How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12

Old 02-11-2015, 12:28 PM

Default Re: Please Avid We All Really Want You to Be Successful

Dear Dave,

this roll out IS a complete mess.

The ONLY reason you are giving me is that my PT will not be upgradable anymore if I don't get on board and pay you for NOTHING I WANT!

As a result, your customers are YELLING at you all over the internet.

THIS UPDATE IS THE BIGGEST MESS I HAVE EVER SEEN IN AUDIO.

(and I have been an audio post professional for 15 years now)

ADMIT IT, RELEASE IMPROVEMENTS PEOPLE WANT AND LET THEM DECIDE IF AND WHEN THEY WANT IT!

Oh BOY, it was a mess until now.
Now, that I have read your "no, it's not" I have lost my last faith in any reason at AVOID.

Good bye
Old 02-11-2015, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David C Avid View Post
Hi there Froyo

If you let your plan lapse, you will have two options to get access to the latest version of Pro Tools:
  • Subscribe to Pro Tools software on a monthly or annual basis (that can be 'restarted' at any time at the monthly or yearly price)
  • Purchase a new Pro Tools perpetual license (full product) that includes an annual upgrade and support plan
Dave
This is why you will lose me and many many others as a customer.
Old 02-11-2015, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Hi there froyo

If you let your plan lapse, you will have two options to get access to the latest version of Pro Tools:
  • Subscribe to Pro Tools software on a monthly or annual basis (that can be 'restarted' at any time at the monthly or yearly price)
  • Purchase a new Pro Tools perpetual license (full product) that includes an annual upgrade and support plan
Dave
Hello. Well Dave see this is where some of the confusion has come in. Initially there was some thought that really there would be three ways to own Pro Tools. A perpetual license, a support plan and a subscription. And technically that is the case isn't it, because Person A could buy a perpetual license and let the support plan lapse, Person B could be a Pro Tools 11 owner who signs up to the support plan and never lets the support plan lapse and Person C could be on a subscription plan. So in reality those three people own Pro Tools with a perpetual license, a support plan and a subscription.

But what you're saying is that if any of the those three different people let their current method lapse, the only way to get back on the horse will be to subscribe or buy a perpetual license. In other words, the user who was on a support plan method will have to choose to either subscribe or buy a new perpetual license.

It would be ideal if there was an option to buy a support plan for $200 (regular) or $500 (HD) plus $150 as an administrative fee or something like that. There are many people that do not like to subscribe to software and forcing them to pony up full price for a new perpetual license is not quite as palatable as renewing a support plan.

Hopefully this is something that can be considered as an option in the future.
Old 02-11-2015, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Hi there WKG,

There have been other questions about Pro Tools HD, which of course is not sold separately (only bundled with an HD system). We are still in the process of finalizing this and will be sharing details about this well in advance of the Dec 31, 2015 deadline to purchase an Upgrade Plan for Pro Tools HD.
Thanks for the response. There are many who ended up with an HD license when the Complete Production Toolkit (CPTK) was dropped when Pro Tools went 64 bit with 11. CPTK was a simple feature unlock only for standard PT and the increase in cost required to retain those simple features, already paid for, was unexpected and very unwelcome. That thread, stickied at the top of the Pro Tool 11 forum section, shows over 38,000 views.

Please do not dead end these people or force them into another overpriced path to retain the functionality they paid for and depend on.
RME, Daking, Heritage, ISA, Sytek

Old 02-11-2015, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Plus…. Not to mention the Support component that comes with the plan. This annual plan provides all future Pro Tools updates, upgrades, and expert help for one year from the time of activation. That’s worth way more than $199!
What's wrong with all you whiners?

He says it worth way more than $199 (with an exclamation point).

An exclamation point!
Retro 176 (pair), Pultec EQP-1A (pair), Germanium Comps (pair), BAE 10DC (pair), Distressor (pair), Manley Vari-Mu, Sta-Level, Zener, SSL Fusion, SSL FX G384, API 2500, LA2A, 1176, Bricasti, Massive Passive, Anamod ATS-1, Eventide H3500, TC 2290, Yamaha D5000, PCM92, PCM70... Amps, Amps & More Amps.
Old 02-11-2015, 04:07 PM

Quote:
There have been other questions about Pro Tools HD, which of course is not sold separately (only bundled with an HD system). We are still in the process of finalizing this and will be sharing details about this well in advance of the Dec 31, 2015 deadline to purchase an Upgrade Plan for Pro Tools HD.
I'm glad the HD question was addressed.
Old 02-11-2015, 04:45 PM

Do not want to pay annually for 'support' I don't need or want.
Initial releases generally stink and should be avoided, PT11 was a real stinker (kinda still is)
Don't have time or inclination to be a beta testing customer.
I upgraded a bunch of licenses to PT11 late last year and none of them are being used. Nobody here will use PT11. Maybe the only use for PT right now might be deliverables using offline bounce but again not sure if it's reliable...
You can't be successful if you p%&!_off your clients.
Old 02-11-2015, 04:49 PM

Quote:
. Not to mention the Support component that comes with the plan.

This is what I don't see value in......absolutely none.

I'm not being sarcastic either, I honestly don't. Zero value whatsoever
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 02-11-2015, 04:58 PM

It's clear that they simply don't have the plan figured out yet for HD licenses. That's not disregarding customers, although it is not what I wanted to hear.
Old 02-11-2015, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Hi there Froyo

Dave
Hi Dave,

I don't personally have a problem with the subscription/support plan if properly implemented and personally plan to move forward. But I *am* confused. I bought HD9 in the VERY early days when you could buy it from dealers along with HD Native and other hardware as a package. I've since updated to HD10 and then HD11 the day they were announced/available. So I *think* as an HD11 license owner I am current and therefore 'unexpired'. Can you confirm?

The one major complaint I do have is that I paid to upgrade to HD11 a *long* time ago (8/9/2013). Only recently has it been even remotely useful (as 9/10 were). While I accept that things like this sometimes happen, I am concerned that I will be charged excessively to upgrade from software that I couldn't or in some cases still can't use as one would expect.

It seems to me that Avid believes that since I've owned HD11 for so long that I have received plenty of value. And unfortunately, that is simply not the case.

So it now appears that I will likely (once again) have to upgrade and hope that HD12 is more immediately useful than HD11. I hope you are able to understand my concern. Having said all this I remain hopeful that the work done to get this far with 64 bit etc. will prove to be an efficient development base that was described early on.

And I *sincerely* wish Avid the best.