Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Licensing & Accounts

Old 12-01-2021, 05:27 PM

Default Re: Is Avid including HEAT and Complete Plugin Bundle for perpetual users?

^ from what I heard Avid is going to respect that purchase so long as you have not activated your code. What I do not know is, if you buy from avid.com whether the code is activated immediately or can be saved for later. You better ask.
Old 12-01-2021, 05:37 PM

Default Re: Is Avid including HEAT and Complete Plugin Bundle for perpetual users?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
^ from what I heard Avid is going to respect that purchase so long as you have not activated your code. What I do not know is, if you buy from avid.com whether the code is activated immediately or can be saved for later. You better ask.
Thanks. All it says in the FAQ linked in the announcement is if you buy from a reseller you 'redeem your code' to activate it, but if you buy it on Avid.com it looks like it will be activated immediately.
I'll check it out w/support first.
Old 12-01-2021, 09:45 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools reinstatements

That's a very good sign. Please Avid bring back reinstatement plan for ever. Knowing that your are covered would bring back my trust in Avid.
Old 12-02-2021, 02:06 AM

Quote:
I previously bought an Ultimate Reinstatement from Avid to use sometime in the future. I didn’t intend to use it straight away, as there was no time limit to redeem or activate it – and this still applies today.

However, by mistake, redemption/activation happened automatically when my Reinstatement was deposited in my Avid account by the Avid Store, at the time of purchase. This has since been fixed and the FAQ has since been updated.

Possibly, by now, one can buy a Reinstatement Code from the Avid Store to use in the future. Hopefully, jeffro or Ben’s CS rep can clarify this.
Otherwise, it’s immediate activation/redemption when Avid Store adds the Reinstatement to one’s Avid Master Account.

That’s why I said:
“Buy from a Reseller and get a Code to redeem in the future, if you don’t want to activate your Reinstatement immediately.”

Hope this helps!
Old 12-02-2021, 02:52 AM

Quote:
Avid marketing is in a no-win situation, but I still like it more than Adobe's where they moved to subscription-only which made them lose me as a customer. So now they (Avid) need to balance between subscription customers and support plan customers.
Yes it's better than Adobe, but I don't think it's a "no win" situation. Here's how to magically make it win-win - keep reinstatement permanently.

Having to second guess when they might let you back in - if at all - is really weird. So now we're in a strange twilight zone that if you think in the future you might want to take a break from the tax, you pay more right now and keep the code in a locked safe for when you might - in 7 years time, say - need it. Or maybe you won't ever need it, because they provided great and useful upgrades every year. Who knows?

PT 2024 Ultimate; W11 Pro; Ryzen 9 7900; 64gb RAM; RME Babyface; UAD Quad Satellite USB; GTX 1050i
Macbook Air M2; 24gb RAM
Old 12-02-2021, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noiseboyuk View Post
Yes it's better than Adobe, but I don't think it's a "no win" situation. Here's how to magically make it win-win - keep reinstatement permanently.

Having to second guess when they might let you back in - if at all - is really weird. So now we're in a strange twilight zone that if you think in the future you might want to take a break from the tax, you pay more right now and keep the code in a locked safe for when you might - in 7 years time, say - need it. Or maybe you won't ever need it, because they provided great and useful upgrades every year. Who knows?
Except of course is no "second guessing" if you keep your perpetual current.

Given the entire notion of opting out and then reinstating after some number of years is simply an attempt to "game the system" to pay less than the annual fee, (understandable that people would want to do that) BUT which only benefits those playing that game, it actually does nothing for either Avid or those renewing every year
The only thing really weird thing is the notion Avid would/should keep a policy in place, that de-incentivizes annual renewal which makes no logical business sense.

The only way in a logical business sense, for permanent reinstatement to not de-incentivize annual perpetual renewal or subscription, would be if it was based on a sliding scale per year of gap based on increasing increments of the annual renewal fee of for example $399 for PT Ultimate .. SO $799 after a 1 year gap, $1199 after 2 years,, $1599 after 3 years and so on.
In other words so there is no monetary benefit to opting out and reinstating,,, and the only benefit would being able to decide when you want to pay the fee, not how much you pay..

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...

