Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack

Old 01-21-2017, 04:51 AM

Default Re: Eleven Rack Only Recording Dry Guitar Signal no FX

Hey!

I'm having a similar problem but, see I want to record a di guitar on one track and the rig on another.

I've set the ASIO Eleven Rack inputs to:
1 = DI
2 = Rig

But I'm not sure how to assign a track to input 2, as it just records the DI on both.

I did read through this but didn't seem to see this problem specifically.

Hopefully something simple but I'm struggling to find out what to do.

Thanks!

Ted
Old 01-21-2017, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedats View Post
Hey!

I'm having a similar problem but, see I want to record a di guitar on one track and the rig on another.

I've set the ASIO Eleven Rack inputs to:
1 = DI
2 = Rig

But I'm not sure how to assign a track to input 2, as it just records the DI on both.

I did read through this but didn't seem to see this problem specifically.

Hopefully something simple but I'm struggling to find out what to do.

Thanks!

Ted
Some basic info would help. You are using Pro Tools? Is the Eleven Rack set as the playback engine? Or hanging outboard from your Mbox?

You don't so much assign a track to an input as you assign an physical input to a
track.

If using Pro Tools post screen shots of your playback engine dialog, setup>IO>input and tell us what options are showing for each track input selector.
Old 07-17-2017, 09:19 AM

I wanted to refresh this question as I am having the same problem, but it appears that the link to the solution is dead now. I bought my 11R gently used, I do not have ProTools. I would like to record the wet signal from my 11R in GarageBand or even in Audacity on my Macbook Pro (2016), but I see no option to make any selections on the Mac from the audio in (11R) as to wet or dry signal. Is there a setting in the 11R itself that tells the unit to send the wet signal? I feel like I've tried everything and there's no change. I'm going USB only from the 11R to the mac. GB is able to record the dry signal, but no effects whatsoever. Very frustrating as I'm sure its a simple solution, I just cant seem to figure it out.
Appreciate any help!
Old 07-17-2017, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunswan View Post
. . . Is there a setting in the 11R itself that tells the unit to send the wet signal?. . .
Go to page 50 in the 11R manual and read, "Sending the Correct Signal." You can access the same function from the Eleven Rack [standalone] Editor User Options page by right-clicking on the small numbers "1" or "2" inside the small squares.
PT10.3.10HD(Tyan s2932 [8core Shanghai 2.7GHZ] 32GB,Win7 SP1); PT10HD(Tyan s2892 w/10GB, Win7 SP1);PT8HD(Dell 690 quad Xeon 3.0, 8GB, Win7,192 I/O, 96 I/O);MacBook Pro: 11R, Apogee Element 46, Focusrite 8PreX PT HD 11.3.2; Mac Pro 3.47 Hex 32GB, OSX 10.12.6/L10.4.2;L9.1.8, 2.64TB; G5 D2.3 4GB, 10.4.11/L8; 12c MP 2.66/32GB PT12.4; Structure, GigaGS3, Kontakt 5, Garratin, Sibelius 8.7+, Finale26,EMU,Vegas Pro 16-10/; RME HDSP9652,MOTU 2408 MKIII/1224/308, FX,Kurz,L5s,Strat,ASAT,JB,Zon

Last edited by panamajack; 07-17-2017 at 11:59 AM.
Old 07-17-2017, 11:51 AM

Quote:
I wanted to refresh this question as I am having the same problem, but it appears that the link to the solution is dead now. I bought my 11R gently used, I do not have ProTools. I would like to record the wet signal from my 11R in GarageBand or even in Audacity on my Macbook Pro (2016), but I see no option to make any selections on the Mac from the audio in (11R) as to wet or dry signal. Is there a setting in the 11R itself that tells the unit to send the wet signal? I feel like I've tried everything and there's no change. I'm going USB only from the 11R to the mac. GB is able to record the dry signal, but no effects whatsoever. Very frustrating as I'm sure its a simple solution, I just cant seem to figure it out.

