, so if that one doesn't get answered, i might come back and ask you Drew since you obviously know about these things.

Thanks again and sorry for being snippy before. It's really not my style.
Old 08-25-2017, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john1192 View Post
no worries my friend .. thx for spelling this out more

1) agreed, not ideal and and cumbersome

2) I copy all that .. could be a workflow killer .. Q: is this a test you could try with current system, bouncing between Apollos and USB - while typing this i could not get ot the original post - i cannot remember if you have all the needed devices at this time .. and if you do just disregard this comment ..

3) good points concerning other DAW"s and yeah, as much as i gripe i do like Pro Tools over the other options out there .. !!!

4) yeah, we could be Car Mechanics and need some Diagnostic tool that costs 10's of thousands of dollars and nets out to adding 5 dollars to the Bill - haha !!! sounds like you need a pretty solid & extensive system ..

i saw your next posting about the Goliath, and i think Drew might have a great point on the quality of the PLugs .. if you would only be using them as reference during tracking then might be fine .. i have been playing a bit at a studio that has the Apollos and it is pretty damn cool !!! almost want to get rid of my Neve's and other Pres .. almost !!!

like i mentioned, i think you have a really good handle on what you are trying to accompish, and thx for trying to get and keep us up to speed !!!

cheers john
No i don't have the needed devices.. i do have an mbox 3 that i bought 18 months back just to use when on the go and using only software synths, however i never ended up using it and it's actually sealed still.. So if i open it it becomes used and harder to sell. I keep forgetting to put it here or ebay lol.

So technically i could test it between apollo and mbox 3.
but i'd really love to avoid that if possible, hence the topic.

I was really hoping someone had experience of shifting between multi i/o interfaces during a session, and what sort of error messages if any, pro tools spat out, and whether it was smart enough to just work or if the user had to reassign everything one by one.

I will be patient, someone has to know!
Old 08-25-2017, 10:03 AM

Default Switching Audio Interfaces in PT, for recording a multipac mixer then switching back?

Quote:
No i don't have the needed devices..

You started this thread by saying you have an Apollo 8 and an Apollo Twin Duo... why can't you just try switching playback engines with those interfaces sitting right in front of you.

Lots of stuff here just does not make sense. The worry about needing so much IO... for what? a solo composer with a pile of keyboards/synths? If so plug in the one you are tracking at any time. Lots of complaints about cost and budget worries, including the enormous cost of opening an old Mbox package, yet you are talking about buying a HDX system. This does not make sense.

Again, *we* know what happens when you switch interfaces on a session. You need to go play and learn for yourself and work out how things will work in your workflow.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 08-25-2017, 11:23 PM

excuse me, did i hear a duck fart? Is he still replying here is he? No doubt more attacks and nastiness, he probably thinks i'll see it too. LOL.