How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12

Old 02-20-2015, 05:11 PM

Default Re: A Modest Proposal, to the Pro Tools Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostwriter View Post
I feel we should keep offering support on the DUC, so user's DON'T have to sign up for a support plan. Many will be locking their systems at 11 or 12 and I feel we should be here to help them. Otherwise we are encouraging users to buy into Avid's plan. I cannot be a part of that in good conscience.
+1
Old 02-20-2015, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCBigler View Post
Real computers will remain the primary tool of people that actually work for a living in many, many different fields for at least the next 100 years.
I also heard you'll never need more than 64k of memory...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Park Seward View Post
Yes, Avid is asking all bug reporters to file the bugs on ideascape so they can be viewed and listed in that data base. I've also recommended that Avid list the bugs they find do we know what they are working on.

Avid recommends reporting how the bug happens so they can duplicate the issue.
All my bugs happen when I use Pro Tools...
Mac Pro 6.1, E5-2690 V2 10 core 3.0G, 32gig 1866 memory, 512G PCIe system drive, 4 480G OWC 3G SSD data drives in Thunderbolt 2 enclosure, macOS 10.15.7, Pro Tools Ultimate 2020.9.1, Twin Raven MTi's, Apollo 8 TB, 2 UAD2 Satellite Octo Thunderbolt, RME ADI-4 DD, Neve 5012, 5043, Bricasti M7, 2 PCM 92's, M350, DynAudio BM6 MK 3, BM14S, a bunch of cool mics...1 damned iLok2.
Old 02-20-2015, 10:52 PM

I would pay a premium if they would stop Bill from posting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYR123 View Post
Besides all that ^^

I had at one time assumed they would charge a premium for access to the DUC, and that would be part of the support plan, as a added benefit.

No support plan, then off to GS or FB for you

I hope not but who knows
Old 02-21-2015, 05:24 AM

The moderators that doesn't work for Avid, like myself (I left the company 2 years ago), are doing this for free, because we believe we can help other users with their issues, while sharing experience, when we can.

This is a kind of romantic way of thinking, sharing the knowledge and empowering the learning process, knowledge is power and sharing the power is good (personally I think that Job Security thing is nothing but bullsh*t).

I still believe we should keep doing this, at least I will, because I enjoy it.

Cheers!
http://felipousismix.wix.com/felipousismix

Open Core Mac Pro OSX Ventura | ProTools HD 2023.x | Merging HAPI ADA8 | UAD Quad PCIe | Kali IN-8 | Presonus Temblor 10 | Softube, SSL, Universal Audio, Slate Digital, McDSP, Fabfilter, Plugin Alliance among other plugins
Old 02-21-2015, 06:57 AM

Well said Felipe

Why would we ever think of punishing the users who need help because some have issues with Avid ...

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 02-21-2015, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCBigler View Post
...Real computers will remain the primary tool of people that actually work for a living in many, many different fields for at least the next 100 years.
I have serious doubts about that. Dedicated devices make way more sense from a standpoint of reliability, speed and security for both developer and user than Swiss Army Knife computers. As hardware prices plummet, the cost advantage of Swiss Army Knife computers is going away in a hurry.
Old 02-22-2015, 04:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Olhsson View Post
I have serious doubts about that. Dedicated devices make way more sense from a standpoint of reliability, speed and security for both developer and user than Swiss Army Knife computers. As hardware prices plummet, the cost advantage of Swiss Army Knife computers is going away in a hurry.
2 Years ago, I had a Mac Pro 8 Core with a PTHD 3 System. The MP had 2 graphic cards to be able to really handle 2 large displays.

At that time, I purchased a rMBP for my personal use. It had a 512GB SSD and two thunderbolt ports. In a session, maxing out my studio rig using both the DSP on the HD cards and the internal CPU (RTAS) on the Mac I decided, for giggles, to load up that session on the rMBP. It opened swiftly which amazed me, but I thought that would be due to the fast SSD. Hitting the spacebar, I was thinking that nothing would happen..... What happened was that the little big guy (rMBP) began playing back as if nothing was passing a load on its CPU. So -- I opened the CPU Meter... Since that moment, I needed a facelift, as my jaws dropped so heavily as my eyes caught the CPU meter which never surpassed 20%...

The next day, I did lots of tests. Bought a thunderbolt RAID enclosure and in that seated all my drives. The next day, eBay was featuring my Mac Pro and my HD3 system.... new price - $+20k -- Replace by a silly looking rMBP with a thunderbold cable...

Oh - I almost forgot... The rMBP runs, incl. its own display, 3 additional displays on top. So I had / have the luxury of 4 displays.

In the meantime, I bought a 2014 rMBP with 1TB SSD. And dumped the TB RAID. So I am lightweightedly underway with a tiny computer that does all that what a huge PT rig does... That would have been unthinkable 6 years ago.

100 years from now, I seriously doubt that we'll even need a display to work with.... Let alone a hardware to enclose a CPU. I also doubt that at that time, Wikipedia will even have an article about a Lap top or a hard drive. Perhaps in the WikiVeterans section. Who knows...

Things are changing drastically, for good or bad, whether we like it or not... But they ARE changing...

I work from home, office and Studio. AT home I work in all rooms, from kitchen to sleeping room. Whereever I feel like. WHY should I chain myself to ONE seat in one room if I can use 20 seats or couches in 20 rooms...

The idea of a desktop computer sitting and confining the operator to a static DESK is OLD, VOID and extremely LIMITING ! And if one goes a bit deeper, the INVERSE of the term FREEDOM !
Old 02-22-2015, 05:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 25ghosts View Post

100 years from now, I seriously doubt that we'll even need a display to work with....
We'll just "see" the screen in our minds and get support telepathically.
When the system goes down, we go to the hospital!
Old 02-22-2015, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockridge View Post
We'll just "see" the screen in our minds and get support telepathically.
When the system goes down, we go to the hospital!
No - we'll get the signal projected to our pupil via bundled light. Or wear a contact-like lens. The reason we need big screens today is so that we can see more... A 3inch screen is as big as a 30inch screen if you move it close enough to the eye or use oculars to enlarge it.

In case of bundled light, motion trackers will track and anticipate eye-movement and thus always project the light (Computer output) where we want/need it...

Who knows.. Perhaps in 100 years from now we have cameras installed underneath the skin which connect directly to the optical neve.... Cameras aren't subject to fatigue. Eyes are. Why use the eyes to see if we can hijack the optical nerve and feed it with impulses from a lens....

Wearables aren't something Apple invented with the Apple Watch. Vietnam Soldiers wore chips in their shoulders going to war in the 60'ies... Some knowingly some NOT !
Dogs have chip-implants injected within the first 8 weeks of birth.. Who knows what we humans ALREADY carry within us.... Without even knowing about it ;-)
My Bernese Mountain Dog has a chip in his shoulder (LAW in Germany) --- He gets scanned when he goes to the vet. He is happy, alive and in great health !
Old 02-22-2015, 06:12 AM

LOL ---||---

Can't wait for my new Apple iEye

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————