Appreciate any help!

The Eleven Rack is a 8 input interface....

1/2 Guitar In/Mic In
3/4 Rig L/R <- The processed rig signal
5/6 Digital In L/R
7/8 Line In L/R

You are using input 1, you need 3 or the 3/4 stereo pair if you want to track stereo from the Eleven Rack.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 07-17-2017, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by panamajack View Post
Go to page 50 in the 11R manual and read, "Sending the Correct Signal." You can access the same function from the Eleven Rack [standalone] Editor User Options page by right-clicking on the small numbers "1" or "2" inside the small squares.
Thank you! I will try this when I get home. I feel like I messed with this setting and it only affected the output to amp, and had no effect on the USB. Should it effect the USB? Maybe mine's defective...?
Old 07-17-2017, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Thank you! I will try this when I get home. I feel like I messed with this setting and it only affected the output to amp, and had no effect on the USB. Should it effect the USB? Maybe mine's defective...?
The Amp1/Amp2 outputs, has *nothing* at all to do with the USB interface features in the Eleven Rack. And no your Eleven Rack is unlikely to be defective, you are very likely to be using it wrong.
Old 07-18-2017, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
The Eleven Rack is a 8 input interface....

1/2 Guitar In/Mic In
3/4 Rig L/R <- The processed rig signal
5/6 Digital In L/R
7/8 Line In L/R

You are using input 1, you need 3 or the 3/4 stereo pair if you want to track stereo from the Eleven Rack.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Got it to work! When I first saw this response, I was scratching my head a bit because I didn't understand what the inputs had to do with this problem.
For those that experience this problem - very simply, FROM WITHIN THE RECORDING SOFTWARE (not in the 11R settings itself) select input 3 or 4 (or 3/4). I haven't tried it yet in Garage Band, but I got it to work in Audacity as well as Reaper (I downloaded a demo version) simply by changing from input 1 to input 3. This is exactly what Darryl said, but this answer seemed vague until you understand what he means (which you wouldn't if you're having this problem). At any rate, it has nothing to do with what signal the 11R is sending, it's what signal the software is picking up.
Thanks all for your help and putting up with what is probably a stupid question.
Old 07-20-2017, 07:50 AM

Quote:
. . . it appears that the link to the solution is dead now . . . I'm going USB only from the 11R to the mac. . .
The link takes you to the main page of Harmony Central: you can find the article under the "Guitars" section, or you can search for "Using Avid's Eleven Rack with ASIO-Compatible Programs."

The article is comprehensive, but was written (in 2010) prior to the release of the 11R standalone editor.

The prior comments in the thread (from 2012) get into a number of issues. Because the 11R can be used routing audio through the USB connection, or with no USB connection using analog and digital connections, or with a combination with the USB connection (permitting rig settings by way of the standalone editor) -- as well as digital or analog connections -- there are several methods of interconnecting and re-amping.

In the above-mentioned article, there are graphical examples of using the 11R's ASIO USB connection with other than Pro Tools software.
PT10.3.10HD(Tyan s2932 [8core Shanghai 2.7GHZ] 32GB,Win7 SP1); PT10HD(Tyan s2892 w/10GB, Win7 SP1);PT8HD(Dell 690 quad Xeon 3.0, 8GB, Win7,192 I/O, 96 I/O);MacBook Pro: 11R, Apogee Element 46, Focusrite 8PreX PT HD 11.3.2; Mac Pro 3.47 Hex 32GB, OSX 10.12.6/L10.4.2;L9.1.8, 2.64TB; G5 D2.3 4GB, 10.4.11/L8; 12c MP 2.66/32GB PT12.4; Structure, GigaGS3, Kontakt 5, Garratin, Sibelius 8.7+, Finale26,EMU,Vegas Pro 16-10/; RME HDSP9652,MOTU 2408 MKIII/1224/308, FX,Kurz,L5s,Strat,ASAT,JB,Zon