Last edited by K Roche; 12-02-2021 at 08:55 AM.
Old 12-02-2021, 06:51 AM

I understood it that this Get Current is a one-time deal. Take it or leave it. Better keep renewing, less trouble and more updates.
Old 12-02-2021, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emi View Post
That's a very good sign. Please Avid bring back reinstatement plan for ever. Knowing that your are covered would bring back my trust in Avid.
+1
Click for audio/video demo
Click for resume
Old 12-02-2021, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K Roche View Post
Except of course is no "second guessing" if you keep your perpetual current.

Given the entire notion of opting out and then reinstating after some number of years is simply an attempt to "game the system" to pay less than the annual fee, (understandable that people would want to do that) BUT which only benefits those playing that game, it actually does nothing for either Avid or those renewing every year
The only thing really weird thing is the notion Avid would/should keep a policy in place, that de-incentivizes annual renewal which makes no logical business sense.

The only way in a logical business sense, for permanent reinstatement to not de-incentivize annual perpetual renewal or subscription, would be if it was based on a sliding scale per year of gap based on increasing increments of the annual renewal fee $399 .. SO $799 after a 1 year gap, $1199 after 2 years,, $1599 after 3 years and so on.
In other words so there is no monetary benefit to opting out and reinstating,,, and the only benefit would being able to decide when you want to pay the fee, not how much you pay..
Wow! Were you sacked by Avid's marketing department for being too hardcore by any chance?

Adobe excepted who are subs only, almost every other audio company has a license and upgrade system in place. If you pay the upgrade fee, you get the shiny new features. If you don't, you don't - your choice.

This, I think, is the part you missed.

If - say - 3 years down the line, you want back in to the latest version, you pay for that. Some companies (eg NI) make this amount the same for everyone, others (eg Steinberg) stagger it so the further back you upgrade from, the more you pay. Arguments go both ways here. What - AFAIK - NOBODY does is make you pay for every second you missed as a punishment. What a brilliant system that would be - you pay for everything as if you owned it, even though you didn't.

The notion that there is "nothing in it for Avid" to work on these lines seems crazy to me. They want to retain old and lapsed customers, as this current promotion shows. And in fact it's a pretty generous deal - it's only $100 more to upgrade from v9 than it is from a current active plan, so they're clearly not thinking along these crazy punishment lines. They just need to do it in a consistent way. And - of course - if they are providing strong new features, people wouldn't want to lapse anyway

PT 2024 Ultimate; W11 Pro; Ryzen 9 7900; 64gb RAM; RME Babyface; UAD Quad Satellite USB; GTX 1050i
Macbook Air M2; 24gb RAM
Old 12-02-2021, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noiseboyuk View Post
Wow! Were you sacked by Avid's marketing department for being too hardcore by any chance?
What an insulting and asinine attempt at deflection . A rhetorical ad hominem attack does absolutely noting to offset the validity of my post or bolster yours ... I have owned one or more businesses my entire adult life and understand that reality....of course YMMV

They only thing I missed was not stating the staggered pricing I suggested was based on PT Ultimate. Obviously the PT standard pricing would reflect being relative it's annual renewal price
Quote:
This, I think, is the part you missed.
If - say - 3 years down the line, you want back in to the latest version, you pay for that. Some companies (eg NI) make this amount the same for everyone, others (eg Steinberg) stagger it so the further back you upgrade from, the more you pay. Arguments go both ways here. What - AFAIK - NOBODY does is make you pay for every second you missed as a punishment. What a brilliant system that would be - you pay for everything as if you owned it, even though you didn't.
No I didn't miss anything, did you miss the fact that the "bold" is exactly what I suggested ???

Quote:
The notion that there is "nothing in it for Avid" to work on these lines seems crazy to me.
There nothing crazy about the fact that there is no advantage for Avid to let people keep opting out and back in, for any amount significantly less than the equivalent amount the annual customers pay over any given number of years

Quote:
They want to retain old and lapsed customers, as this current promotion shows. And in fact it's a pretty generous deal - it's only $100 more to upgrade from v9 than it is from a current active plan, so they're clearly not thinking along these crazy punishment lines. They just need to do it in a consistent way. And - of course - if they are providing strong new features, people wouldn't want to lapse anyway
Kind of blatantly obvious they are attempting to entice lapsed customers back
I would agree with the consistency notion WHICH IN POINT OF FACT. is exactly what my staggered pricing suggestion does
It keeps opting out at a consist cost with staying in. Now that is consistent

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...

Last edited by K Roche; 12-02-2021 at 08:58 AM.