Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-04-2011, 11:34 PM

Default Re: Not all regions normalizing equally

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwolford View Post
Thanks Zeuss. I did searches before posting but did not find anything pertaining to this issue. Guess I did not use the right criteria.

I've been using PT 8 do to this process on and off for some time and don't recall issues like this. Either I was less critical to it in the past or just oblivious, I don't know.

@ Slater, the regions were all independent files with no fades, not simply regions from a larger file, It's just as easy to go through and normalize each one as it is to consolidate then normalize. Thanks for the good suggestion though.

I just was able to get around this by pulling all the files from the region list, and placing each file on it's own track (top to bottom timeline drop order instead of left to right), then normalizing.

I think maybe I just do not understand how PT was normalizing, based on the releative regions on a track, instead of behaving like a 2 track editor where if you say "normalize to peak" all files are gained to the new peak regardless of their original peak.
Here. from 2007. http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=211670

Macbook Pro, 2019 (15,1) Mac OS 13.6.6 Ventura,32 Gigs Ram,2.3 GHz I9 8 Core ProTools Ultimate 2024.3.1, Apollo 8 Silver,TwinX.
Old 05-04-2011, 11:42 PM

Thanks Zeuss. That does indeed sound like the same issue.
Old 05-06-2011, 03:56 PM

I am on the same mind set as mentioned above.... a small deviant signal can stop normalize from working properly or in other words its working properly but you don't see/hear a loud(high RMS) signal anywhere in the audio....however that 2 frames of audio will prevent the normalize from actual raising the level.... I have seen this ALOT when using RMS settings, but not so much when using a Peak setting Normalize .... Also RMS doesn't mean it sounds the same level or looks the same level instead it is stating that the audio will not exceed but be brought up to this RMS (your setting) and I have had slight peaks within an audio track that I didn't see until I really zoomed in and once I removed this peak it works fine.

However I do not use Normalize anymore, overrated but a quick solution to things like you are doing, and if you know what your doing you will have much better results using gain and a compressor/limiter to bring everything up equally. I now use a specific preset for compressor/limiter and as long as I gain the audio up to a certain point it all comes out very level.

Good Luck
Old 05-07-2011, 09:30 AM

I agree. Regardless of the medium audio is being produced for, Normalize is for people who want to insure that their perceived levels have been more or less randomized and have no audible relationship to each other whatever.

PT 2023.12 Ultimate | Clarett+ 8Pre | macOS 13.6.3 on a MacBook Pro M1 Max
PT 2023.12 | Saffire Pro 40 | Win10 latest, HP Z440 64GB
Old 05-07-2011, 10:57 AM

Thanks for the replies.

As stated in my original post. this is for a phone game coming out of tiny speakers with limited bandwidth. Normalizing region by region is what I need to do.

Normalizing can be evil. I agree. Got it. Have known this for years. Would not be doing this to my music.

With all that said, this is a function I need and PT seems not to be delivering the way it should.

@Jason the problem was normalizing a group of regions on a single track to peak, region by region, not RMS. The files that failed to normalize as part of the group, will normalize when selected individually.

I appreciate your response.

BTW I am getting what I need done in Sound Forge. It would just be easier to do it in PT.