How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12

Old 03-01-2015, 01:28 AM

Default Re: Internet connection REQUIRED for subscription

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccanears View Post
Yup. I have. But we need to wait for PT info. All your links point to a system that has been in place for MC for some time. We don't yet know exactly how Avid will deal with PT. Chill.
Ok how are you not reading this very thing?

Avid will slowly migrate all products to this updated licensing platform. As more products migrate to this new technology we will be releasing additional information to this site to assist our customers.

ALL product. Pro Tools is an AVID product. The license terms are already there for MC.
You think they are different for PT?

Put the 420 down.

There is no difference with PT. AVID will migrate ALL software platforms to this method.

What don't you get? One their own WEBPAGE no less, and I am speculating?

Godlord
EFI flashed 580 GPU
3 card PCI-e expansion chassis.
Avid Artist Control
Apollo 8 Quad, Satellite Quad, Octo Card
Cranesong Avocet Monitor System.
WireWorld ProAudio Cables
Old 03-01-2015, 01:36 AM

Lex, this has been up for yonks for the MC peeps. We have to wait and see for PT subscription. If I wish to continue with PT, I meself will go for a perpetual license rather than subscription, although I have other avenues as I have Cubase, Logic etc. For the time being, I will wait for more info from Avid.
I'm not attacking you,as you seemed to be a trifle riled up, so peace out. Same boat.
Old 03-01-2015, 01:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccanears View Post
Lex, this has been up for yonks for the MC peeps. We have to wait and see for PT subscription. If I wish to continue with PT, I meself will go for a perpetual license rather than subscription, although I have other avenues as I have Cubase, Logic etc. For the time being, I will wait for more info from Avid.
I'm not attacking you,as you seemed to be a trifle riled up, so peace out. Same boat.
Thanks Man. I'm not riled. But it is stated very specifically

Quote:
Starting with Media Composer 6.0, Avid will slowly migrate all products to this updated licensing platform
ALL Products. If you are waiting for a different term, it isn't happening.

AVID has been clear on that.
EFI flashed 580 GPU
3 card PCI-e expansion chassis.
Avid Artist Control
Apollo 8 Quad, Satellite Quad, Octo Card
Cranesong Avocet Monitor System.
WireWorld ProAudio Cables
Old 03-03-2015, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexaudio View Post
Avid will slowly migrate all products to this updated licensing platform. As more products migrate to this new technology we will be releasing additional information to this site to assist our customers.

ALL product. Pro Tools is an AVID product. The license terms are already there for MC.
You think they are different for PT?
When I first heard about the cloud collaboration features being added to Pro Tools, I just as well assumed that online licensing was coming our way. However, I was particularly concerned that it meant that software updates would have to be done online as opposed to downloading offline packages. Fortunately, if we're just talking about licensing then it's probably not as bad as it seems.

I think the funny thing about Avid is that they always have a word or two that can really change the overall impression of a statement. From Avid's Unified Licensing Notice at: http://www.avid.com/US/about-avid/le...Avid-Licensing I think that you're 100% right that online activation will be coming to Pro Tools, but that it doesn't necessarily mean that iLok is going away either:
Quote:
Avid is currently developing a Unified Licensing platform that will be utilized across all software products, making it easier for users to activate their Avid products, providing additional options for license types…
The words, "additional options" should be the emphasis here because I think online activations will be just that for Pro Tools: just another option for customers. Also, when companies write legalese such as, "Subscription based software requires an Internet connection", they mostly mean that you just need to have some form of access to the Internet in order to acquire a license, and not that the computer system with the installed software needs to do the actual communicating. In this case there would likely be an alternative solution.

I can think of four basic reasons why Avid would want to have online activations for Pro Tools:
  1. Some people really hate iLok and have expressed that anger to Avid on many occasions;
  2. Lower entry cost for customers new to Pro Tools;
  3. It's easier to convince a new customer to try Pro Tools if they don't have to spend $50 on an iLok dongle just to take advantage of that offer / If they can't hook a potential customer in the first five minutes because they need to order an iLok, then they might be gone for good;
  4. To promote "Cloud Collaboration", Avid needs to get people used to the idea of connecting their systems to the Internet. Online activations can streamline the licensing process for some, and therefore make it more likely that they'll keep their systems connected.
I don't think that the iLok is going away for Pro Tools primarily because it fits right into the workflow of audio professionals. If Pro Tools is considered the "Industry Standard DAW", then iLok is the "Industry Standard Dongle". Unlike video professionals, those in audio demand portability of their tools. iLok is precisely that for us: a toolbox. If I happen to be in a studio that doesn't have a plugin that I prefer to use, then it's much easier to use my iLok than to have someone at my studio "release" a license from a system and then install it at the remote location. ...Then there's having to remember to get that license back from the remote location! It's a hassle. So this is a real plus for iLok and why it'll probably be with Pro Tools for the long haul, unless some other company like Steinberg can push their way in with eLicenser (doubtful). Also, the iLok manager can already handle time-limited/"rental" licenses, so it plays really well with Avid's plan for the future.

So I think that you're on to something here, but that the issue might be more with how Pro Tools software is updated than with how it's licensed. I have no problem with new licensing options so long as I can continue to keep my systems off the net.
Old 03-04-2015, 04:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexaudio View Post
Ok how are you not reading this very thing?

@lexaudio

'We will be releasing additional information' --- THAT very part alludes to the fact that Pro Tools may indeed be subject to different or varying conditions. If it would not, they would have already disclosed the Protools terms.

Never assume anything other than hard-written facts when it comes to licensing !