Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12

Old 12-16-2017, 08:43 AM

Default Re: any workflow "workarounds" for lack of automation trim in vanilla?

FWIW, i just realised that if you hover the smart tool at top of automation lane, you can raise or reduce the entire automation for the track (either nothing selected to do so or all selected, or you'll only alter the selected parts)..

I had no idea one could do this, i learn new things every day.

In fact, if i had trim and used HD, i'd still use this method as it's faster. It's the same thing as far as what I personally need it for.

Little tip for those who may have missed it like myself.. and, problem 100% solved!
Old 12-16-2017, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNM View Post
FWIW, i just realised that if you hover the smart tool at top of automation lane, you can raise or reduce the entire automation for the track (either nothing selected to do so or all selected, or you'll only alter the selected parts)..

I had no idea one could do this, i learn new things every day.

In fact, if i had trim and used HD, i'd still use this method as it's faster. It's the same thing as far as what I personally need it for.

Little tip for those who may have missed it like myself.. and, problem 100% solved!
may i ask what happens on the very beginning and very end of the automation you are "Trimming" this way ??? are you seeing Ramping up or down or just the entire line moving ??? curious ..

Macbook Pro july 2014 2.5ghz 16gb ram 512gb SSD - OS11.6.5 - PT 2021.3
Logic Pro X 10.7.4
RME BabyFace Pro
Old 12-16-2017, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john1192 View Post
may i ask what happens on the very beginning and very end of the automation you are "Trimming" this way ??? are you seeing Ramping up or down or just the entire line moving ??? curious ..
i always put a dot 1/16th after the very first one that is at the start of every track anyway, so it doesn't matter. Everything from that dot onwards moves relatively to each other. It works!

:)
Old 03-08-2018, 10:25 AM

I ran into a (very frustrating) edition of this limitation yesterday.

In my case I have a mix I did on the big PTHD/D-Command system. I was then working on it on the little Vanilla/Command-8 system. I have SATB choral overdub tracks each with existing automation to balance the parts. I want to make a slight adjustment to the whole choir at a few spots with a little ride of the fader. On the HD/D-Command system I'd enable the appropriate group(s), put the track into touch automation mode with trim, grab the fader, and make my tweak. The trim gets coalesced into the main volume lane. If I want to tweak later, I just repeat the process as many times as I want. It makes life so easy that I forget I can't do this in vanilla PT.

On the Vanilla/Command8 system, without automation trim if I grab the fader and start writing automation I am not adjusting the existing automation but replacing it. This destroys the part balancing I worked so hard to create.

It seems I have a few workaround choices:
1) Re-write the automation with the fader track by track by watching the old curve and following it "a little bit different."
2) insert a trim plugin and automate its gain. This is still track by track because I can't seem to get my plugins to follow groups on Vanilla PT. And I can only do complex moves once this way.
3) select a section of the automation lanes and use the mouse to "trim"the section up or down. No smooth fades for large adjustments, but at least groups work in this case.
4) bus my choir. In this project I am using sends to generate a poor man's surround mix so if I do that I lose routing flexibility.